HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts
Default accident/"bad" Carfax not necessarily reason to avoid

[QUOTE=driIve;12918429]
Originally Posted by STG991
Accident

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...AB2A98CS120337

Ahh thank you kind sir. wish the dealers would just note that in the comments section, or at least provide an autocheck report. it would save everyone a lot of time.

the search continues...

Obviously this is very personal, but an accident or "bad" Carfax is not necessarily a reason to avoid...it may be an opportunity for a great deal. At the very least, it may be worth investigating, if you are so inclined. Truly cosmetic damage can be repaired to like-new or new and may result in a nice buy for you, especially if you plan to keep and drive it a long time.

No knowledge of or affiliation with this car...just my two bits.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Maketrax
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm new to Rennlist and i'm looking for my first Porsche. Right now the 991 C2S is at the top of my list. Thanks STG991 for getting this thread started. So much great information.

One Carfax I came across for a 2012 had 7 "Voluntary Service Action" entries in the last 2 years. Is that a concern? Looking over other Carfax's I really haven't seen many "VSA" entries... much less 7.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hlvg
Sometimes I see cars listed with a "741 PCNA Display Vehicle".
I understand this means the car was owned by PCNA and used for either car shows or demo but should that raise any concern from a buyer perspective?
Or is it a good thing somehow?
I asked around. A car that was probably used at an auto show or something.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maketrax
Hello everyone. I'm new to Rennlist and i'm looking for my first Porsche. Right now the 991 C2S is at the top of my list. Thanks STG991 for getting this thread started. So much great information.

One Carfax I came across for a 2012 had 7 "Voluntary Service Action" entries in the last 2 years. Is that a concern? Looking over other Carfax's I really haven't seen many "VSA" entries... much less 7.

Thanks!
Welcome. These "service actions" are just little factory fixes that get taken care of during service visits. A 2012.5 will have more than say a newer 2014. Overall, the 991.1 generation has proved to be very reliable and solid. No major issues.

Good luck with your search. You should learn a lot here hopefully.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=HelpMeHelpU;12918513]
Originally Posted by driIve

Obviously this is very personal, but an accident or "bad" Carfax is not necessarily a reason to avoid...it may be an opportunity for a great deal. At the very least, it may be worth investigating, if you are so inclined. Truly cosmetic damage can be repaired to like-new or new and may result in a nice buy for you, especially if you plan to keep and drive it a long time.

absolute, totally agree. unfortunately this car is not local to me, otherwise i may have offered to take it for a PPI/body shop for inspection, perhaps end up w/ a great deal like you said!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:14 PM
STG
Race Director

2013 C2S with only 14K miles and CPO. Pick it up closer to $75K and a great deal. Looks very clean! SPASM too!

http://www.herbchambersporscheofbost...m#&gid=1&pid=7

Last edited by STG; 01-11-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Would love to hear from the experts.

2014 911.1 4S Cab. 7400 miles, non CPO

MSRP was 138k, espresso/cognac leather interior.

Dealer asking for 96k. I would not buy without CPO. warranty start date was 5/13/14.

Think 90k with CPO is a good deal, if they take it.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kennethjk
Hi

Would love to hear from the experts.

2014 911.1 4S Cab. 7400 miles, non CPO

MSRP was 138k, espresso/cognac leather interior.

Dealer asking for 96k. I would not buy without CPO. warranty start date was 5/13/14.

Think 90k with CPO is a good deal, if they take it.
A CPO is worth like $3K

Don't think they'd bite on adding a CPO and a $6K trim. Realistically $95K with a CPO would be more likely. Start making them offers. You never know.

You're dealing with the wrong dealer (not naming) to expect that much of a discount, trust me
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

A CPO is worth like $3K

Don't think they'd bite on adding a CPO and a $6K trim. Realistically $95K with a CPO would be more likely. Start making them offers. You never know.
Yeah, maybe it was too greedy.

I saw a 2014 911.1 S coupe with 7500 miles listed at first 95k and now down to 89k. It's been around for a few months so it may go for 87k or so. Considering the one I first mentioned has a 20k higher MSRP I guess 95k is reasonable with CPO

Thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

A CPO is worth like $3K

You're dealing with the wrong dealer (not naming) to expect that much of a discount, trust me
I've seen a few dealers drop their prices considerably to move a used car and then up it again as mentioned earlier by a few people.

