Sponsored by:

GTS 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Curious about that one comment Eduardo, Rear Axle Steering developed for the GT3? RAS just seems more like something they'd make for the Turbo. I mean the GT3 guys are a hard sell on any technology newer than the ball bearing....
Hard to tell for whom Weissach developed this latest RAS technology for - Turbo or GT3. As you know, they had a modified version of it on the 928. For all we know, it was a ŠKODA contract that was never used by their Czech VW cousins. But we know that the new, modern version of the RAS was big news when it was announced for the MY2014 gt3 at Geneva in March of 2013.

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/por...wheel-steering

I must admit to you that I know it was a bit forced on Porsche Motorsport for the 991 gt3. Andreas Preuninger admitted that much when the 991 gt3 came out. They begrudgingly tested it on that gt model...and they were stunned how well it worked on that prototype gt3 vehicle!

'I was shying away from it. I believed it was not puristic enough. But we tried it out and it helps so much. And you don’t notice it because it’s simply a steering rod system, not some electronic gizmo. We can change the angle of the rear wheels by 1.5 degrees, which doesn’t sound like much but the effect is tremendous. I couldn’t believe how much better the agility of the car and the turn-in capability are with the system. I did a back-to-back test, in one car with the system able to be turned off by a switch, and couldn’t believe the difference. And on track, the tyres last longer, so you are more consistent.

'The steering rods add 5-6kg, plus the system draws more current so yo need a bigger battery, but back-to-back with a car with a lightweight battery, no rear-steer and a manual gearbox (and in that configuration the car is lighter than a 997 GT3) this new GT3 is so much more confidence inspiring. And faster, no matter where you drive it. It simply didn’t make sense not to use all these systems to take on all the other competitors out there.'

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...as-Preuninger/

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I recall the thread you are referencing. Much of what you said turned out to be true, but certain RL members aren't about to recognize it. Sad.
Thanks, Sports. But we will see what happens in the end. Even as a Romani, there is a limit as to how far I can see ahead with my 'crystal ball'...after that, it's all speculation! We will know soon enough.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 09:01 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Well one data point is that some UK owners have been contacted asking if they have interest in a GTS.

The other DP I am not able to share; but I am confident that their confirmation of the L.A launch is reliable
Larry,

Do you really believe that P would selectively contact a few 991 owners, in the UK no less, and make that part of their decision process to build a GTS? Seems like their time would be better spent hanging out on Rennlist and 6speedonline!
Jim
Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Larry,

Do you really believe that P would selectively contact a few 991 owners, in the UK no less, and make that part of their decision process to build a GTS? Seems like their time would be better spent hanging out on Rennlist and 6speedonline!
Jim
Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear since you seem to have misinterpreted what I stated; Porsche Cars in the UK have contacted individuals 'offering'(*) them a GTS, *not* enquiring if one was built would they buy one?

(*) informing them that such a model will shortly be available for order.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Names? Who else besides Jonny Lieberman.

Eat, see, canabalize! Yes, I see a foodie trend there! Let's wait and eat, then!

By the way, was that you with the Scottish flag? Or this other guy below?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Looks a bit like me!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:26 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't have a crystal ball, Eduardo. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. Which is nowhere near as recognizable a reference. Anyway, whyever Weissach developed RAS, all interviews considered, it appears the top two goals they set for Preuninger are one, make the GT3 the worlds best streetable track car and two, pretend in public to be dragged kicking and screaming by outside forces to be going there against his will!

Oh wait, this isn't the GT3 forum. Probably don't need to duck!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I don't have a crystal ball, Eduardo. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. Which is nowhere near as recognizable a reference.

calling Mentat Chuck911...

Anyway, whyever Weissach developed RAS, all interviews considered, it appears the top two goals they set for Preuninger are one, make the GT3 the worlds best streetable track car and two, pretend in public to be dragged kicking and screaming by outside forces to be going there against his will!

Oh wait, this isn't the GT3 forum. Probably don't need to duck!
better raise the house shields and prepare the family atomics 'just in case'
Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Preuninger wants the Fedaykin to think he's fighting his inner Usul, but you don't need to be Liet-Keynes to see he thinks of the GT3 as a Crysknife.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
That might be true and could be easily explained by the Laws of Physics...if the 'mass' is relatively small.

Saludos.
Eduardo
Carmel

PS This is the proper use for the 'ducking' smilie!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

And if the mass is zero then it moves at the speed of light. Cogito ergo sum.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Preuninger wants the Fedaykin to think he's fighting his inner Usul, but you don't need to be Liet-Keynes to see he thinks of the GT3 as a Crysknife.
We should send a 4th stage RennList member to Zuffenhausen to ask AP, but we should be careful that he does not use the 'voice'...

"you will love PDK-S, RWS, and a 9A1 block...block... block"

Kull Wahad!

Quick Reply: GTS 2015