Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks gorgeous, even filthy!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
Car looks gorgeous, even filthy!
Hahah, thanks man. Might have some nice clean pics coming soon as I told my detailer to take photos during the detail/Opticoat process. Get the car back in an hour or so.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got serious envy! Really makes me think of selling mine and upgrading!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Hugh Jardon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude! Seriously?!?! How can you drive that machine in the snow like that and subject it to those conditions? It rained last night in Southern California and I left my SBM C2S in the nice cozy garage just because the roads were a bit damp this morning.

I guess I am a pansy when it comes to driving nice cars in those conditions...I couldn't hang with you a;; up in the Great White North eh...
Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Vise
Drifting

Yes, you are a pansy.

I kid I kid... seriously, to each their own but it is a car not the holy grail. I have it fully protected (full front clip paint protection, heavy coat of Opticoat Pro), it will get professionally detailed twice a year, and when the weather is nice it will be washed weekly. I'm not out to cause damage/harm to my car but I'm also not spending $150k on a fine machine to let it sit in the garage all the time.

Some people will choose to have two cars (say an M4 and an SUV) for each season but I'd rather have one kick *** ride and go with it full time. I'm not the only one either, I see a 991 Turbo S on my short commute to the office a couple times per week. There was a guy in Toronto a couple years back that winter drove a Ferrari F430 and Gallardo too. That is extreme but I love the idea behind it.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:01 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yes, you are a pansy.

I kid I kid... seriously, to each their own but it is a car not the holy grail. I have it fully protected (full front clip paint protection, heavy coat of Opticoat Pro), it will get professionally detailed twice a year, and when the weather is nice it will be washed weekly. I'm not out to cause damage/harm to my car but I'm also not spending $150k on a fine machine to let it sit in the garage all the time.

Some people will choose to have two cars (say an M4 and an SUV) for each season but I'd rather have one kick *** ride and go with it full time. I'm not the only one either, I see a 991 Turbo S on my short commute to the office a couple times per week. There was a guy in Toronto a couple years back that winter drove a Ferrari F430 and Gallardo too. That is extreme but I love the idea behind it.
FINALLY!!....someone who thinks like me.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM
PDK1965
Instructor

Yes, you are a pansy.

1+ Brake dust, a little dirt, rain, even snow. 100% agreement!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Vise
Drifting

Got my winter tire situation all sorted out today, swapped out the Pirelli Sottozero's for Michelin PA4s. Haven't had a chance to really test them out yet but soon enough.

Must say that the car itself just continues to impress overall... got the booster seat setup for my daughter and getting her in and out is a breeze. Also took one of my guys at work out for a spin and had a little bit of fun ripping around downtown. Nothing too crazy, just a few first/second gear rips with the loud button on. He had a huge grin on his face afterwards as did I. Does the 911 really have any challengers as the everyday, real world, usable sports car?

As I sit here inside on another brutally cold/snowy day all I can think about is going out for a drive... somewhere, anywhere, doesn't matter. Guess that is the point.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Does the 911 really have any challengers as the everyday, real world, usable sports car?
No. None. And believe me I've tried everything.

The R8 probably comes close, but I don't think it has the everyday practicality (yes . . . practicality) that the 911 has. Besides I've never been able to get my head around the style (especially that huge Audi front overhang that makes it look like a FWD car). And then there's the no MT option thing.

Every time I buy a 911, I try to fall in love with the AM Vantage, but each test drive has me running back to the Porsche dealership. The Corvette has improved a lot. But it's still too much grunt and too little finesse. And I'll never understand why AMG and even Lexus can't get their acts together. How hard is it to just reverse-engineer a 911 and copy it. It's not like Japanese industry has never done that before.

Lambo, Ferrari - beautiful, but not DDs. And too ostentatious for my Puritan blood!

On a separate note, I've not congratulated you yet on the GTS. Your spec is fabulous. It's gotta be worth the wait. And remember, there are some guys out there who've had their cars for two months and have not even turned the engine over!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Congrats Rob!! Looks great, glad to see you are enjoying it! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

I just got back from Camp4RS, spent 3 days drifting a C4S in the ice and snow.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jaypod
Congrats Rob!! Looks great, glad to see you are enjoying it! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

I just got back from Camp4RS, spent 3 days drifting a C4S in the ice and snow.
Thanks man! Hit me up when you get some info on the next Mosport day, look forward to catching up.

Also Camp4RS sounds amazing, damn!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by hinckley
On a separate note, I've not congratulated you yet on the GTS. Your spec is fabulous. It's gotta be worth the wait. And remember, there are some guys out there who've had their cars for two months and have not even turned the engine over!

Thank you sir, same to you... I'm sure your car will be on the road before you know it.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to fall in love with the AM Vantage, but each test drive has me running back to the Porsche dealership.
interested in your thoughts on the Vantage, V8 or V12?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
interested in your thoughts on the Vantage, V8 or V12?
I've driven the V8 and V8S both in coupe and cab versions. The last time was a 2014 model last spring. The cars, especially the coupe, are drop-dead beautiful and like Masers, sound incredible. But it ends there. The driving dynamics/crispness of handling do not come close to a 911. Driving them back-to-back, it's night and day. The AM's engine is fine, the steering and suspension - not so much. Also, AM tech is 10-15 years old (its integrated nav is essentially a hand-held Garmin unit - incredible). Additionally, when you research the AM boards, you find that they haven't reached the level of reliability to allow them to be DDs. Still a lot of old-English-car electrical and mechanical nonsense. And finally, the coupe has a blind spot that to me, is downright dangerous. Trying to merge into traffic looking over your right shoulder is a crap shoot. You simply hope that there's no traffic there. It happened to me twice on two different test drives. Terrifying.

With that said, I believe there's a whole new generation due in the next year or so. I'm really hoping AM graduates into a real Porsche-class competitor. Even if it's not as totally competent as the 911, it'd be great to have real British competition.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Vise
Drifting

With that said, I believe there's a whole new generation due in the next year or so.
Believe the next gen should have engines sourced from/in partnership with AMG too... at minimum you know they will make gobs of power and sound great.

That said AM's to me are nice cruisers/GT cars but really not something I'd directly compare to a 911... maybe down the road when I retire and get boring or something.

Quick Reply: Vise's Sapphire Blue 991 GTS thread