991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merc AMG GT vs 991

Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

"Handcrafted by racers?" That's how they want to play it? Really?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:44 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I know, it's crazy, isn't it?

http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/
Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes and Motorsport?.......they are not lacking: F1, DTM, and FIA GT3 class racing (SLS GT3).
Old 09-15-2014, 06:03 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Handcrafted for your midlifecrisis" just doesn't have that ring to it I guess.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
Certainly looks very sharp. We'll have to see the reviews on handling and driving dynamics. Will it be a scalpel like the 911 or just a brute hammer like the C63 that goes like stink but doesn't really handle very well?
my vote is for brute hammer - seems like all AMG know how to do.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harsany
hmmmmmmm..not feeling it from the pics. I will have to see it in person.
+1 its just plain fugly
Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
That thing in the center console- the world's first cigar aficionado size ash tray? Trash compactor? Air hockey table? (I notice the air hockey puck holder nearby is why I ask.)

Does make me wonder why they bother copying Porsche door handles while otherwise going all Buck Rogers.
+1 I was just going to comment that the interior looked like something out of Battlestar Galactica ...
Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Late to this thread, but I did discover (and confirm) that the massive center console ashtray cover conceals two full sized cup holders.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Whilst liking the flowing exterior from most angles and awesome powerplant of the AMG GT: To my eyes it's interior comes across as bloated and fussy, not a place I'd pay for to be in. Material use looks the part though.

The unfussy look and feel of a 991 cockpit, now that is a place I could live in.
The interior of the AMG GT is a bit fussy, but at the same time, a lot more interesting than that of the 911. And I'm sure a lot of the details will be standard, whereas it would cost and arm / leg to option a 911 with full-leather / carbon / deviated stitching / two tone interior.

Porsche interiors tend to be pretty business-like and boring to my eyes, especially with minimal options.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I'm one of the few that think this car looks ugly, and no I'm not a Porsche fanboy. I love my 911 but appreciate other brands' nice car just as much. This one just looks weird to me. I really agree that Mercedes has gone crazy with their sport car designs. Their sedans looks great. The new S class coupe looks amazing too. But the new SL is just simply ugly and seems like this AMG GT is following down that same path. It just doesn't look like a Mercedes. I do think the interior looks nice though. It's different. Exterior...terrible.

I would be happy to trade my 911 for a SLS AMG, but not for this car.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

While maybe not in that black/red combination, I think the interior of that Mercedes in all black would surpass the similar 991 interior in terms of style/quality. Quite frankly the 991 is the Panamera interior stuffed into a smaller package with 800 different cheap feeling buttons, some of which need to be pressed every time the car is turned on and have the plastic start to look worn in short order. It will likely age hideously as the 996 and to a lesser extent the 997 have.

Exterior wise that Mercedes isn't even close to the 991. The proportions just look off. It's like the new C63 with a stretched hood and 2 doors instead of 4. Not sure why you'd pay 100k+ for this car when you can get a better looking sedan version of it for about half the price.

I predict it will flop next to 911 sales.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 its just plain fugly
+2... I agree with you!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a leg man
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Mercedes makes the best looking sedans in the world right now, and their SUV's are competitive too (except that fugly square one).
Apologies, to each their own, but I couldn't help but LOL. To me, they're at the bottom of their competition in both of those, especially looks and more especially, drive.

I think this AMG is the nicest looking design M-B has released in some time (the only nice M-B I've seen in some time). Though, like most modern M-B's, it's not "quite right" and isn't saying a lot as I feel M-B have been putting out some of the most ugly and flawed designs. A lot of popping-smoke for immediate effect, but even with a much cleaner surface than other modern M-B's, gawky and awkward things like the headlights, bloated rear, etc. and futuristic like what an 80's movie anticipated the future would be like- interior, IMO will not age well.

The biggest issue facing M-B design is an increasing loss of trademark and confident design language. Every M-B seems like they're throwing whatever they can at the wall to see what sticks. The new CL ("S Coupe") and this both look like M-B has mixed their aping of Bangle-era BMW design to now aping Porsche design (blasphemy). But most of all, they're throwing Jag in there now, as well. The entire side and greenhouse of M-B's Coupes lately reek of classic Jag.

To me, this one looks like they wanted to absolutely evoke some 911, i.e basically latch on to the iconic 911 to gain some traction in this space, and then undo all the staunch M-B Coupe virtues of the past, to go after a more British-esque, Jag type look. M-B's designers seem to be furthering what has already become a very uncharacteristic identity crisis that M-B has embarked on, since about 2007.

If you drive the new C Class, although the interior blows its competitors away, it looks and feels/drives more "old man-ish" than any C before it, which shows M-B are still lacking in dynamics behind never mind Porsche, but their actual closest competitors. I feel that this is why they are going stronger with the AMG models to showcase their sporty side, as the regular models seem to go backwards in that sense.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I've said it before and I'll say it again, MB != sport/sport car to me. Just to awkward and prissy ... Just my two cents. I respect that some people enjoy the over the top noise, smoke etc. Just not for me.

Although, just to show you how backwards I can be sometimes, the one MB that most people really hate (boxy g-wagon), I absolutely love.

Hey, to each there own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Merc AMG GT vs 991