Sponsored by:

Merc AMG GT vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 AM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swells991911
I work for Mercedes Benz in Orlando. In December I was invited to AMG expert training in Palm Desert, CA. where we would be testing the AMG GT S. We drove the track the first day and definitely a exciting and easy to drive car. It does have tons of performance. The second day we drove competitor cars(F Type, M series, and a 911 C2s) we went in the mountains and did some city driving. I have been breathing Mercedes Benz for the last 10 years. Long story short, just purchased my first 991 C2s last week and absolutely love it and drive it to my Benz dealer everyday!
Love it!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Swells991911
I work for Mercedes Benz in Orlando. In December I was invited to AMG expert training in Palm Desert, CA. where we would be testing the AMG GT S. We drove the track the first day and definitely a exciting and easy to drive car. It does have tons of performance. The second day we drove competitor cars(F Type, M series, and a 911 C2s) we went in the mountains and did some city driving. I have been breathing Mercedes Benz for the last 10 years. Long story short, just purchased my first 991 C2s last week and absolutely love it and drive it to my Benz dealer everyday!
Great story. Any nightmares??

The AMG GT just doesn't appeal to me. Would never consider it. I can appreciate it as a car, but the looks and styling just isn't me.

It will appeal to the Mercedes buyer, but not sure about many other people. The segment they're trying to compete in with this car is pretty crowded right now.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Swells991 - congrats on the car. Maybe a future job at a Porsche dealer?
Old 01-31-2015, 05:18 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm glad to see this AMG GT -- the SL went from being a beautiful boulevard cruiser with a lot of power but a dead, dull ride, to being a boulevard cruiser with a lot of power but a dead, dull ride. The current one with the hi-lift blunt nose just continues to look like somebody grafted a C350 sedan front clip onto a wrecked SL550. It's been out now long enough that if we were gonna grow to like it, we'd have done that by now.

So the AMG GT is a great step forward in that arena, in that (to paraphrase Inspector Renault) if I were a potential luxury/sports car buyer, and if the 911 didn't exist, I might find myself attracted to it. Ummm, if the AM Vantage V8 didn't exist. And, ummm, the R8. And the F-Type Coupe.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:37 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The new SL is indeed total disaster.

Yikes. Pretty shameless commercial by M-B. First they make a 911 wannabe then they try to mock it. Reminds me of the Samsung ads trying mock Apple (that worked out so well). One thing will always be consistent: Those who paint themselves as the "wannabe" and portray the other as the "king" (i.e the one that you have to use to advertise to promote yourself), do more damage to themselves, and raise the awareness of the model they're trying to overtake.

Biggest problem with the AMG GT is that the average person might mistake it for a CLA250.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm glad to see this AMG GT -- the SL went from being a beautiful boulevard cruiser with a lot of power but a dead, dull ride, to being a boulevard cruiser with a lot of power but a dead, dull ride. The current one with the hi-lift blunt nose just continues to look like somebody grafted a C350 sedan front clip onto a wrecked SL550. It's been out now long enough that if we were gonna grow to like it, we'd have done that by now.

So the AMG GT is a great step forward in that arena, in that (to paraphrase Inspector Renault) if I were a potential luxury/sports car buyer, and if the 911 didn't exist, I might find myself attracted to it. Ummm, if the AM Vantage V8 didn't exist. And, ummm, the R8. And the F-Type Coupe.
+1
Old 01-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Every time I hear "AMG" I think of every review that JC has done on TG ... a stupidly big engine that totally overpowers the chassis and styling that came from HotWheels ... great if you want to go sideways and toast your tires f*** all use for anything else ... and its still a M-B.

I think AMG know how to build great engines ... but they pretty quickly run out of talent shortly thereafter IMO
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think so too. This add is simply weak. And that car....whats with that nose that won't end? Oh, there must be so much luggage space too in the mini boot. My wife and I did a 9 days road trip when we purchased a 991S and we had enough space for all we (she!) wanted to bring with us and purchase along the way. Im not sure i could do a weekend with a GT, and nevermind rear seats for the kids, the car wasn't designed that way. I guess they (MB) have a point, a rear engined car can't be an overall awesome machine.........
Old 01-31-2015, 10:32 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, it is in the running for most lame, pointless and cheesy commercial of 2015 so far.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by K-A
Well, it is in the running for most lame, pointless and cheesy commercial of 2015 so far. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7-zosIwKA
What a joke. They're marketing it like a Toyota or Honda. Wrong, wrong approach.

Anyone who likes the commercials can't afford it, and those that can afford it are turned off by the commercials.

I thought rear "bumperettes" went out with the 997? Mercedes trying a retro look??
Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The new SL is indeed total disaster. Yikes. Pretty shameless commercial by M-B. First they make a 911 wannabe then they try to mock it. Reminds me of the Samsung ads trying mock Apple (that worked out so well). One thing will always be consistent: Those who paint themselves as the "wannabe" and portray the other as the "king" (i.e the one that you have to use to advertise to promote yourself), do more damage to themselves, and raise the awareness of the model they're trying to overtake. Biggest problem with the AMG GT is that the average person might mistake it for a CLA250.
... And did anyone try closing their eyes whilst playing the ad and listening to the soundtrack... It's all 911!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:17 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I was going to give it a chance and go to a Merc dealer and sit in it and see if I could get a test drive. After that ad, I can't. I am afraid someone I know will see me!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I was going to give it a chance and go to a Merc dealer and sit in it and see if I could get a test drive. After that ad, I can't. I am afraid someone I know will see me!
You better not drive the 911 there. They'll make a commercial of you driving up for a test drive! Imagine the gleam in the sales guys eyes at the MB dealership.

Wear sunglasses too when getting an Uber ride to the dealership.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:46 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extremely high chance I'll be dumping my 991 C4S for an AMG GT S. I love the emotion in this car and think it'll have a stronger personality than the 911. It already has that in the interior. Time will tell.

To be honest the strong [defensive] reaction its getting from this thread shows Mercedes might be on to something. One things for sure- Porsche won't be sitting still and the iconic 911 will be here for generations to come. I know I can always come back into the fold.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris Harris review of it is favorable. I like his work and his opinions are always reasonable.

Quick Reply: Merc AMG GT vs 991