Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Took the 991 racing! Top Speed Event! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/860541-took-the-991-racing-top-speed-event.html)

Bigalfromfl 02-25-2015 10:30 PM

Took the 991 racing! Top Speed Event!

Sorry it took me so long to post this up guys/gals!

Back in January, the 23rd, the Mrs and I headed up to Ocala and took part in a 1/2 mile top speed event put on by WannaGoFast.

I've raced in a few other mile long top speed events, but this was my first 1/2 mile and the first 'event' I've had the 991 in. I was pretty pumped!

The day turned out to be a great day after raining the Friday before and the morning of the race. It cleared up, the sun came out, the airstrip dried off and we were racing!

Temps were in the low to mid 60's. Sunny, and very windy. 20-25+mph gusts.

I ran a total of three times and was fine with this. It was a long day and the staging line was LONG. Was about an hour wait or so between runs. I had to warm it up and bring it up to temp before each run.

My first run I used launch control: I smoked the tires off the line thru 1st and 2nd gear and had to pedal it to get it back in line. NO BS. I have vid to prove it! It was a wild ride that I did not expect. Thought I would just hook and go! Negative ghost rider! LOL

2nd and 3rd runs: sport plus and just punched it when the green light came on.

The car was very, very consistent and has one helluva top end pull. It didn't blow me away with the initial acceleration, however, like I said, the top end was impressive.

Hope this is enjoyable info to some of you here!

My MPH's:
54/Sizzle Chest 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S (N/A) (350whp)139.6648 139.2327 139.6648 Avg:139.6648

STG 02-25-2015 10:39 PM

Nice!!

Video please!

Bigalfromfl 02-25-2015 10:41 PM

^^^^I will try to post it up. Not the greatest quality and it's from a distance. My buddy shot it, but they weren't letting people that close to the line.

let me see if I can post it up!

STG 02-25-2015 10:44 PM

Did you have anyone in the passenger seat?

Bigalfromfl 02-25-2015 10:47 PM

No. No passengers were allowed. You could either do a solo pass or run with someone next to you. I raced a C5 Corvette ZO6 all three times. Spanked that @ss too! LOL

He got the hole shot on me every time, however , I chased him down on the top end and passed him. It was a LOT of fun!

Bigalfromfl 02-25-2015 10:52 PM

STG 02-25-2015 11:00 PM

Awesome. I'm surprised the back end swung around like that. Smoking those tires too!!

Fun stuff!

Really windy as well.

Bigalfromfl 02-25-2015 11:13 PM

Yep, came around like a 'regular' front engine rear drive car!

It was FUN!!! I can't wait to do it again!

drcollie 02-26-2015 12:41 AM

You might want to try a real track day...you get those 1/2 mile straights AND an entry / exit corner on each end of it plus another mile plus of curvy track to go with it. Not to rain on your event, but going fast on a straight is actually where you 'rest' on a road race track day to get ready for the difficult part of the course. Best part is, you come into the straight at speed, typically 60 to 80 mph so you can really wick it up much more so than a standing start event. Doing that day you did looks actually quite boring in comparison....

Bigalfromfl 02-26-2015 12:55 AM

^^^Well I had a good time! I guess I'm not as tough as you 'real' race car drivers! LOL

I've participated in a bunch of mile events and let me tell you they are anything but boring with what I was driving and the speeds I was hitting...no relaxing at all.

Actually, a track day on a road course is on my bucket list...

Grunty 02-26-2015 09:10 AM

I had fun at the porsche driving school. Not intimidating at all and no egos. Very safe too.

Team Plutonium 02-26-2015 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 12071057)
You might want to try a real track day...you get those 1/2 mile straights AND an entry / exit corner on each end of it plus another mile plus of curvy track to go with it. Not to rain on your event, but going fast on a straight is actually where you 'rest' on a road race track day to get ready for the difficult part of the course. Best part is, you come into the straight at speed, typically 60 to 80 mph so you can really wick it up much more so than a standing start event. Doing that day you did looks actually quite boring in comparison....

I like regular track events and drag racing events. With the NA 911 and the previous M3 I did plenty of track days, but not on a competition level (point-bys only), the quarter mile or half mile events let me be a bit more competitive (with the modded TT) without the risk of landing in the kitty litter or swapping paint with another car (still a risk, but less so). I do rolling start events - 60mph, and then gun it. Tons of fun!

jimbo1111 02-26-2015 09:00 PM

I was surprised that the vette was able to launch quicker that you. Did you have traction control on?

Bigalfromfl 02-26-2015 09:35 PM

I did have it on. The traction that day was very poor. And...I will admit...it was me sleeping at the tree a little too!

Team Plutonium 02-27-2015 09:41 AM

The 991S is surprisingly quick at these events, and can hold their own quite well against higher hp cars. I raced a Viper GTS in October in a quarter mile race, and he had a very hard time to pass me, but the second I shifted into 4th he pulled ahead. 2 weeks later I bought the turbo, because I'm 8 years old. ;)