Sponsored by:

After market Stereo mod- advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I did the upgrade on a 2012 991S base stereo with great results. Left the factory PCM, added an Arc audio amp up in the frunk with a false floor, Dynaudio speakers, a Bit Ten processor and a custom sub for the rear shelf. Sounds amazing and with the Bit Ten and a laptop, it was dialed in perfectly. We got better sound and imaging by disconnecting the rear speakers. Cost around $3k. Console was never touched, besides the amp and sub, everything else was done under the passenger seat.
Who did the install? Are you in Los Angeles by any chance?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 10-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey Steve- I did exactly what you suggested Unfortunately I'm in NC although I grew up there, went to USC, etc.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Who did the install? Are you in Los Angeles by any chance?

Thanks!

Steve
Excellent! Did the dynaudio tweeters fit in the dash where the stand ones are, or they"stick out"?
What model are they? Are they the 242 esotec?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by Carcam
Hey Steve- I did exactly what you suggested Unfortunately I'm in NC although I grew up there, went to USC, etc.
Too bad you aren't local. I would love to hear your tunes and hit up the installer...

The biggest reason I haven't done it, is I am scared that the installer will mess something up, void the warranty and yadda, yadda...think I may wait until after the warranty runs out and think about doing it again then...

But, I'd go old skool amps and use mobile Mcintosh amps.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

Ok folks I am doing the job today....wish me luck!!
I will post pictures of the work in progress later today...showing the "inside" of door panels etc...
Old 11-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Caprzeland
Ok folks I am doing the job today....wish me luck!! I will post pictures of the work in progress later today...showing the "inside" of door panels etc...
Good luck!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 AM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadrat
I personally would not do it. Four reasons....

Fear of future electrical gremlins
Panels and carpet not getting put back together right
Acoustically, cars are not designed for music listening
And most importantly, you already have the best entertainment system.... the exhaust

IMHO
+1
Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Ok folks I am doing the job today....wish me luck!!
I will post pictures of the work in progress later today...showing the "inside" of door panels etc...
Wondering if this was completed and what the results were. Am sure it came out blasting !
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

here we go

Last edited by Caprzeland; 11-03-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

Default DONE!!

The install was successfully done last Saturday! I was fortunate to find an installer who had done several (100+) Porsche 911 stereo upgrades over the last 20 years, including many 991. This is ultimately what gave me the comfort level to pull the trigger.
As I said, I personally found the 991 base stereo really deficient in power and definition, and being a DD for me, stuck daily in Los Angeles traffic, I felt the absolute need to do this mod. I also was going crazy with a rattle in the passenger door, to make things worse...
The install: I went for a minimally intrusive solution, basically we placed the Amplifier/Processor that is situated below the passenger seat, with the Audison Amplifier/processor, and then we upgraded all the speakers.
Additionally they sound proof both doors with mix of special foam and other sound absorbing material.
End result: simply awesome! I can crank up the volume and get a wonderfully detailed sound, even with loud Bass, the doors do not rattle at all. Great sound image, and great finesse - just what I wanted! and it is virtually seamless, you cannot see any visible differences in the car before and after the install. Did not even have to touch the frunk!
We did not install a sub-woofer, I think I have plenty of bass as is, but I may install a sub in the future.
Interestingly, I kind of like the exhaust sound even more now, it sounds like it is channeled from the back of the car, inside the cabin, and not coming as much through the doors (due to the sound proofing).
The job took a full day, the guys clearly knew what they were doing, I spent 4K and I am much happier driver now!!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

here are a few pics...

Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy crap that's a red interior!!!! Do your eyes bleed?

I'm glad you're happy with the upgrade. I'm tempted to do the same, but lack of funds and cojones prevents it. (see earlier comment re: Nick Murray). Hey, Carcam, where are you at? I'd like to hear your car if you are in the Triangle area, and find out who did the work for you.

As for the comments about the cheap speakers in our $100K cars: I've always assumed that they put in the lightest speakers that they can find. They spend millions of dollars designing these cars to be fast, and the cheapest way to gain horsepower is to lose weight. Music quality suffers, but if you wanted a slow car with a nice stereo, you would have bought a Lexus.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Caprzeland, Nice Install!
Who was the installer?
Old 11-04-2014, 11:22 AM
socalsteve
Racer

The install was successfully done last Saturday! I was fortunate to find an installer who had done several (100+) Porsche 911 stereo upgrades over the last 20 years, including many 991. This is ultimately what gave me the comfort level to pull the trigger.
As I said, I personally found the 991 base stereo really deficient in power and definition, and being a DD for me, stuck daily in Los Angeles traffic, I felt the absolute need to do this mod. I also was going crazy with a rattle in the passenger door, to make things worse...
The install: I went for a minimally intrusive solution, basically we placed the Amplifier/Processor that is situated below the passenger seat, with the Audison Amplifier/processor, and then we upgraded all the speakers.
Additionally they sound proof both doors with mix of special foam and other sound absorbing material.
End result: simply awesome! I can crank up the volume and get a wonderfully detailed sound, even with loud Bass, the doors do not rattle at all. Great sound image, and great finesse - just what I wanted! and it is virtually seamless, you cannot see any visible differences in the car before and after the install. Did not even have to touch the frunk!
We did not install a sub-woofer, I think I have plenty of bass as is, but I may install a sub in the future.
Interestingly, I kind of like the exhaust sound even more now, it sounds like it is channeled from the back of the car, inside the cabin, and not coming as much through the doors (due to the sound proofing).
The job took a full day, the guys clearly knew what they were doing, I spent 4K and I am much happier driver now!!
Did you do a 3 way system? Mid bass and mids in door and tweeters on top of the dash? Did you use separate cross overs or was the DSP used for that?

Did you disconnect the rear speakers or replace them?

What channel amp did you use? And, how did you use the channels?

Oh, lastly, what was the labor charge for them to spend a day on your car? If you don't mind sharing this.

So happy that you are pleased with the work they did and the end results!

Thank you,

Steve
Old 11-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Caprzeland
Advanced

The job was done by Jamey Rawlings. I am not technically able to answer all your questions, but yes it is a 3 ways system, yes, and yes we replaced the back speakers too.
Not sure about the cross over question. Pm me, I can give you his cell. number, if you want to call Jamey directly he can give you the details...

Quick Reply: After market Stereo mod- advice needed