Sponsored by:

Merc AMG GT vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Apologies, to each their own, but I couldn't help but LOL. To me, they're at the bottom of their competition in both of those, especially looks and more especially, drive.

I think this AMG is the nicest looking design M-B has released in some time (the only nice M-B I've seen in some time). Though, like most modern M-B's, it's not "quite right" and isn't saying a lot as I feel M-B have been putting out some of the most ugly and flawed designs. A lot of popping-smoke for immediate effect, but even with a much cleaner surface than other modern M-B's, gawky and awkward things like the headlights, bloated rear, etc. and futuristic like what an 80's movie anticipated the future would be like- interior, IMO will not age well.

The biggest issue facing M-B design is an increasing loss of trademark and confident design language. Every M-B seems like they're throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks. The new CL ("S Coupe") and this both look like M-B has mixed their aping of Bangle-era BMW design to now aping Porsche design (blasphemy). But most of all, they're throwing Jag in there now, as well. The entire side and greenhouse of M-B's Coupes lately reek of classic Jag. To me, this one looks like they wanted to absolutely evoke some 911, i.e basically latch on to the iconic 911 to gain some traction in this space, and then undo all the staunch M-B Coupe virtues of the past, to go after a more British-esque, Jag type look. M-B's designers seem to be furthering what has already become a very uncharacteristic identity crisis that M-B has embarked on, since about 2007.
Agreed. Another way to put it is, if Kia decided to play in the upmarket luxury sports segment, this body (and interior) is what I'd expect them to come up with. It would make a very handsome Kia indeed.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on your perspective... Beauty is in the eye .... Platitude platitude...

I'm not a mercedes fan (despite enjoying 9 years in an AMG) and would NEVER consider buying it myself... but if this came up in my rear view mirror I'd feel like a legitimate challenge was on...

'Familiar' 911 lines - check
'Glorious sound' - check (almost certainly)
'On my drive' - only if it's a visitor

Still feel like the ugly guy that got the beautiful bride every time I get into the 911... 'Nuff said.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I also think that if the new AMG was trying to seriously go after the 911, they'd at least have made it a mid engine (which is what I thought they were doing when I first heard about it).

That super long nose just looks like it'd have to work a lot harder than a 911 to not be inherently clumsy on a track. The 911 isn't a standard proportion car with a standard style engine in a standard area (V8TT, great, but not bespoke and nowhere near as unique, exclusive, iconic and idolized like Porsche's inherently balanced Flat 6) for a reason, and that's what makes it the one-and-only icon that it is, and why it's the only car out there that changing dramatically works against it.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:15 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

It looks better than the SLS. The huge vents and all the sharp creases on the SLS might be design nods to the original gullwing. However, toning down both on the GT shows off the original silhouette of the gullwing better.

GT looks good to me but I'll always want a 911 for my sports car. For someone else that is shopping for a sports car for $100k+, the Mercedes GT will be a strong alternative. It's a Mercedes. It's new. I'm sure the performance will be close enough to a 911. At $100k+, it will be more exclusive. I can see a lot of wives wanting one especially if the ride is a little smoother. Sadly this car may influence Porsche to make the 911 even softer.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I see a Mercedes AMG GT in my future.

Looks great to me, rumbles nicely. I'm partial because I'm Mercedes AMG man.
Say in 3 years after my current CL550 (lookalike) and next CL63 (6.2) / CL65, all about 65% depreciation but with 4 years and unlimited miles CPO warranty. I depreciated my '05 CL65 about $10K in 3 years and 30K miles. You could do worse rumbling around in comfort.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I see a Mercedes AMG GT in my future.
Yup. Same.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I will be getting an AMG GT S, and then an AMG GT Black Series when it finally comes out (primarily because I have all the other BS's).

The AMG GT S will be a fantastic grand tourer / daily driver for me.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:43 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I also think that if the new AMG was trying to seriously go after the 911, they'd at least have made it a mid engine (which is what I thought they were doing when I first heard about it).

That super long nose just looks like it'd have to work a lot harder than a 911 to not be inherently clumsy on a track. The 911 isn't a standard proportion car with a standard style engine in a standard area (V8TT, great, but not bespoke and nowhere near as unique, exclusive, iconic and idolized like Porsche's inherently balanced Flat 6) for a reason, and that's what makes it the one-and-only icon that it is, and why it's the only car out there that changing dramatically works against it.
They don't need to make it mid-engine to go after a 911. As you can see, the C7 Corvette is doing just fine dynamically against the 991. Does the Ferrari F12 need to be mid-engine as well? Don't think so.

