Sponsored by:

Merc AMG GT vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I don't see the GT as a classic design that's going to stand the test of time (say 50+ years).

If I was going to make a switch from the 911, I'd be far more interested in the new F-type (now that's a looker) vs the AMG GT.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Personally, I don't see the GT as a classic design that's going to stand the test of time (say 50+ years). If I was going to make a switch from the 911, I'd be far more interested in the new F-type (now that's a looker) vs the AMG GT.
Thanks for reinforcing my quote of how ugly the Mercedes is. The Jag isn't far behind.

Thanks for the comparison pics!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM
STG
Race Director

Look at the length of the Mercedes from the front wheel well to the edge of the door! Yuck!

You could set up a tent and camp out on that hood!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Look at the length of the Mercedes from the front wheel well to the edge of the door! Yuck!
Well, to be fair, a lot of that perceived length is in comparison to the 991, with it's insanely long front overhang. This means the Carrera's wheels are pushed way back towards the door, where the Benz's are pulled forward. Not really fair to focus on only that dimension.

Look instead at how little car is in front of the leading edge of the wheel well on the Benz, and they come out looking a lot better.

(Mind you, I don't like them at all -- just sayin')
Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well, to be fair, a lot of that perceived length is in comparison to the 991, with it's insanely long front overhang. This means the Carrera's wheels are pushed way back towards the door, where the Benz's are pulled forward. Not really fair to focus on only that dimension. Look instead at how little car is in front of the leading edge of the wheel well on the Benz, and they come out looking a lot better. (Mind you, I don't like them at all -- just sayin')
Yes, I see that too. The front wheel pushed up and practically part of the headlight doesn't look great either on the AMG.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The proportions are downright comical. Way overboard to where it just loses the essence of "sexy" and looks like a phallic cartoon car. More clumsiness to overcome on a drive as well. And the interior apparently is as cramped and claustrophobia inducing as it looks.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM
nullspace
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 52 Posts

I can't really judge the car without driving it, but I am a bit disturbed that they went with single piston sliding calipers in the back. Maybe I'm overestimating the amount of heat the rears will produce, but that smacks of inappropriate cost cutting. Having melted the brakes on my E92 M3 (granted, I was pushing them at the track), I am leery of brakes that can't withstand continued heavy use. In a car meant to compete with the 911 it doesn't seem like the right call.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

If I was going to make a switch from the 911, I'd be far more interested in the new F-type (now that's a looker) vs the AMG GT.

Yes, I'd also take Jag F-Type over AMG GT. I saw F-Type in person a few times, and it was beautiful. The sound was cool, too.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Right, how is it going to hold value or stand the test of time without those little thingies over the wheel openings?

Last edited by chuckbdc; 05-18-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Right, how is it going to hold value or stand the test of time without those little thingies over the wheel openings?
Thanks for posting that pic. I couldn't really figure out why I don't like the design of the new AMG. But love the old gullwing with a bit of overhang in the back as well. They obviously have been focusing on performance in this case. To get a mid engine feel and better weight distribution between rear and front!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nullspace
I can't really judge the car without driving it, but I am a bit disturbed that they went with single piston sliding calipers in the back. Maybe I'm overestimating the amount of heat the rears will produce, but that smacks of inappropriate cost cutting. Having melted the brakes on my E92 M3 (granted, I was pushing them at the track), I am leery of brakes that can't withstand continued heavy use. In a car meant to compete with the 911 it doesn't seem like the right call.
Mercedes uses that setup frequently throughout their lineup. The SL63 (significantly heavier) and E63 AMG models have been extensively tested on the track by countless magazines with this setup and haven't had any issues.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

You could set up a tent and camp out on that hood!
I dont see either the aircraft lifts or the steam catapults anywhere ... maybe they are reserved for the "Nimitz" limited edition ...

"launch Mavrick in the alert 5 aircraft" ....
Old 02-05-2015, 06:04 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Now they're going for blood! "The car you dreamed of as a child has just been overtaken." Pretty bold... http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501308...911-nightmares
The bigger the lie the easier it is to sell apparently. That car is hilarious by the way. They tried as hard as they could to steal the 911 rear end while leaving the front looking like an ugly phallic kit car.

They'll sell some I guess because everything eventually sells. But I don't see this costing a single 911 sale. Anyone one that buys that ugly overpriced under performing design flaw isn't someone we want driving a 911 anyway. We'll leave them as crumbs on the floor for MB to pick up all day long.

Same price as a GT3 with less than non power kit C2S performance, butt ugly looks and it comes standard with its own built in inferiority complex. I bet Corvette steals more sales from it than it steals from Porsche lol
Old 02-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by nullspace

I do agree,...regardless of any performance differences, at this price level I only want to see nice multi-piston calipers on all four corners. Placing gaudy painted sliding calipers on this car screams cheap to me. Take some of the money spent on the bling interior and put it where it counts for a performance car.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

So I got a chance to sit in the AMG GT S at the Toronto auto show on the weekend... although obviously I've yet to drive one just sitting in it was enough to convince me I made the right move going with a 911 (duh). I found the ingress/egress to be a bit of a pain as it has really wide door sills... I'm not exactly the most fit guy and I basically had to tumble in and out of it.

Once inside it is very tight with a low seating position... almost feels like you're sitting inside a tank. The rear visibility is terrible and from the drivers seat the hood looks like it stretches on for miles, seems like pointing the front end for tight parking situations could be very tricky until you get familiar with the dimensions. Admittedly the interior is really nice though, definitely feels special even if the cupholders/shifter situation is a bit odd. Also not a huge fan of the tacked on nav screen look but that is a general comment for BMW, Mercedes, and others.

As hard as it is to believe the front end looks even longer in person... honestly feels like half the car is in front of the windshield. The 911 I found is very much the opposite, the first thing I noticed was how bright it was inside and how great the 360 degree visibility is. Different approaches obviously but it goes back to the everyday usability of the 911 against the competition... that said I'll certainly take the GT S for a test drive when they hit dealers just to see what it is like.

Quick Reply: Merc AMG GT vs 991