Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merc AMG GT vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't necessarily dislike this cars abilities, but I have never liked cars with massive front overhangs i.e. Vettes, Jags and now this. To me it just looks very odd and although I haven't even sat in one I'm almost certain it wouldn't be much fun for me to drive it. Even though Porsches have gotten bigger over the years, one of the best features I have always liked is the excellent view of the road ahead. It always gives me the impression of driving a much smaller car which I like.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I don't necessarily dislike this cars abilities, but I have never liked cars with massive front overhangs i.e. Vettes, Jags and now this. To me it just looks very odd and although I haven't even sat in one I'm almost certain it wouldn't be much fun for me to drive it. Even though Porsches have gotten bigger over the years, one of the best features I have always liked is the excellent view of the road ahead. It always gives me the impression of driving a much smaller car which I like.
+1

The AMG hood is huge. Not a fan of that look either.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Although I'm sure it will look nice in person I agree... on first impressions it kinda reminds me of this.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Although I'm sure it will look nice in person I agree... on first impressions it kinda reminds me of this.

ha very funny......
Old 02-03-2015, 04:03 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I can see that. It definitely gives the car a more phallic shape too...
Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I am in the minority but I look forward to trying the GT-S. I had a Cayman S, 997.2S, now a 991S, really love it. But I also own 2 Benzes and enjoy them for their purposes. Even if the GT-S is not as good as it appears, so what, the fact that MB is taking this space seriously will keep Porsche on their toes.

I am a bit surprised by all of the negative reaction, as buyers of expensive specialty cars, we win when more competition occurs.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by clembo
Even if the GT-S is not as good as it appears, so what, the fact that MB is taking this space seriously will keep Porsche on their toes.

I am a bit surprised by all of the negative reaction, as buyers of expensive specialty cars, we win when more competition occurs.
I'm not seeing a ton of negative reaction to the car itself, moreso the styling and marketing. Styling is subjective of course but the marketing has a bit of a try hard vibe to it for me... the ad with the kid dreaming is pure eyeroll to me.

That said I have no doubts that it is a brilliant car (all reviews seem to agree) but it is also not a Porsche. A whole new thing as Chris Harris would say. Whether that is better or worse depends on your perspective... but I don't see a bunch of Porsche drivers on a 991 forum favoring the front engine, long nose, tight cabin, low seating position, etc. Part of the 911's broad appeal is its everyday usability, something that the AMG GT seems to lack.

Interesting comments from R&D...

5. It's not a 911. That's not a bad thing.
AMG is doing everything but openly calling out Porsche, but it's a mistake to think they're trying to make a better version of the 911.

What they're doing with the GT and GT S is providing an alternative to the idea of the 911. The GT S at times feels larger, more unwieldy, and yes, less composed than some of the more focused 911 variants, but the car provides a singular experience.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Good points, all, Vise.

I will add that some of us are just unapologetic Porsche lovers. I didn't set out to be that way -- when I was young and my skull still full of mush, sportscar racing was generally a matter of "which 934, 935, 936, 956. or 962 will win today, and which ones will take the rest of the podium spots?" There were no other choices.

And when street cars were every one regressing in the hp and revability departments, regular 911s kept getting marginally faster, and the 930 kept embarrassing every other car sold in the world. 930 vs. 308GTBi 2v at the same price? Are you kidding me?

So I simply want the Porsche offering. I love the look of the Aston Vantage; kinda like the R8, begrudgingly admire the performance of the (childish-looking) C7 Z06, salute the Viper and all it stands for, find the F-Type S to be alluring from many angles, and even appreciate the new Benz for its nod to the classic long-hood 300SLR shape necessitated by the old straight-six motors.

But in the end, with a bit of coin in the pocket and all of those available for about the same price I just realized I never even darkened the door of another dealership. I've been to my two Porsche dealerships a half-dozen times, and will be back a few more, but it never even occurred to me (literally) until I started typing this that I could actually buy any of the cars I just listed instead of a 911 GTS. I'm actually laughing at myself.

But I know the truth, in my case: I'll be happier with a 911 as good as the 991 GTS, even if every other car in its price range is actually better. :shrug: It's weird, but there it is.

(and by the way, I'm no apologist -- I rail against them as loudly as anyone else much of the time. I've had my complaints down through the years about the ones I've owned, and I've not bought a few because of various issues. But in the end...)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
I'm not seeing a ton of negative reaction to the car itself, moreso the styling and marketing. Styling is subjective of course but the marketing has a bit of a try hard vibe to it for me... the ad with the kid dreaming is pure eyeroll to me. That said I have no doubts that it is a brilliant car (all reviews seem to agree) but it is also not a Porsche. A whole new thing as Chris Harris would say. Whether that is better or worse depends on your perspective... but I don't see a bunch of Porsche drivers on a 991 forum favoring the front engine, long nose, tight cabin, low seating position, etc. Part of the 911's broad appeal is its everyday usability, something that the AMG GT seems to lack. Interesting comments from R&D...
Whatever idiot came up with the whole "take on the 911" strategy should be fired. By them talking about the 911 so much, it legitimizes the fact that the 911 is an unbelievable and superior car. I think their idiotic marketing strategy will actually help 911 sales.

After all, how many other cars compete in this segment? It's not like nobody has cross shopped a 911 with other cars.

In most cases in the luxury high end car business, you should mention the competition.

Leave that to Toyota comparing itself to a Honda model.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG991
Whatever idiot came up with the whole "take on the 911" strategy should be fired. By them talking about the 911 so much, it legitimizes the fact that the 911 is an unbelievable and superior car. I think their idiotic marketing strategy will actually help 911 sales.
Yeah its a bit much no doubt... on the one hand they need to be confident enough in their product to directly call out the 911 and by all accounts it is a great car. On the other it reeks of overcompensation and a desperate need to prove themselves against the icon ('I'm great, look at me!'). One car has a 50+ year legacy (road + race) and the other is a new car from a luxury brand that has relatively recently decided they are a sports car manufacturer. Something to be said for earning the recognition vs stating it unilaterally.

I do think the ad works on one level, definitely lots of buzz online and as the saying goes no such thing as bad publicity. That said it certainly will not convince the real hardcore Porsche lover to change allegiances. Just the opposite if anything.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:02 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think AMG know how to build great engines ... but they pretty quickly run out of talent shortly thereafter IMO
They have sucked in the past, but surely they have the best talent now building the best cars in the most advanced and prestigious motor racing, namely the F1. Who knows, the talent could trickle down to their road cars some day.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by gago1101
They have sucked in the past, but surely they have the best talent now building the best cars in the most advanced and prestigious motor racing, namely the F1. Who knows, the talent could trickle down to their road cars some day.
Totally agree... as a big F1 fan the Mercedes-AMG team absolutely killed it in 2014, aside from a couple attrition issues no other team came close. If even 5% of that effort trickles down into their road cars that is a good thing.

Not that Porsche itself doesn't know a thing or two about racing either mind you.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think AMG know how to build great engines ... but they pretty quickly run out of talent shortly thereafter IMO
I take it you have not driven or read any reviews of the almost universally praised SLS Black Series.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:42 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gago1101
I do not know about the other bits of their road cars but their bi turbo motors are very good. I bought my wife the last of the e550s to be produced for the US market and the so called turbo lag is imperceptible to me from any speed or gear. That fact alone makes me think Porsche may do a bang up job. The exhaust is very deep and muted however.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:56 PM
vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it looks great. Don't think it will drive like a 911 but give merc credit for competing.

Quick Reply: Merc AMG GT vs 991