Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which statement on your 911 flattered you the most?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

My eight year old son, on his first ride: "Daddy, it sounds just like a race car!"

Why, yes it does son. Yes, it does...

My almost four year old is constantly asking me "Daddy, I want to ride in the Porsche!" He carefully enunciates each syllable and pronounces Porsche correctly, too LOL.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you just love kids and how they are totally open and honest with their feelings .... It's a pity that life turns most of them into mature and reserved adults.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Don't you just love kids and how they are totally open and honest with their feelings .... It's a pity that life turns most of them into mature and reserved adults.
or a-holes.

I usually get a generic "beautiful car" or more often, "what a gorgeous color".

(it's amaranth red metallic, in case you can't tell from the avatar)
Old 10-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
or a-holes.

I usually get a generic "beautiful car" or more often, "what a gorgeous color".

(it's amaranth red metallic, in case you can't tell from the avatar)
I was being polite.

Any more pics of your Amaranth red?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusG
Actually the best compliment at all is when an attractive, middle aged woman who has money and appreciates the finer things tells you "that's a beautiful car." That's the best.
That exact thing happened to me recently. She was on the other side of the pump at a Shell, driving a new dark blue Boxter S with tan interior. Made my day!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:26 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

In his first ride in the 991 S with sport exhaust activated, I floored it and he said "dad, why is your car so angry?". Hilarious
Old 10-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard this at the Werks Reunion Concours in Monterey: "Congratulations, you have won First in Class".
Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 PM
AzCoronaDog
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Two stories:

I was getting on the freeway on the way home from work, and I could see the nose of a late model yellow Porsche a few cars back. It was busy so I could not really tell which model, they all look so similar. After I got on, I headed for the fast lane of course, and I see the yellow one catching up and he has a passenger so he gets into the HOV lane to my left. As he is catching up rapidly, I see it is a very clean Turbo model, driven by a mature man complete with the requisite attractive blond trophy wife. I have a base model Cab, so I was feeling pretty jealous (although my wife is just as pretty!) They pulled up next to me, and they both gave me big smiles and thumbs up! I think it was pretty obvious that I was very impressed with their car as well. So I engaged Sport Plus and put the hammer down for the whole 3 car lengths I had to work with in traffic, knowing full well how outgunned I was with only a mere 350HP.
He obliged my foolish taunt with what I can only describe as an angry explosion of twin turbo fury! I was top down, and the noise was fantastically deafening... I heard the turbos spool up for a fraction of a second and then it was a just a loud, bright yellow blur of pure acceleration. He slowed down so I could catch up, and all three of us were grinning from ear to ear!

My wife and I were headed to the mall yesterday, beautiful day so top down cruising. A very nice new Mustang was behind us on the freeway off ramp, and when we stopped, I could see that he was pointing at the Porsche and explaining something enthusiastically to his girlfriend. We were almost to our destination, so I decided to put the top up then, mostly to see his reaction to the elegance in motion of the engineering marvel that is the 991 convertible top. His expression was even more fun to watch than I expected! After we turned the corner, they pulled up next to us and gave us the big thumbs up too.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I was driving on an Interstate and was enjoying the fact that I had the had the highway to myself. After a short period of time I could see a Minivan cruising in the right-hand land. I was in the left-hand land, I slowed down as I passed them and then pulled in behind to take a break from the run I just completed. As I was slowing down to pass behind them into the right-hand lane, I looked up and there were two young brothers plastered to the windows howling and giving me thumbs up. That was two 911s ago, and I'll never forget it.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Any more pics of your Amaranth red?
Yes, right here.

Thanks for asking.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
ntravaglino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Uncle Nick drives a racecar!"
Old 10-28-2014, 10:38 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No one has ever said much about my car that I can remember, except one. He told me I must hate my money to spend so much on such a useless car. What could I say? He was absolutely right.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

First, I've got to say that I've never experienced "the hate thing" driving a Porsche. As a matter of fact, it's just the opposite. I've really been blown away how may people talk to me while I'm driving my Cab in the middle of city stop-and-go. Always pleasant, always complimentary. If anything, it's a bit unnerving. Similarly, I really believe that people have been more courteous allowing me to pull in and out of city traffic or changing lanes than with other car I've driven. I've been very surprised.

My story is less about what someone said to me than about another experience with a kid about 15 years ago. It was in rural New Hampshire and I let a friend's 15 year-old drive my 996 early on a Sunday morning. He had grown up fatherless on a farm loving cars, driving old trucks and jalopies and he had just got his learners' permit (at 15 in NH!). Growing up as he had, he knew how to handle a car and I egged him on a bit on the empty country roads. After about five miles, I suggested that we pull into a parking lot and turn around. As we were stopped, getting ready to get back onto the road, I glanced over and realized the kid was literally shaking and completely flushed. He really couldn't talk. I reached over and pulled the parking break and suggested that we just hang for a while. The kid was in total sensory overload! After a while, he pulled it together and was able to drive home - but at a more mundane pace.

That kid ended up going to auto mechanic school and last year passed the Porsche certification program. He's now working with Porsches everyday and making more money than he or his mom ever envisioned. True story.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hinckley
That kid ended up going to auto mechanic school and last year passed the Porsche certification program. He's now working with Porsches everyday and making more money than he or his mom ever envisioned. True story.
You are an awesome person, not many people would have given a young guy with his "learners" that opportunity.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by clangpap
You are an awesome person, not many people would have given a young guy with his "learners" that opportunity.
That's a great story! Even better that the kid was smart enough to study something with a real ROI instead of following the hoards into 6 figures of debt with degrees in feelings and a double major in entitlement and confusion lol!

Love hearing examples like this!

Quick Reply: Which statement on your 911 flattered you the most?