Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Buy or Lease a 911?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Falcigs
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
What are current lease terms for a 30 month, 10k/yr lease on a C4S?
7 speed or PDK?

What kind of options?

Down here in florida it would be roughly 1550-1800 depending on options and miles...etc...

I recently ran a C2S with a sticker of 122k with 12k off.... at base rate of .200 and the numbers were 1530 for 30/12k with just inceptions. This is also speculating that you can get 10% off.

Lets say... you got 8k off and they sold the car at dead rentention on the money factor... then you are looking at a payment of 1660 tax in with just inceptions figuring 6% county taxes.

I hope this helps! I am using a manual residual on these calculations and these are rough numbers.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

This is as easy to answer as it appears to be. Are you planning on holding on to your car for the long haul and maybe don't want to have a car payment in the future (if you don't have another daily driver) or do you plan on just turning the keys in in 2-3 years and getting another one or walking away. If the latter applies then definitely a lease is the way to go. Some of us however want to hold onto a particular car longer than the lease term and don't want to be held responsible for excess mileage or how "hard" we drive the car. Also if you are the type who wants to call the car 'yours' then buy it. This really comes down to personal preference in the end..
Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Jgd
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcigs
Right now pull ahead is only for 2013's....I currently have a year left on my 2014 and waiting because we expecting them to continue next quarter.

With porsche financial services the programs are quarterly. So we will have to wait to Jan to find out.
Thanks for the info! Same boat here.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:17 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcigs
7 speed or PDK?

What kind of options?

Down here in florida it would be roughly 1550-1800 depending on options and miles...etc...

I recently ran a C2S with a sticker of 122k with 12k off.... at base rate of .200 and the numbers were 1530 for 30/12k with just inceptions. This is also speculating that you can get 10% off.

Lets say... you got 8k off and they sold the car at dead rentention on the money factor... then you are looking at a payment of 1660 tax in with just inceptions figuring 6% county taxes.

I hope this helps! I am using a manual residual on these calculations and these are rough numbers.
I could have been much more clear, thanks for the info. Was thinking of a typical "medium" amount of options, so you answered that. Going to look around at inventories and see what's there. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm planning on leasing my GTS somewhere between 27-36mths 5-7.5k mi/yr ... dont want to sink all that capital into a ($157k) depreciating asset ... where are you seeing <1% car loans?
Hi Larry,

Great feedback. I thought about the depreciation hit and at the same time not having all that capital working for me. I'm about a 60/40 split between lease/buy rite now. I think when the car arrives it's going to be about the money factor. Residual is a no brainier it is what it is, obviously the higher the better.

As for the <1% financing I haven't seen any that low I think the lowest PFS has offered in the past is 1.9%. I just used the 0% - 0.9% as an example because that would be the only time I would consider financing a $100k+ price point car.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharm
This is as easy to answer as it appears to be. Are you planning on holding on to your car for the long haul and maybe don't want to have a car payment in the future (if you don't have another daily driver) or do you plan on just turning the keys in in 2-3 years and getting another one or walking away. If the latter applies then definitely a lease is the way to go. Some of us however want to hold onto a particular car longer than the lease term and don't want to be held responsible for excess mileage or how "hard" we drive the car. Also if you are the type who wants to call the car 'yours' then buy it. This really comes down to personal preference in the end..
I'm undecided what I want to do with the 911 2-3 years from now but I do like the idea of owning this particular model year. However, I also like the pull heads and the idea of driving a new model every few years. Part of the issue is this will be my first porsche so I am fairly new to the brand and just a little hesitant on committing long term. I will say that from my experience driving these cars on track and dealership test drives I'm 99.9% sure I will love it.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

I help a lot of friends and family members lease/buy cars (you could say I am a no commission auto broker). For most luxury cars and for most people (even without business write off) leasing makes a lot of sense. Here is LA County where most cities have a 9+ % sales tax the initial hit you take is huge. Also what Falcigs mentioned above is correct in that many times the residual you get from a manufacturer is inflated (to the lessee's benefit) and when you try to sell or trader in a car yourself you might not get that same amount. That said Porsche in my opinion doesn't have the greatest lease programs and if you intend to keep your car for 5+ years buying is not a bad option.

