Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:33 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I've wrestled to get radian rxt install just now. It fits kinda crooked... it's too tall and rubs rear pillar. Can't get it to be straight.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 PM
minthral
Pro

Ordered maxi cosi pria 85 to try next... warning to others...the Dino radian seats just won't work. I guess I'm at least the third one to say this...
Old 08-07-2018, 07:06 PM
wutangmo15
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minthral
Ordered maxi cosi pria 85 to try next... warning to others...the Dino radian seats just won't work. I guess I'm at least the third one to say this...
Yup, I tried the Diono Radian awhile ago and couldn't get it to work.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 PM
rymorg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, will be interested to see your thoughts on the Praia 85 seat to see if it works for you.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Here is a shot of a booster seat (uses Latch, existing belt) installed with the rear seatback removed. I wish I had tried that earlier, it helps a lot. (note the top tether is not used because this is just a full booster, not a 5-point child seat so it doesn't have one) I think the only downside would be that you can't use the seat without a carseat/booster in it since it does take 10 minutes or so to remove/install the seatback. It gives you several inches more room, and it removes any chance the seatback becomes unlatched.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:36 PM
minthral
Pro

How to you remove the back seat? Is it safe to do?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

How to you remove the back seat? Is it safe to do?
I Googled this a while back and found this guide: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cks-991-a.html

I'm not a lawyer and I am firmly against things like trying to ADD seats to a GT3 (lots of threads about that) but in this case it seems to me that it increases the safety, especially if you are using the top tether. With the folding seat removed (to clarify, only the top seatback, don't touch the bottom stuff) you can get it to fit better. If you try it and feel it doesn't make it safer, then put it back...it's hard to say 100% since it might depend on the child seat but for me it is "better". Plus it gives a few more inches to the front passenger, but that isn't a consideration for me.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:00 PM
minthral
Pro

Just removed the back seat rests. The guide is spot on. You must man handle the front clip, but I got it off.

Weighted the rear seats backs. About 10 lb for both.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 PM
minthral
Pro

This let's you set the Dino radian seat back a few inches so it doesn't rub the pillar, but the reason it sits crooked is the base... it's too wide. I measure about 14.5 inches in the back corner where the Latches are. Seems like it needs to be 13 inches or less to fit and have room to be straight.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I just bought the Max Cosi Pria 85 on sale in a discontinued color - man that thing is large! lol. Seeing is believing but so much bigger than the Anton II I used to have.

Boy is almost 2 and 31 lbs so time to go forward! Hoping this means he vomits less on curvy roads on the coast! lol.

EDIT: Another not obvious item to consider in fitment - from 20-40 lbs you are advised to use the seat in recline position 2. This will make the seat take up more room length wise, Will see how it fits....

Last edited by Chris C.; 08-09-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:26 AM
unluckydrawer
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, I felt bad for making my kid slum it in a $37 Graco Youth Booster (translation: after reading this thread, a five point harness still seems safest), so I tried the Maxi-COSI Pria 85. I've only ever used Graco previously: 2 Graco 4ever All-in-Ones, 1 Graco Size4Me 65 in other vehicles. Coming from Graco, I really didn't like the Maxi-COSI five point harness. I couldn't really do everything with one hand, which I can easily do with a Graco. And with the limited room in the 991.1, it's all the more frustrating of an experience securing the child in the seat. Secondly, with the Graco booster, both my wife and my kid could comfortably sit together but to accommodate the Maxi-COSI Pria 85, I really had to push the passenger seat forward even further than before. My wife is fairly petite but it's really cutting it close. Thirdly and lastly, my kid was very uncomfortable. The bottom buckle strap really cupped my kid's crotch, even after adjustment, such that my kid had to elevate legs to be comfortable. For both of the Graco seats, you can see the thighs naturally lying flat.

