Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GTS vs 991 GTS

Old 02-14-2015, 03:19 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default 997 GTS vs 991 GTS

Both are Porsche's best attempt for their respective generation. It almost seems like the 997 is more of a rare bird than the 991 is destined to be. Even though the 991 has just become available, it would be interesting to hear from folks who have experienced both or seen reviews comparing the two.
Jim
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

991 GTS is obviously a wonderful machine. But spending time in both cars, I am on the 997 side due to its intimacy. The 991 just seems A LOT larger. Even though it is technically not that much larger. The 997 just feels more raw, more visceral. I don't think it will be long before the 997 GTS becomes a holy grail car.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (09-01-2023)
Old 02-14-2015, 03:46 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I just traded my 2012 997 GTS in on a 2015 991 GTS about three weeks ago. I can't give too much of a definitive comparison of the two cars because I have not had the 991 GTS long enough to really push it much. I am still obviously in the break-in period, and the weather has been cold enough around here that I haven't wanted to corner too aggressively with the cold, summer tires.

I also went from a manual to a PDK in the 991 GTS, so that in itself, is a big change. One that I might add, I like very much so far. Not trying to start a manual vs PDK debate, just commenting that I made that change after 7 previous 911's with manuals.

I think I can say that many of the comments that you have heard comparing the 997 to a 991 apply with the GTS versions also. The 997 GTS definitely had more of a "raw" feel to it, and the 991 GTS a little more GT like. That doesn't however mean that the 991 GTS is not a sports car. It is very much so, just more refined that the 997. The 991 is definitely smoother and quieter than the 997 GTS. The engine sound of the 991 GTS is a little better than the 997 GTS, but I thought the 997 GTS had a great sound with the power-kit engine and PSE.

I wish I could say more about the performance differences, but just don't have enough seat time to make a valid comparison yet. I loved my 997 GTS and kept it for longer than any car I have had in a long time, but I don't have any regrets about trading it for the 991 GTS. It is a fantastic car.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I just ordered a GTS today. I have a tip for all you guys who feel like life is rushing by: order a car. The next 3 months of your life will feel like that September-to-Christmas period when you were in high school. I did this last March-May for another car, and I HATE it!

Anyway, I have spent 3 hours test driving 991Ss now, and haven't yet done more than sit in a GTS. But the difference in former 997s (and my current 996 Turbo X50, which is similar in NVH to the 997) and these 991s I've been testing is undoubtedly the biggest leap chassis-wise Porsche has ever made in the 911 line. 993-996 was a big jump, but this is bigger.

The far stiffer chassis is going to behave differently. The taming of the intrusive road noise from the tires, particularly as they start to wear, really transforms the car. So does the reduction of porpoising over freeway expansion joints; I suspect this is the longer wheelbase, combined with the motor hanging off the rear end less, combined with active motor mounts. And finally, the bump steer when going over uneven pavement is dramatically, noticeably decreased.

Since I don't currently have a 997 I wasn't able to drive one back to back with the 991, but I did take my 996TT (25k miles on the car, 5k on the current OEM struts and springs and tires) and so I effectively drove them back to back. I am just in love with how much more "forged" the 991 chassis feels. Sure, bump steer and porpoising and tire noise could be considered part of the "hardcore" 911 experience, and if that's what you're looking for, the 997GTS may be the top of the heap, Carrera-wise. At least for a late-model.

But if you want a do-it-all car for touring, going out to dinner with your wife, or burning up the mountains, the 991 is hard to beat in my experience. And I suspect the GTS is just a really special version of the 991, at a good price. Funny I ordered a car without ever testing one, but I am going on faith that if I love an S, I'll love a GTS even more.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I just ordered a GTS today. I have a tip for all you guys who feel like life is rushing by: order a car. The next 3 months of your life will feel like that September-to-Christmas period when you were in high school. I did this last March-May for another car, and I HATE it!

Anyway, I have spent 3 hours test driving 991Ss now, and haven't yet done more than sit in a GTS. But the difference in former 997s (and my current 996 Turbo X50, which is similar in NVH to the 997) and these 991s I've been testing is undoubtedly the biggest leap chassis-wise Porsche has ever made in the 911 line. 993-996 was a big jump, but this is bigger.

The far stiffer chassis is going to behave differently. The taming of the intrusive road noise from the tires, particularly as they start to wear, really transforms the car. So does the reduction of porpoising over freeway expansion joints; I suspect this is the longer wheelbase, combined with the motor hanging off the rear end less, combined with active motor mounts. And finally, the bump steer when going over uneven pavement is dramatically, noticeably decreased.

Since I don't currently have a 997 I wasn't able to drive one back to back with the 991, but I did take my 996TT (25k miles on the car, 5k on the current OEM struts and springs and tires) and so I effectively drove them back to back. I am just in love with how much more "forged" the 991 chassis feels. Sure, bump steer and porpoising and tire noise could be considered part of the "hardcore" 911 experience, and if that's what you're looking for, the 997GTS may be the top of the heap, Carrera-wise. At least for a late-model.

But if you want a do-it-all car for touring, going out to dinner with your wife, or burning up the mountains, the 991 is hard to beat in my experience. And I suspect the GTS is just a really special version of the 991, at a good price. Funny I ordered a car without ever testing one, but I am going on faith that if I love an S, I'll love a GTS even more.
I agree with your comments 100%. I really like my 991 GTS. Liked my 997 GTS a bunch also, but have to say Porsche really improved the 911 with the new chassis.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

GSIRM3, are you in western NC, by any chance? We have a place outside of Highlands; you and I may be driving some of the same roads!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Tell me about it; placed my order in Nov ... Euro Delivery is May 18th!

tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ... are we there yet?
Old 02-14-2015, 05:07 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Glad my wife liked the Graphite Gray of I'd be waiting along with everyone else. T
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Tell me about it; placed my order in Nov ... Euro Delivery is May 18th!

tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ... are we there yet?
Same here. November order, end of April delivery @ Mill Valley, if I'm lucky.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:33 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by 77tony
Glad my wife liked the Graphite Gray of I'd be waiting along with everyone else. T
Today my long-time salesman broke my heart by telling me they had a GG 50th in the showroom three weeks ago! 2800 miles.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Same here. November order, end of April delivery @ Mill Valley, if I'm lucky.
Geeez, I sure hope you guys were PTS! I couldn't make it that long.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:39 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Geeez, I sure hope you guys were PTS! I couldn't make it that long.
Nope, standard color for me and metallic color for Larry. It will be at least 5 months from order to delivery. Almost three of that was waiting for my order to lock. Looking at the GT3 forum (Who's stuck in Emden) has me worried about delays in shipment that could push the total time to 6 or 7 months
Old 02-14-2015, 05:54 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

GSIRM3, are you in western NC, by any chance? We have a place outside of Highlands; you and I may be driving some of the same roads!
No, the Triangle Area.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Madmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My order locked around the first week of Jan, ordered November and build was completed yesterday - yip - Friday the 13th build. Car is waiting for a ship and then headed South. Hope to take delivery in the next 3-6 weeks. I think I am over the hump and hopefully all down hill from here.

Test drove a 991S and 997GTS back to back. 991 felt more mid-engined to me and more connected. Both beautiful cars, however pulled the trigger on the 991.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Nope, standard color for me and metallic color for Larry. It will be at least 5 months from order to delivery. Almost three of that was waiting for my order to lock. Looking at the GT3 forum (Who's stuck in Emden) has me worried about delays in shipment that could push the total time to 6 or 7 months
I wanted ED which means April-Oct ... (excluding August factory holiday)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 GTS vs 991 GTS