Sponsored by:

great article in Total911 issue #118

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
They're buying a car to be seen in. Which for some reason people really hate to acknowledge.
Chuck, I can understand your view from where you are in the the land of perpetual fog and rain, but where there is blue sky and country roads, being seen is way down the list for reasons to own convertibles and Targas, somewhere near aerokits and rear wings.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Chuck, I can understand your view from where you are in the the land of perpetual fog and rain, but where there is blue sky and country roads, being seen is way down the list for reasons to own convertibles and Targas, somewhere near aerokits and rear wings.
fair comment with which I concur ...
Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Why care about any performance differences between these cars? Cabs and Targas are made for people for whom the 911 already has more than enough performance. People happy to sacrifice performance for something they want more. Otherwise, to pay an extra $10-12k premium for a Cab or Targa that they KNOW is only going to make the car weigh and flex more is just plain nuts. But these buyers are not nuts. They know what they're doing. They're buying a car to be seen in. Which for some reason people really hate to acknowledge. So lets just say its for reasons other than performance. So, again, when it comes to Cabs and Targas, who gives a hoot about which is faster? We should all just be happy they no longer twist like a pretzel- no small accomplishment, that- and leave it at that.
Why does evo show races between a hybrid i8 BMW and a carrera S? Or an f-type convertible vs **insert convertible of choice here.** because it's interesting. IMO, seeing the engineering advances in top down driving and dynamics that are inherent to variants is fun and also promotes the advancement of the science/art. I think people are drawn to top down driving not to be seen (I agree that's far down the list for me) but because they enjoy the sheer thrill and exhilaration of the wind around their ears and the smell of autumn at night. Not to mention the sound of your PSE unadulterated by a metallic roof deadening the noise. But they also want their car to perform well if they're spending $100+k on it. Most of us set our expectations lower than that of a coupe though.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Why does evo show races between a hybrid i8 BMW and a carrera S? Or an f-type convertible vs **insert convertible of choice here.** because it's interesting. IMO, seeing the engineering advances in top down driving and dynamics that are inherent to variants is fun and also promotes the advancement of the science/art. I think people are drawn to top down driving not to be seen (I agree that's far down the list for me) but because they enjoy the sheer thrill and exhilaration of the wind around their ears and the smell of autumn at night. Not to mention the sound of your PSE unadulterated by a metallic roof deadening the noise. But they also want their car to perform well if they're spending $100+k on it. Most of us set our expectations lower than that of a coupe though.
completely agree

Quick Reply: great article in Total911 issue #118