Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche vs trailer hitch

Old 07-26-2014, 01:44 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Dr. I think that's fine - I would just have a chat with them before they do the work that you want it to be perfect and aren't taking it until it is. When you pick the car up have them take back it up inside the shop and carefully go over it under bright lights -take your time. The most common flaws are orange peel, irregular clear coat depth and overspray - most if not all can be corrected through proper further detailing, just tough stuff to correct on your own. Good luck!!
Thanks for everyone's help again. I will probably stick with my local porsche certified guys. They already know that I'm a nut, and that it has to be perfect.
In terms of the blending - they did mention doing that into the fenders. I told them with a black car I didn't think it was necessary, and would prefer to keep everything factory as much as possible. They said that with pretty much any color except for black, you need to blend into the fenders...but with black and a new car, we may be able to get away with not blending. We will see when I being it in...
I'm hoping that because they are getting a brand new primes good from porsche that they will paint/clear coat in their clean room and then pop it onto the car.
Just a question - how can you tell an uneven clear coat depth?
Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I think having them paint just the hood given it's a black non-metallic car is a good play and if they're paying attention it should work. Even with just 1 panel painted most dealers will still allow the car to be CPO'd.

As to the clear - try to get your line of sight to an even plane with the leading edge of the hood - creat a fixed starting point then slowly examine front to back and leading edge towards middle of the hood. Break it down into the following sections - front lip, half the right hood, second half right side, then half of back cowl section facing windshield. Repeat for the other sides. Finally get in the drivers seat and then passenger seat looking at the leading edge facing the windshield and sweep using a similar technique. The edges good Dr. ...when you're hand painting a clear, that's where the magic happens. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. It'll all work out - explain to them how you plan on examining it, they'll have the proper frame of reference when they do it ). Good luck!

PS

My brother is an MD, PhD - pathologist, brother in law MD-opthomologist and good friend is an MD - interventional cardiologist. You have the right training to do a great visual inspection!! Cheers!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

My 2 yo garage queen 991S was damaged in my parking lot at work. Three months, $10k and a big check for diminished value it's back better than new now. The repaired back end is actually better than the 2 yo factory paint on the rest of the car. I figure it's on the carfax forever, it's worth more to me than it is on trade. Since the accident, it went from pampered, low miles Sunday car to my DD Camry, rain or shine. I'm enjoying this car more now than any of my previous Porsches. Since I plan to keep it and drive the wheels off it now, I just got an aftermarket stereo system put in that rivals/bests the Burmester.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Carcam - what happened? Someone rear ended you in the garage?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Not to hijack the thread- but yes, in the parking lot at my work.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Sorry - duplicate post!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I think having them paint just the hood given it's a black non-metallic car is a good play and if they're paying attention it should work. Even with just 1 panel painted most dealers will still allow the car to be CPO'd. As to the clear - try to get your line of sight to an even plane with the leading edge of the hood - creat a fixed starting point then slowly examine front to back and leading edge towards middle of the hood. Break it down into the following sections - front lip, half the right hood, second half right side, then half of back cowl section facing windshield. Repeat for the other sides. Finally get in the drivers seat and then passenger seat looking at the leading edge facing the windshield and sweep using a similar technique. The edges good Dr. ...when you're hand painting a clear, that's where the magic happens. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. It'll all work out - explain to them how you plan on examining it, they'll have the proper frame of reference when they do it ). Good luck! PS My brother is an MD, PhD - pathologist, brother in law MD-opthomologist and good friend is an MD - interventional cardiologist. You have the right training to do a great visual inspection!! Cheers!
Thanks for the detailed response. I will certainly evaluate the paint just as you described. I also like the idea of explaining this to them prior to the work being done, so they can make sure they live up to expectations!

BTW - orthopaedics/hand surgery is my specialty. It's a great field for my OCD - very therapeutic!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Sorry to hear about the parking incident.
Aluminum = new hood.
I have a second factory hood on mine, painted and fitted by a certified Porsche shop. Not lost any sleep over it.

While your tow hitch incident sucked, completely altering driving and use behavior around parking would seem depressing to me. It would remove entirely the every day magic. Being held hostage by my car is not what I seek.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:21 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
Just a question - how can you tell an uneven clear coat depth?
If there comes a moment of levity during the discussions, I'd be tempted to say (jokingly) "well sure I'll trade no blending on black, for a paint depth gauge heh".

You never know, they might "find" one for you.

I'd love to have one of those, especially over 2-3 years to monitor detailing impact on clearcoat.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
My 2 yo garage queen 991S was damaged in my parking lot at work. Three months, $10k and a big check for diminished value it's back better than new now. The repaired back end is actually better than the 2 yo factory paint on the rest of the car. I figure it's on the carfax forever, it's worth more to me than it is on trade. Since the accident, it went from pampered, low miles Sunday car to my DD Camry, rain or shine. I'm enjoying this car more now than any of my previous Porsches. Since I plan to keep it and drive the wheels off it now, I just got an aftermarket stereo system put in that rivals/bests the Burmester.
Who was your insurer? I have SF and have heard they are good for Porsches but no idea how they treat "dimished value". I've only had claims with them on beaters before so "blue book" was fine with me.

Its very liberating to mentally allow yourself to just drive and enjoy the car isn't it?

What stereo did you go with?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

An update:
After 2 weeks in the shop (mostly waiting for the new hood to arrive) and 2 weeks in a Chrysler 200 rental with 30,000 miles in it that smelled of smoke (nasty)...my baby is back! Insurance picked up all but my fairly modest deductible...which was great.
The porsche approved repair shop did a great job. It looks like new again. Perfect seams, and perfect paint job. I had a chance to rewash it (they did a terrible job...I know, I should have asked them not to wash it) and have posted a pic below.
One thing is for sure...2 weeks of driving a crappy rental really makes you appreciate this car that much more. It is absolutely amazing!
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

By the way - I know it's a crappy iPhone picture..
Old 08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Great! Glad things worked out for you. Looks like new!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:32 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Sweet! Glad it worked out!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Looks great! Now forget about all that bad stuff that happened and get out there and drive it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche vs trailer hitch