Sponsored by:

991 Carrera S Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:13 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Just wash your car/ wheels every 100 miles and you will be fine. It's almost like a reminder for me to wash my car.
+1
Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

The more you go between washes, the more iron you build up, the squeaker they get. Braking hard clears a lot if the stuff away but it's like a cake batter pan - you really have to clean it.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So many different theories. This guy doesn't mention the batter pan. Looking at his car though I can't wait for his video on detailing. And tuning!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,243 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
So many different theories. This guy doesn't mention the batter pan. Looking at his car though I can't wait for his video on detailing. And tuning!
Fixing Squeaky Brakes On Your Car - YouTube
what model of 911 is that?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:08 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I find it amusing that your response does not address what I said as a rebuttal to your first post. Keep it coming tho! :P
Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

We have solution to squeaking, all the suggested methods may work, but most of them the squeaky noise comes back.

We recently made a new pad for a brand new Mercedes SL550 model, with our popular ET500 street performance compound, and solve the squeaky and dusty issue.

Racing Brake makes me happy:

We like to know more about your pads and see what we can do about it. RB is a brake solution provider for street and track with guarantee result.

Thank you.

Warren-RB
Old 09-12-2014, 11:58 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kiya
I can't tell if you're serious here.... every 100 miles?
I am serious about washing it to keep the noise away. As for 100 miles, okay, maybe half a tank
Old 09-13-2014, 09:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Just wash your car/ wheels every 100 miles and you will be fine. It's almost like a reminder for me to wash my car.
LOL!! I washed my car in early July. Then again in early September. That was 2 months and over 3,000 miles of driving. The car was still pretty clean. The OptiCoat helps a ton. Yes, I had a bunch of bugs on the front bumper, side mirrors, and the 3rd radiator (PowerKit) was really dirty. But I don't drive in the rain. The wheels were pretty spotless due to the Armor All Wheel Protectant.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
We have solution to squeaking, all the suggested methods may work, but most of them the squeaky noise comes back.

We recently made a new pad for a brand new Mercedes SL550 model, with our popular ET500 street performance compound, and solve the squeaky and dusty issue.

Racing Brake makes me happy:

We like to know more about your pads and see what we can do about it. RB is a brake solution provider for street and track with guarantee result.

Thank you.

Warren-RB
Warren,

Are you going to make Pads and Rotors for us?
That would be great!
Your ET500 should be great for street use and dust less than factory.
Also, dont your rotors help with dust, since they are harder, or is that irrelevant?

Also, What is your highest track pad that wont be too noisy on the street?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:01 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Another testimonial from a 2011 SL550 owner (he suffered longer than the 13+ owner until he found RB):

'11 SL550 No more brake squealing!

Originally Posted by Steinhart
so I replaced my front pads with Racing Brake pads, http://www.racingbrake.com no more squealing

glad to finally resolve this, been to the dealer twice but they could not do anything for me except to "hard brake" from time to time to burn a film on them, but the squealing would come right back highly recommend these pads :y
Our reply:

...ET500 is our most popular "performance street" compounds (semi-metallic) that was carefully formulated to provide the following characteristics yet still under that squeaking threshold - This compound was voted as the best brake pad in Mitsubishi EVO community.

Good initial bite
Consistent brake torque
Excellent modulation
Good durability
Friendly to rotors
Very low dust

Say Yes to RacingBrake pads with guarantee result:

Yes - You can have good braking power
Yes - You can have no squeaking
Yes - You can have low dust

Here is the direct link to the front pad:
http://www.racingbrake.com/Brake-Pad...1149-35-04.htm
Old 09-14-2014, 02:30 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lunarx
Warren,

Are you going to make Pads and Rotors for us?
That would be great!
Yes.

Your ET500 should be great for street use and dust less than factory.
Also, dont your rotors help with dust, since they are harder, or is that irrelevant?

Brake dust is a product of combination from the friction lining (pad) and rotor. The softer a rotor material, the more dust it will generate, because the rotor is made of "Gray Iron" so as it wears it shows. Typically you see it more on MB and BMW with rotor hardness below SAE G3000 standard of 187 BHN (Brinell Hardness)

Our rotors are made to SAE J431 G3000/G3500 cast iron standard with a hardness of 200-230 BHN.

Please refer to the article I presented in Nissan GT-R community for further details including how we inspect the rotor before assembly:

Racing Brake Technology - A Discussion about the truth of components

Also, What is your highest track pad that wont be too noisy on the street?
That would be our XT series (XT910), our brake compound is classified as follows:

ET: Street Performance
XT: HPDE, Light Tracking
XR: Racing Application

* As a side note, in fact our open slots rotor design also help to evacuate the brake dust and vent it out to the wheel barrel than bounce back to the wheel spoke so the dust is less noticeable.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:46 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Larry, thanks for catching the best part, that's a 991 GTS 5.0 in Mexico Blue. Not PTS, actually an option on the GTS. How do you like the facelift they did on it?

LG, sorry, missed your question. Here's the thing: they never squeal when new. Its like, you build a car with a bad clutch, it doesn't go up in smoke right as you're pulling out of the lot. Usually by the time your clutch goes you've had it a while, you think its awful early but the dealer's almost got you convinced its normal … until you go trolling around the forums and learn it happens a lot, everyone knows about it, in fact it even comes down to one cheap simple thing they could have done different. In this case, Porsche knows full well why the brakes squeal on some of their cars. Everyone knows! Search around, hardly a month goes by without some new owner complaining about it. Why, the situation is so bad, some people are so in denial, they get all defensive saying you got to drive a certain way, chamfer this, clean that, goo up the other thing, when all along they know its just one of the downfalls of the 911, plain and simple.

Try and realize, you are dealing here with a company that for over 50 years now has stubbornly refused to move the engine forward. Talk about downfalls! I mean, first decade or so, you even glance at your watch the car is off the road so fast it'll make your head spin. Literally. Spin. (And so they put a clock on the dash. ) Yet here we are 50 years later, still hanging the motor off the back. Still the same useless rear "seats". Still basically a Beetle, only with squeakier brakes. Go with the mini-van. You won't regret it.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced my pads with Centric Posi-quiet pads from Zeckhausen Racing, mainly to cut down on brake dust. However, they also squeal less than the stock pads. Possibly because I always use anti-squeal compound on all the contact points between the pads and the caliper.

In addition, the Posi-quiet pads have a backing plate on the back of the pads designed to keep the brakes "quiet". So far I have been very happy with both the decreased amount of dust and with the performance of the pads. BTW, before anyone says that Porsche components are the best and you shouldn't tinker with them, I guarantee that the stock pads will fail on most tracks if you are a fast enough driver. For my track cars, I have always used a track specific pad, typically from Performance Friction.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I've tried to bed the brakes as many here have instructed. That hasn't helped my brake squeal which is only at light brake pressure only when I'm just about to come to a complete stop. Perhaps I'm not driving fast enough nor braking hard enough to fix the issue. Porsche says all brake components are fine and do not need adjustment / replacement. Once I get the hose into the brakes and shoot a strong stream of water in there - the brakes are silent but only for a day or two tops. I have to assume this makes my problem due to brake dust? Are there brake pads that produce less dust / noise than others whilst still being appropriate for our cars ?
Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

My bad, I see you all have listed countless suitable options.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S Brake Squeal