Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you open the trunk if your battery is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How do you open the trunk if your battery is dead?

I just came back from a long trip and thankfully the car started right up, but my other cars all had dead batteries.

I see there is an emergency key to open the door, but will the truck open if the battery is dead? If not how would you get it open?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

In all seriousness, read the manual -- flip to the section titled Emergency Maintenance (iirc).

I could tell you that you can just hook up jumper cables to the posts on the fuse box under the dash (which is correct) but there's more to it than that -- it's a little bit complicated. I have to read up on it every time it happens (thrice in about the last six years, including this weekend after I left something plugged into the ciggy lighter and turned on.) You need to see the little drawing of where to connect the POS lead, and where to connect the NEG. I'm sure the Google probably has instructions too, but who knows if what you find will be correct, or just somebody's way of doing it that's always worked before but might blow up your battery if you screw up? So I'd go to the horse's mouth.

And for everyone -- I hadn't thought about this before this week. I always keep a set of jumper cables in the frunk. But it just dawned on me this weekend that I could need the cables to get the frunk open. How frustrating would it be to find yourself in a deserted parking lot after a late movie, and one car pulls up to help you. She has no jumper cables, but you do so no problem! Except... they're in the trunk, which you can't open without a pair of jumper cables.

So now I keep them under the pax seat, in back floorboard.
The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
IXLR8 (01-14-2020), Omega4 (01-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got time and access, (ie. at home or work in a garage), you could use a cigarette lighter port battery charger/tender to get some juice to the battery.

Also, not a bad idea to use this routinely if your car is parked for extended periods.
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (01-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Another exclusive Porsche feature brought to you by engineers who take a bus to work.

Really, what in the world was wrong with running an emergency release cable into to the cabin?
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
Roswell88 (01-12-2020), TwinTurbo420 (01-11-2020)
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Another exclusive Porsche feature brought to you by engineers who take a bus to work.

Really, what in the world was wrong with running an emergency release cable into to the cabin?
That would add too much weight and would hardly be "state of the art".
Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vic and Ray
If you've got time and access, (ie. at home or work in a garage), you could use a cigarette lighter port battery charger/tender to get some juice to the battery. Also, not a bad idea to use this routinely if your car is parked for extended periods.
Doesn't work if you disconnect the battery then close the frunk.... I know 'someone' who did that a couple of weeks ago... I know what you're all thinking
Old 03-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I remember reading here that you can access an area when the passenger door is open (in A pillar) to access the frunk - I'll have to search for it. I could be thinking of something completely different of course.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
I think I remember reading here that you can access an area when the passenger door is open (in A pillar) to access the frunk - I'll have to search for it. I could be thinking of something completely different of course.
That might be a release for the gas cap door.

The emergency frunk release is usually hidden in the front passenger wheel well area.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 PM
Oh1-911
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The emergency manual release cable (991- 2014) is underneath the left headlamp and can only be found by pulling out the left inner fender liner when the trunk is locked. This may be fine for the dealer, but I don't think any of us want to do this by the side of the road.

While I had my bumper off for cleaning I re-routed the cable around the headlamp base and put a loop extension on it so that it can be found right behind the left marker light. The marker light pops out easily if you need to get to the cable.
Attached Images      
The following 4 users liked this post by Oh1-911:
Cur (01-15-2024), edirtaynine (07-12-2021), Papa Fittig (01-14-2020), TwinTurbo420 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-31-2016, 11:26 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Pretty nifty!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Follow the instructions for putting 12 volts to the fuse block connector and using the remote to open the frunk. It is a lot easier than fishing around for the cable in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Oh1-911
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Follow the instructions for putting 12 volts to the fuse block connector and using the remote to open the frunk. It is a lot easier than fishing around for the cable in my opinion.

Yes I agree, but the cable will work even if the latch solenoid dies or there is a loose wire, etc.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh1-911
Yes I agree, but the cable will work even if the latch solenoid dies or there is a loose wire, etc.
Yes, agreed. I luckily didn't have these issues on my Cayman at the time, and
I used my nifty portable battery jump to apply 12v to the system and press the button on the remote. Anyway you cut it. What an oversight on Porsche's part.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:15 AM
paul29
Rennlist Member

The manual release cable inside is probably the best idea due to the fact it cannot be used if the door is locked and almost all vehicles have it that way today. The present setup is poor, if an other vehicle is parked close to the driver's side it would be difficult to do the jump cables at the fuse block or access the remote cable unless it was modified as suggested above. If the modification became popular, valuables would not remain in the frunk very long. As far as weight saving electric solenoids are not light.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Default Love this idea

Originally Posted by Oh1-911
The emergency manual release cable (991- 2014) is underneath the left headlamp and can only be found by pulling out the left inner fender liner when the trunk is locked. This may be fine for the dealer, but I don't think any of us want to do this by the side of the road.

While I had my bumper off for cleaning I re-routed the cable around the headlamp base and put a loop extension on it so that it can be found right behind the left marker light. The marker light pops out easily if you need to get to the cable.

Oh-1, I like your idea, and would like to get some further input from you on how to do that. Would you happen to have additional photos? Where do you get the cable for your loop and how did you make it? Would I have to remove the bumper to do this job, or is there another easier method? I'm guessing it's easy to pop off the side markers?
Thanks for any advice you can offer. I think it's just crazy that we do not have a manual release in the cabin.

Quick Reply: How do you open the trunk if your battery is dead?