Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 C4S or 991 Turbo or Audi R8 V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ UAE_911, Penn4S, Keadog: Great post gents! Much appreciated. Your posts offer a lot of merit!

I had to lol, I'm OCD/**** myself with respect to parking my cars. I admit that instant acceleration is sometimes what I'm looking for when I want to get away from an idiot, lol! I have to ask myself, is spending over $30k (20% of the price diff btw a C4S and a non S Turbo) for the Turbo, worth the few days I wish I had the instant torque of a turbo over a C4S???

It appears that most owners prefers the PDK over the manual?

Tks/Cheers,

BB
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
^^^ UAE_911, Penn4S, Keadog: Great post gents! Much appreciated. Your posts offer a lot of merit!

I had to lol, I'm OCD/**** myself with respect to parking my cars. I admit that instant acceleration is sometimes what I'm looking for when I want to get away from an idiot, lol! I have to ask myself, is spending over $30k (20% of the price diff btw a C4S and a non S Turbo) for the Turbo, worth the few days I wish I had the instant torque of a turbo over a C4S???

It appears that most owners prefers the PDK over the manual?

Tks/Cheers,

BB
Well, of course only you can answer the money question. And they all do depreciate significantly year 1.
Personally, I don't "prefer" the PDK, but, as a realist, I have to admit it makes the car seem like it has an extra 50HP. Plus, my wife could drive it if she needed to but she hasn't driven a MT since the late '80s. So, on balance, I have somewhat reluctantly decided to order the PDK.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know where the OP lives, since he/she didn't bother to fill out their profile. When in the same situation, I found a used R8 to drive. I found the power adequate, but no more. It was a manual transmission, as all proper sports cars should have.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:58 PM
fl0950
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned numerous 911's and I also owned a 2012 R8 V8 manual. I loved the car, especially the manual (my 50th Anniversary is a manual). They are different, with the Audi's engine note really intoxicating, like a V8 can be. The R8 feels pretty special, like a supercar. The Porsche is fantastic of course, just more familiar. If you go Audi, be prepared for a lot more attention. Here in CA, even my 50th is pretty invisible. Best to try and drive the Audi, but I know it's not easy to find one to test drive.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Back in August I was contacted by email by the OP re: a comparison of the Audi R8 v8 vs the Porsche 991 4S.

'Would you mind providing me w/your personal insight/opinion/ownership experience
into why you chose an R8 over a newer model Carrera 4S?
I'm cross shopping both car; however, I've always leaned toward
the 911 b/c I've never owned an Audi.

Are maintenance costs comparable to the 911? Is the R8 reliable?
How does the R8 w/the V8 compare to a 4S Carrera, with respect
to performance, speed & acceleration?
'

Here is what I wrote in my email reply:

'I enjoy the R8. I have never owned a 991, so can't directly compare.
I have a service contract with Audi for around $1K which covers all
required service during first 4 years of warranty. Very inexpensive.
Much more rare than a 991 in my area so people pay attention when
you drive on public streets. R8 has more mechanical noise than 991
and much less luggage space. Not as practical as 991. I like the
Quattro all wheel drive system in the Audi...although adds weight to
car. I think Porsche forum community more engaged & knowledgeable
than the Audi R8 crowd. Enjoy more being part of Porsche world since
there are fewer enthusiasts in Audi world & I know more about Porsche
than I know about Audi.'

I think the OP is doing the right thing by making inquiries from folks that have owned both types of vehicles before making a purchasing decision. But ultimately, one needs to make the decision based on your own experience in driving both cars (gut feeling) and how you think you will fit into the 'culture' of each brand!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: 991 C4S or 991 Turbo or Audi R8 V8