Sponsored by:

Balaclava's C4S European Delivery Diary

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 PM
balaclava
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by btchin
i'm curious...did you develop your itinerary on your own, or was your route suggested by porsche or someone else?
I'm originally from Europe and I have visited all of these places before - just had to put together an intensive yet enjoyable itinerary for only 6 days. Planning was half the fun. :-)

Here is a map of most of our route, without the Lucerne - Schwarzwald - Stuttgart leg, as google maps does not allow adding any more via points:

Name:  4RRE6M3.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  122.4 KB

If I had more time, I would have included my favorites in Austria (Grossglockner and Nockalmstrasse, the later right next to the Porsche Museum in Gmund - the barn when the first cars branded "Porsche" were built), more in Switzerland and Italy (Lugano and Como for sure) and Route Napoleon and Col de Turini in the French Alps. Next time...

I recommend you all: you can do this anytime, no need for an excuse like buying a new 911. Planning is easy:
  1. figure out when you want to travel (May-September) and for how long.
  2. decide where you want to fly in, perhaps based on car rental options. (Google will find you Porsches for rent in pretty much any major city; for the Alps, consider flying to Munich, Zurich, Milan and Stuttgart.)
  3. plan the route using google maps: just look for curvy roads and include popular passes (google for "top 10 alpine passes" or go to ultimatedrives.net for inspiration.)
  4. pick towns/cities that are "strategically located" along your route for stopover. Go to booking.com and find hotel options in that town - unless you are looking for luxury hotels, this works just fine.
  5. (optional) ask this community for feedback on your plan. :-)
Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM
btchin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sweet thanks! i wanted to do ED for my next porsche but timing will be such that it will be sometime in dec-feb, so i'm guessing the chances of bad weather during those months might make this ill-advised...as you suggest maybe i'll just have to do it in a rental during the summer
Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by balaclava
Thanks to all of you who commented on this thread. Your feedback made it worth the time it took to write up my trip. I strongly recommend you to take on any opportunity to drive Porsches in Europe in the summer, whether that's European Delivery, Porsche Travel or some other specialized travel agent (Fastlane Travel for example). Or just fly there and rent a Porsche and go to the mountains. You can find culture, food, wine, hikes and great drives. Go for it.

Finally, one more image of what's nice about guards red and at the same time honestly what is slightly wrong with a red 911: that it is not silver or white, but red, the traditional racing color of Italy...

If Italy is associated with the color red, Britain with Green, what, may ask, goes with:

Germany=
France=
USA=
Spain=
Austria=
Russia=
Brazil=
Significant Others=
Old 07-23-2015, 07:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._racing_colors
Old 07-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Duh

Originally Posted by chuck911
Ii I weren't a lazy **** I could have, should have, looked this up myself! Thanks Chuck...
Old 07-15-2017, 06:06 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done!

(thread resurrection)
Old 07-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Great write up of your ED journey. I too am a Guards Red, 4S, MT owner and I am in full agreement with you on the beautiful handling characteristics of the 4S and the MT transmission.
After several Porsches I will be hanging on to this car for a long while. I am not anti turbo after owning 4 previous Porsche TT's but do love the all out wail of the NA motor when driven hard.
Good luck with your car it's a real beauty.

Quick Reply: Balaclava's C4S European Delivery Diary