Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   $330 for turning on daylight running lights and setting speedo to metric>normal cost? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/836852-330-for-turning-on-daylight-running-lights-and-setting-speedo-to-metric-normal-cost.html)

RET46 10-02-2014 08:27 AM

$330 for turning on daylight running lights and setting speedo to metric>normal cost?

I hope to buy a 2013 Porsche in the USA and export it back to Canada where I live. I will need the daylight running lights to be turned on and have the speedometer units of measure changed to metric and was quoted $330 by a Porsche dealer to complete this [will also get the recall letter for that]. I have had cars in the past on which those changes could be made by the owner as selections through the computer and wondered if that is not the case for a Porsche and the dealer is charging me for something I could do myself. I have never owned a Porsche and therefore am not familiar with the changes I can make through the computer or the costs of having the changes made through a dealer. Please comment if you know anything on this.

Thank you,

RET

plenum 10-02-2014 09:07 AM

Perhaps I am missing something here.... but on my '14 C4S the LED DRLs are always on when the car is on. I don't recall if there is a setting for this in the menu or just set to on.

As for the speedo -- I thought both metric and standard are there? Are you looking to replace the speedo dial entirely with one showing only km/h? The digital displays can be changed to metric through the settings menus in the PCM.

pvr 10-02-2014 09:12 AM

I often drive from the UK to mainland Europe, and change all settings in the PCM each time so my odo reads in KM then as well as the speed.

Obviously does not change the clocks themselves but I can't imagine that you get that for $330.

I don't know about the daylight running lights as I thought they were on from the factory.

MerlinsGarage 10-02-2014 09:42 AM

ANY programming changes the dealership makes with PIWIS should never cost that much.

draxa 10-02-2014 10:02 AM

I will have a look but I thought both these things were available to change on the screen. Of course the analog speedo won't change but the digital one should.

mtbscott 10-02-2014 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by draxa (Post 11691764)
I will have a look but I thought both these things were available to change on the screen. Of course the analog speedo won't change but the digital one should.

US cars have the DRL LED's on as default and as far as I know, no one's been able to turn them off, so you should be good there.
Changing from miles to km's is for sure a user changeable function via the PCM. If Canada requires you to change the analog instruments, you're in for a lot more than $330.

991999R 10-02-2014 11:14 AM

instead of buying a used vehicle from said dealer, you're importing from the US (effectively undercutting them). i'm not judging you as i have done the same but pay the man and get it over with. these are not PCM adjustments. you probably have to change the odometer reading and get the speedometer gauge face replaced. i'm surprised its not more than $330

hoffa 10-02-2014 11:43 AM

Speaking as a former 996 owner that I imported from the US, you do not need to replace the gauges as long as there is the digital readout in KPH. As for the DRL, I remember on my 997 I could adjust through PCM. Can't speak to the 991.

There are lots of posts in the Rennlist Canada forum that could help you out.

halfbreeded 10-02-2014 04:56 PM

In the 991 the US has the Daytime running lights on already. And you only need to change the digital MPH to KPH. This can be done on the TFT screen (vehicle options screen in the gauge cluster). The no open recall letter is easy for them to look up and complete for you. I have sold many vehicles to Canada and never charged a penny for this.

991999R 10-02-2014 05:32 PM

http://www.porscheprestige.com/en/se...rsche-vehicles

i do find it surprising that the existing analogue gauge would not have to be replaced but whatever...better for canucks!

RET46 10-03-2014 10:27 AM

Thanks to everyone. It appears the recent changes to the export process requiring EIN process is going to be the major road block.

RET

VIC_50th 10-05-2014 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 991999R (Post 11691925)
instead of buying a used vehicle from said dealer, you're importing from the US (effectively undercutting them). i'm not judging you as i have done the same but pay the man and get it over with. these are not PCM adjustments. you probably have to change the odometer reading and get the speedometer gauge face replaced. i'm surprised its not more than $330

When you change the "Units" function in the dash display, the Odometer units change as well -- I am in the US this w/e and changed the digital speedo to read in mph, and bazinga! the odometer changes to miles from km's. Interestingly, the consumption units stay at l/100km, but then I noticed a separate option for that in the menu.
Seems like the $330 is to get the recall notice completed, as all the other items are user-configurable with ease.