As far as the long nose is concerned, the engine is well behind the front wheels so it will be far from clumsy. This car is supposed to be dynamically superior to the SLS, which was never described as clumsy. This car won't be as oversteer happy and dangerous at the limit as that car to boot.

Mercedes is completely aware that it won't have the golden icon status that the 911 enjoys- that's not the point here. It is supposed to be a formidable competitor; and I have no reason to believe it won't achieve that goal. Looks great here:

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
I'm not a mercedes fan (despite enjoying 9 years in an AMG) and would NEVER consider buying it myself... but if this came up in my rear view mirror I'd feel like a legitimate challenge was on...

If this - no, scratch that- ANYTHING comes up in your rear view mirror, no challenge is on- you already LOST!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:36 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whats the proper comp a 991 or Turbo?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten

They don't need to make it mid-engine to go after a 911. As you can see, the C7 Corvette is doing just fine dynamically against the 991. Does the Ferrari F12 need to be mid-engine as well? Don't think so.

As far as the long nose is concerned, the engine is well behind the front wheels so it will be far from clumsy. This car is supposed to be dynamically superior to the SLS, which was never described as clumsy. This car won't be as oversteer happy and dangerous at the limit as that car to boot.

Mercedes is completely aware that it won't have the golden icon status that the 911 enjoys- that's not the point here. It is supposed to be a formidable competitor; and I have no reason to believe it won't achieve that goal. Looks great here:
Fair enough, I'm sure they got the dynamics right. IMO the design looks too close to like an SLK or SL (or the increasing number of MB's using that front) at first glance. That's one issue I think MB will keep facing as more cheap cars (and many of them straight up ugly and awkward) come out, all sharing design and parts. It makes it hard to justify spending such money for the upper range models, as they lose their presence to the increasing normalcy of MB's in general. Of course the the AMG SLS and GT, being much more exotic and bespoke in nature separate them from the fray (also offer unique chassis and dynamics that give a fundamental reason to pay up from common Benzes), but IMO still resembles the lesser cars to make justifying such high prices, more difficult.

Mercedes has become a more "bottom to up" brand, while Porsche is still very much a "top to down" one.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Certainly not understated. Looks like the designers were high school boys
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
Fair enough, I'm sure they got the dynamics right. IMO the design looks too close to like an SLK or SL (or the increasing number of MB's using that front) at first glance. That's one issue I think MB will keep facing as more cheap cars (and many of them straight up ugly and awkward) come out, all sharing design and parts. It makes it hard to justify spending such money for the upper range models, as they lose their presence to the increasing normalcy of MB's in general. Of course the the AMG SLS and GT, being much more exotic and bespoke in nature separate them from the fray (also offer unique chassis and dynamics that give a fundamental reason to pay up from common Benzes), but IMO still resembles the lesser cars to make justifying such high prices, more difficult.

Mercedes has become a more "bottom to up" brand, while Porsche is still very much a "top to down" one.
I can definitely see what you're saying, but it seems Mercedes is testing the waters to see if they can do what they do overseas over here. As you know, Mercedes has no problem operating taxi cabs over in Europe and still commanding a price premium for its S-class. If the sales of the S-class are anything to go by, they're doing just fine for the time being. Personally I don't think many buyers are truly that concerned, especially when MB's competitors are doing the same thing.

It's also worth noting that Mercedes is under different market pressures than Porsche, which has a parent company to help its cash flow. That's why the entry-level 718 was canceled and Porsche will still be just fine despite that. Mercedes has to run the full gamut of price segments to keep the financials healthy.

Originally Posted by rnl
You're assuming the purpose of the car was to be understated. Not everyone in this segment wants a 911 when presented with the option of something more expressive. There's room in the market for choice.

All this coming from a happy 911 owner.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
That seems to be the current fashion, as exemplified by the C7 Corvette. I guess if the high-school doodle look sells cars it's hard to argue. Kids have more money nowadays than they (we) used to.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That seems to be the current fashion, as exemplified by the C7 Corvette. I guess if the high-school doodle look sells cars it's hard to argue. Kids have more money nowadays than they (we) used to.
Trust that the average age of the buyer for these cars will still be 50+.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Quick Reply: Merc AMG GT vs 991