Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you/do you regret having NO sunroof in your 991 ?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

I looked for a used car without a sunroof as I never use them and don't like look of the cars with sunroofs (well like them less). Plus as already noted they add weight in the wrong place and reduce rigidity
Old 03-22-2018, 02:59 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
For future resale value? Do you consider paying $2K (or whatever it costs) for something, to get maaaaybe $500 back, a good return? Every individual option (with maybe a very very, slight few) depreciates. A sunroof is no exception, you will lose money on that sunroof at the time of selling the car.

Resale ease? I can give you that, as long as you sell private party (if you trade in to a dealer, you will lose the ENTIRE amount of what you paid for that sunroof), but even there, lots of people look for solid roof 911's (I should know, I tried my hardest to find one).
Maybe its just me, I've given up searching in the used market for one without sunroof. With all things equal, I would pay an extra $1K for one without sunroof. That's how much I hate it.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Is that figure on a glass or steel sunroof 991? I’m sure the glass weighs quite a bit more.
Can't remember. I got that info reading a European Porsche magazine regarding weight for the sunroof. It list a lot of parts which include, rails, braces, motor, extra layers of cover, hinge mechanism for wind deflectors etc...... and it comes to about 30kg....all on the very top of the vehicle.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:12 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

^how does that affect handling anywhere but track? There is no such thing as "sunroof delete". Its an option.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
^how does that affect handling anywhere but track?
Why would anything magically affect the handling on the track differently than on other roads?
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Why would anything magically affect the handling on the track differently than on other roads?
Guys here are worried about the 60 lbs up high. I'm just saying that the only place that MIGHT be noticeable is on a track with a seasoned veteran at the wheel.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Guys here are worried about the 60 lbs up high. I'm just saying that the only place that MIGHT be noticeable is on a track with a seasoned veteran at the wheel.
But the rigidity of a street car... ANY 911 gets you 98%.... the other 2% is fluff. I say it over and over.... we all agonize here on the forum over micro details that really don'y matter. If you have a preference then seek out your druthers but don't justify it to the rest of us because of something you heard about somewhere.

Raise your hand please if you're a good enough driver to make a material difference in lap times with vs without a sunroof. Then please tell me how you've maxed out your 911's capabilities on a track but don't race for a living and have a dedicated track car.

If you really want to drop weight in the car then drop that pesky HVAC and those heavy airbag devices. We all know the stereo sucks so get rid of that too. But better not get a half cage either or we'll heckle you for that too.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:44 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R_Rated
But the rigidity of a street car... ANY 911 gets you 98%.... the other 2% is fluff. I say it over and over.... we all agonize here on the forum over micro details that really don'y matter. If you have a preference then seek out your druthers but don't justify it to the rest of us because of something you heard about somewhere.

Raise your hand please if you're a good enough driver to make a material difference in lap times with vs without a sunroof. Then please tell me how you've maxed out your 911's capabilities on a track but don't race for a living and have a dedicated track car.

If you really want to drop weight in the car then drop that pesky HVAC and those heavy airbag devices. We all know the stereo sucks so get rid of that too. But better not get a half cage either or we'll heckle you for that too.
Thats what I was getting at. I agree 100%. If you like a sunroof, get one.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Thats what I was getting at. I agree 100%. If you like a sunroof, get one.
I agree with tthat...

I think you’d have to know what you’re doung to appreciably have different lap times... but 60lbs up top I feel like most people could feel that it’s a bit more rolley even if they don’t have the skills to take advantage of it in terms of lap times.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. No cost option for sunroof delete. Pay more for sunroof variants.
For some you get xtra helmet room w/o sunroof.
For me not a factor :-(
Old 03-22-2018, 06:59 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Even my 991.2 GTS cab feels completely rigid, no body flex at all that I can detect even when I really push the car. I just don't think that a sunroof would be noticeable by most people.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Yes. No cost option for sunroof delete. Pay more for sunroof variants.
For some you get xtra helmet room w/o sunroof.
For me not a factor :-(
On the 991.2 there's no sunroof delete because there's no sunroof on the coupe. If you want one, you have to specify and pay for it like any other option.

I don't much like sunroofs, so I left mine off, along with the additional weight up top (yes I know I probably won't feel it, but physics says it can't be doing any good) and the$1500-2000 cost. Haven't missed it for a millisecond.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:30 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I rarely use a sunroof. Really didn't want one in the new GTS. Wife's only input on ordering the car was it "needed a sunroof". I reluctantly got the sunroof.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I've had 911s with and without them, prefer without if it's an option

I rarely used the sunroof when I had it, and both the glass and non-glass versions look very weird to me with the sunroof open as the actual part of the sunroof that opens goes on top and slides back on the car, plus I had a concern with rattles on the glass option

On other cars it's great to have as it opens up the interior even closed if it's actual glass, but for a sports car my main focus and enjoyment is for the driving dynamics
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 429 Likes on 289 Posts

I've had cars both with/without sunroof. I almost never fully opened the sunroof. I'd sometimes raise the back to take advantage of ventilation. My current 991.2 C2 GTS is sunroof delete.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you/do you regret having NO sunroof in your 991 ?