I guess you have to catch them on the right day
Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 PM
STG
Race Director

I've seen a few dealers drop their prices considerably to move a used car and then up it again as mentioned earlier by a few people.

Very true!!!

Start the communication with them. If they know you're interested at a certain price, they'll keep you in mind. Things can be very unpredictable with some dealers. All the sudden they need to move cars for some reason, you can catch a nice $5K drop easily. Especially the longer they have them in stock! Then the pressure is on. They usually aren't too motivated to discount on cars that just hit inventory. 2-3 months sitting, them want them gone.

My car was listed at $95K for a while, and then they voluntarily dropped it $5K one day to $89,900. I jumped on it right away and paid asking. CPO with only 2,300 miles with a $120K build. $30K off sticker with only 2,300 miles and a CPO was very fair to me. $30K isn't a small chunk of change for the mileage someone can rack up in two months! In my case, the car was only driven that in 2yrs by the previous owner.

Was looking forever for a GT Silver C2S coupe optioned like I wanted.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

[QUOTE=HelpMeHelpU;12918513]
Originally Posted by driIve

Personal maybe, cosmetic perhaps, nice buy possible, but "accident in rear" would elevate my concern or more to the point, cool my interest. There is always another deal for another car that hasn't been hit in the engine.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:38 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Here's my advice for what it's worth.

1) Find out how sales are at the dealership. Ask the SA how business is looking in a pretty innocent - wanna just make conversation kind of way. I find they usually tell you the truth. Next, see how many people are at the dealership shopping for cars. Check their website and see if inventory is moving. If everything is suggesting slow sales, then you can and should be more aggressive.

2) Next, figure out what the car is worth to you. With this, don't just make up a low number or a big discount. We all want great deals but you need to justify your number with some data. I went online and searched nationally for similarly equipped cars and printed out a bunch of spec sheets with pricing, etc. My price was based on these. That white C2S above that STG posted would be a great one to price compare with since it's below market.

3) Go in with your checkbook, tell them your offer and show them the other cars you're considering and why your price is fair. If you have access to Mannheim auction prices then between that and Kelly trade-in values, Edmunds values, etc. online you can get a pretty good idea of what they paid for it and approximately how much they stand to profit. Make sure it's reasonable. They won't sell you the car for $500 profit, for example.

4) Stand firm on your price. Tell them you're prepared to walk away and purchase one of the other cars you printed out for them (especially effective if it's another local car that's cheaper) if they don't want to do your deal.

5) BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY. If you can walk away, you'll always win the negotiation.

6) Sit back and admire the beauty you just acquired sitting in your driveway, pour yourself a drink, and relish in your hard work. Did this work for me? You bet. I walked away the first time only to be called back in the next day and ended up getting the car at my offer price which was a $10k discount off asking (which was a pretty reasonable number to begin with).
Old 01-11-2016, 11:13 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 206 Posts

FWIW my dad just bought a 2014 Panamera S with 25k miles and $116k build for $62.5k with CPO, original dealer asking price was $79.9k without CPO. I went to look at a 2014 911 C2S at Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas and they immediately offered me ~$8k off their $87k asking price without negotiation on a $120k+ build. Mileage was high (37k) or else I would have been more interested....sales guy told me before I went in that he thought the car had 3.7k miles on it. Bit of a difference, lol. There is a huge amount of room in most of these cars.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:20 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
FWIW my dad just bought a 2014 Panamera S with 25k miles and $116k build for $62.5k with CPO, original dealer asking price was $79.9k without CPO. I went to look at a 2014 911 C2S at Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas and they immediately offered me ~$8k off their $87k asking price without negotiation on a $120k+ build. Mileage was high (37k) or else I would have been more interested....sales guy told me before I went in that he thought the car had 3.7k miles on it. Bit of a difference, lol. There is a huge amount of room in most of these cars.
Very true. I am looking at a 2013 C4S and the dealer is asking $109K for it with 10K miles...... Similarly optioned cars with lower mileage had mid 80s asking price in my area.....At 109K I am not even motivated to call the dealer.

Unfortunately, most dealers are fishing and the end up offering large discounts to move cars.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991