Tequipment Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviaros21
Darn....tried the trunks 12v socket too. No luck. Bummer

Did you see my original post before I edited it? It sounds like you might have to do a direct battery hookup since you don't have the cigarette lighter option (as opposite to 12v power outlets), but not sure you have time to take care of that before your trip. Here's the part if you have time to order it.

If all else fails before trip time, you can put the car fully to sleep by double pressing the lock button on the fob, twice within two seconds. This turns off the ultrasonics for the motion sensor and minimizes current draw as much as I think you can. The car confirms this by flashing the blinkers twice, then long-flashing them one more time (the confirmation that the alarm is disabled). With the newer AGM batteries the cars have less problems with down-time anyway, so unless you are going to be gone quite a while (many weeks or more) it probably isn't a problem. When you return, you may have to use the physical key slid inside the back of the fob to unlock the car since it will turn off the electronics for the fob in about a week. On the 991 the slot is under the handle, not sure about a Panamera.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much. Big help. Going to try the sleep mode.
won’t have time to get the adapter but will get it for the future.

practiced using the mini key to unlock the door, also behind the door handle, hidden.
But how will the car “wake up” if electronics are down? Or is it just the fob that will turn off?
Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Once you unlock with the key and start the car everything will wake back up.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quality stuff. Appreciate the swift help.
will be traveling for 2 weeks. Let’s see how this goes
Old 09-17-2018, 01:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I'd have no worries at all with only 2 weeks, I've left mine longer than that with no problems at all. You can put this out of your mind!
Best wishes for a great trip!
Old 09-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

On the Suncoast site they mention that the newer cars will turn off the sockets as they enter sleep mode unless you lock the vehicles doors. I have been using the charge-o-mat on my '14 991 and haven't had any issues. I plug it into the lighter port in the center console(I have the smoker's option), turn on the charger, and then lock the doors. No issues for the last year of use. I have the CTEK version plugged directly into my battery on the '88 911 with no issues and the older wall plug in Porsche charger on the '08 Cayman with no issues.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
On the Suncoast site they mention that the newer cars will turn off the sockets as they enter sleep mode unless you lock the vehicles doors....
Excellent find! I guess that explains the varying reports we've seen about success with the outlets. Hopefully the Panamera will follow the example of the 911 models.

Here's the text from Suncoast's site:

Vehicle Specific Notes (updated):

981, 991, & 718 - For 2013-2018 Boxster, Cayman, & 911 Carrera models: Long term storage can put these cars in "Sleep Mode", which will disable the center console plug socket and shut off the battery maintainer. To bypass this, lock the door after setting up the battery maintainer. Or directly connect the battery maintainer to the recommended charging points using the optional alligator clips.

Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.
For North American usage only, contact us if you're outside this area.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 AM
pbinsf
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTEK plug not very secure

I have trouble with mine…there was a little red sleeve for the cig lighter plug adapter on my ctek and it came off…I may have to try to put it back on as this doesn't seat well and sometimes it seems to jiggle lose…then I lose my connection and it flashes…otherwise, I get a row of lights lit up as it progresses through the program. I prefer the CTEK one to the PORSCHE branded one, which only indicates via one light if I remember…the CTEK one gives me more indication as to where it is in the program…just to get that cig lighter adapter to stay put…(actually, I put in pass footwell plug on my 14 C4). close door on cord.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pbinsf
I have trouble with mine…there was a little red sleeve for the cig lighter plug adapter on my ctek and it came off…I may have to try to put it back on as this doesn't seat well and sometimes it seems to jiggle lose…then I lose my connection and it flashes…otherwise, I get a row of lights lit up as it progresses through the program. I prefer the CTEK one to the PORSCHE branded one, which only indicates via one light if I remember…the CTEK one gives me more indication as to where it is in the program…just to get that cig lighter adapter to stay put…(actually, I put in pass footwell plug on my 14 C4). close door on cord.
I had the same problem. I just super-glued the sleeve on and it stays there. You could also use plastic model glue.

BTW, the smaller adapter (without the sleeve) allows it to fit some European plugs like those on BMW motorcycles.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 AM
shatzi56
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I found this thread. I have been using a Battery Tender connected to my 12V socket in the console of my 2017 Cayman S for two years without an issue. Just purchased a 992 911 and here is my issue.

The first day I had it, we took a drive and when arrived home, knowing that it would sit until the following week (went on vacation), I plugged the Battery Tender into the 12 V socket located in the passenger foot well. Worked like a charm. I recently went away for the weekend taking the 911 and upon arrival back home, parked it in the garage for two days (no charger connected). So, I then plugged the Battery Tender in and now, after 20 minutes, it gets disconnected and flashes orange (indicates improper charging). Tried turning the ignition on for a minute then off, plugged the Battery Tender back in and again, after 20 minutes, flashing orange again.

Will now try locking the doors (read this in a previous post) to see if that prevents the 12V from going to sleep.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:43 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Try turning the plug in the 12v socket just slightly while keeping an eye on the Battery Tender lights. I've found that the connection may just not be right and a slight turn will give you a green (flashing) light.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM
shatzi56
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point, I tried everything! Nothing is working. Very frustrating, especially since I was initially able to charge it through the 12V socket. When the car was sitting for a few days, that seemed to screw it up. Called the dealer and spoke to a service rep and he was TOTALLY useless. I have a feeling the cars computer has to be reprogrammed, which will be addressed when I bring the car in for a service.

For now, I have the charging cable with ring terminals connected directly to the battery and snaked it through that cheap plastic cover for easy access. It works fine this way.
Old 02-25-2023, 02:33 PM
gdavis1906
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charger not working

Hi,

when I plug in the charger and select the car battery mode none of the top row lights illuminate. Doesn’t seem to be charging the battery at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Tequipment Battery Charger