So I ordered the second most popular seat on this thread, the Graco SlimFit. When you have one Graco you've had them all. Very similar to my Graco 4ever All-in-One. One handed operation is very easy. The only thing is that I am sure my kid will outgrow this car seat very quickly because I can't pull the Graco seat any higher. There is only a little bit of wiggle room left in the harness. The only way to give my kid more room would be to pull up the height of the Graco seat, but that isn't possible because the seat is already hitting the roof liner. I may have to remove the 991.1 seats to make more room if I want to keep that Graco seat for any longer period of time. Kid is currently 32lbs, so I'm hoping this Graco SlimFit to last up through 41 lbs with the current 991.1 height restrictions (the SlimFit in a tall SUV would be perfectly fine, for example).

The SlimFit takes up much less space than the Maxi-COSI from my fitting, but still takes up more space than the Graco Booster despite the Booster looking much larger. It's because the Booster can almost lie flat against the back of the seat, with the Maxi-COSI jutting out the most.

All in all, my kid was infinitely more comfortable in the Graco Affix Youth Booster, but obviously it is the least secure. Once my kid is at a good weight, I will put that booster back in there.

EDIT: 08/09/2018
Eyeballing the SlimFit, I just couldn't shake the feeling that the 4Ever seemed smaller. I was right. From the top down view you can see the SlimFit also juts out a little bit more. From my fitting, the 4Ever fit better than the SlimFit. See pics below.

Graco Affix Youth Booster Seat with Latch System, Grapeade

Maxi-COSI Pria 85 Special Edition Car Seat, Black Crystal on the Left. Graco Booster on the Right.

Maxi-COSI Pria 85 Special Edition Car Seat, Black Crystal

My kid in Maxi-COSI Pria 85 Special Edition Car Seat, Black Crystal

Graco SlimFit All-in-One Convertible Car Seat, Annabelle on the Left.

Graco SlimFit All-in-One Convertible Car Seat, Annabelle

My kid in the Graco SlimFit All-in-One Convertible Car Seat, Annabelle.

EDIT: 08/09/2018
Eyeballing the SlimFit, I just couldn't shake the feeling that the 4Ever seemed smaller. I was right. From the top down view you can see the SlimFit also juts out a little bit more. From my fitting, the 4Ever fit better than the SlimFit.

Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Cougar, One Size - in the center.

SlimFit sticks out a little bit more. I aligned both seats using the grout line from the tile flooring.

Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Cougar, One Size

My kid in the Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Cougar, One Size

Last edited by unluckydrawer; 08-09-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:28 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Per the recommendation on this thread, i picked up 2 maxi cosi Rodifix seats. They fit perfectly - almost as if they were made to fit the back seats of a 991. Install was a breeze and once installed there is no movement of the seat. Its very rigid with the latch connection. My 4 and 5 year old fit perfectly with plenty of leg room and we don't have to move the front seats forward.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM
minthral
Pro

I just installed maxi cosi pia 85. the back seat rest is removed. I short...finally a seat that fits well!

I got it in the number 2 position so it reclines more. It works with number 1 just as well. The seat is very light weight and simple compared to radian.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM
minthral
Pro

Wife has plenty of space to get comfortable while the kid is in the back. It tightened everything and its solid. Not many downsides...easy to install and remove and the top side cushions adjust easy up and down along with the harness belt. It's great.

My pic is position 2 (20-40 LB). Position 1 is for 40-85lb and that's what someone else posted with the seat backs in place.

The seat has a harness and can accommodate a 1-4 year old. Rodifix is a booster for older kids and I'll get that later probably. Seems like maxi cosi makes good gear.. their infant rear facing seat is good too (though I ended up with nuna pipa which fits, but the front passenger seat is unusable).
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

My better half just ordered an extra booster seat from Volvo for our XC60, which arrived missing its base. Still, the narrow headrest looks like a dream come true in the 991—as the Maxi-Cosi tilts a bit due to the C-pillar. Will report back when I know more, but this is the seat:

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...SABEgJ49PD_BwE

Quick Reply: Child Carseat That Fits 991s Coupe Rear Seat