My ordered car arrives around March and I plan to buy it but I am also considering doing a low mileage lease option with the intent to buy it out in the 27-30 months. I have also heard of people getting their cars CPO'ed at the lease end term which essentially gives them a extended warranty plan.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

how long you are going to keep the car is crucial to the debate between leasing or buying. If you are more likely than not to flip the car in 3 years or less, lease has a lot of advantages
1. you know how much it will cost you to have the car for that duration of time and at the end you just return the car and walk away vs owning the car , you have to worry about trading the car in and to get reasonable value for it
2. also, sometimes you have to play the cards you are dealt. Porsche and other companies are discounting their cars indirectly through lease programs with high residuals and pull ahead programs etc. So, this is affecting the trade in value for your car when you trade it in if you own it.
3. with a lease avoid putting money down , and try to buy interest down with multiple security deposits that is fully refundable at the end of lease .
good luck
Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
I help a lot of friends and family members lease/buy cars (you could say I am a no commission auto broker). For most luxury cars and for most people (even without business write off) leasing makes a lot of sense. Here is LA County where most cities have a 9+ % sales tax the initial hit you take is huge. Also what Falcigs mentioned above is correct in that many times the residual you get from a manufacturer is inflated (to the lessee's benefit) and when you try to sell or trader in a car yourself you might not get that same amount. That said Porsche in my opinion doesn't have the greatest lease programs and if you intend to keep your car for 5+ years buying is not a bad option. My ordered car arrives around March and I plan to buy it but I am also considering doing a low mileage lease option with the intent to buy it out in the 27-30 months. I have also heard of people getting their cars CPO'ed at the lease end term which essentially gives them a extended warranty plan.
I also have an ordered car coming in Feb 15. Hey Porsche9xx, I currently am in-between leasing or buying but my current write up with the dealer is as a purchase-question for you: if I do want to switch to a lease do I have to decide that before the lock (for me in 2 weeks) or can I change after that. Also, how easy is it to convince the dealership to let you do this kind of switching on an ordered car? Thanks
Old 11-05-2014, 08:24 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was told if you lease then buy out at the end it is almost equivalent to like paying 5-7% interest. So if your going to buy then buy up front, not lease then buy. Because again for every dollar you are over the cut off with porsche those dollars are spread over the lease term rather than a 60 month term.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Congrats on your upcoming purchase!

I bought my car. I suggest that you do the same. If you can write-off the lease expense for business, then you should lease. Otherwise, buy it.
You can also depreciate purchases. Leases don't work for me since I only put around 3K miles on my Porsches each year, and I believe that 10K miles a year is the lowest mileage lease I've seen offered. Don't want to pay for 10K miles when I only use it 3K miles a year.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

It looks like the next gen 911 will be all turbos (with possibly GT3 being the exception?)

If you are into NA engines, might as well buy it now.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rallybagger
I was in this same boat over this past summer in figuring out if I wanted to pull the trigger. My point of thinking was that 1) I have two small kids and needed to see if a "fun car" would fit our family 2) I wanted to stay liquid and invest capital elsewhere when opportunities struck. Could I have bought the car, sure, but I made the decision that a "trial" period with a 991 was the right thing for me at the time. I negotiated a very fair lease deal on a 2014 which mitigated the premium of a lease over 27 months compared to a new 2015. Lastly, Porsche has such a great pull forward program currently (realize that they can stop this) for Carerra's that I could be in a brand new 991.2, GTS or even a turbo this time next year. (Currently 12 months they will pull forward) All those points took me the lease option for now.
You have some valid points there. Is this your daily driver? What model 991 do have?
Old 11-06-2014, 12:00 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
It looks like the next gen 911 will be all turbos (with possibly GT3 being the exception?) If you are into NA engines, might as well buy it now.
Interesting to see what happens what models goes turbo. I prefer NA engines,
Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 AM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sharm
I also have an ordered car coming in Feb 15. Hey Porsche9xx, I currently am in-between leasing or buying but my current write up with the dealer is as a purchase-question for you: if I do want to switch to a lease do I have to decide that before the lock (for me in 2 weeks) or can I change after that. Also, how easy is it to convince the dealership to let you do this kind of switching on an ordered car? Thanks
I'm not sure if a dealer would care so long as the deal doesn't change - for instance if the agreed selling price was 5% off MSRP and you plugged in the same numbers on a lease and the dealer agreed to give you an unmarked up money factor then it should work. Personally when I lease cars I know all the numbers including money factor, residual etc. before I walk in to a dealer. With an ordered car the problem is that the lease program will change before your car arrives and dealers won't really have a heads up until the program is released.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I Buy or Lease a 911?