Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
By the way Nicoli, your average speed over 1800 non-interstate miles is pretty darned impressive!
It has been, easily, the most exciting and rewarding little drive I've ever undertaken and I've been driving from Cali to New York and back most of my life in different cars and motorcycles. It was just insanely good. This car is beyond belief.

Sent from mobile using Rennlist
Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys. Still here, and still vacillating. However, I think it will be the Coupe. I have to commit in the next couple of weeks. My concern on the Cabriolet is lack of stiffness, and potential for noise (which drives me crazy). I also like the lines better on the Coupe, and the small back window is a bummer (but at least it is glass.) I admit, however, it is a very difficult decision. No matter the choice, there will be moments I wish I had the other.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
Hey guys. Still here, and still vacillating. However, I think it will be the Coupe. I have to commit in the next couple of weeks. My concern on the Cabriolet is lack of stiffness, and potential for noise (which drives me crazy). I also like the lines better on the Coupe, and the small back window is a bummer (but at least it is glass.) I admit, however, it is a very difficult decision. No matter the choice, there will be moments I wish I had the other.
Get one of each.

Problem. Solved.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, my 991 Cab is my first convertible. I never seriously considered one before, and only did with the 991 because the only manual 991 the dealer had was a Cab. It is by far the most coupe-like 'vert I have ever driven. Perhaps now that I have had my car for 8 months, I would feel the difference between it and the coupe more. But I have found that I drive the car top down almost all the time in the spring/summer here in Chicagoland. Low speed cruising on a beautiful day? Top down, windows down. Even at high 80s, it's beautiful, and with ventilated seats......great. Higher speeds? Put up the wind deflector and there is very little buffeting.

I think the car looks fantastic with the top up, and keeps the same lines as the coupe, but visibility is a little compromised. Top up in the winter is just fine. I think it's the best of both worlds.

My last car was an E46 M3. I test drove a new M3 Cab before I got mine (slightly used) and hated it. It felt heavy and sluggish. This is not at all like that.

The Cab also solves the Ugly Sunroof problem. ;-)

It's all personal preference and you can't go wrong either way. It will be great fun regardless, and I agree that if you are going to track it, get the coupe.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All: Thanks for your input. It was a very difficult decision. I decided on the Turbo S Coupe. In the end I saw no real obvious reason to go one way of the other. As many of you pointed out, it is merely personal preference. I chose the coupe based on a nagging voice in my head. I also realized that I was sold on the coupe but trying to find a reason to go Cabriolet. No doubt whatever I had chosen there would be moments that I regretted it. But in the end, it is:

2015 Turbo S Coupe
GT Silver
Agate Gray Interior

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to test drive one for yourself you can't make this decision based on everyone else's opinions. Did you test one?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You made the right choice. I don't really see why you would get a Turbo S cab.... if I had a cab I would want to proceed at a more gingerly pace... like that of a regular turbo.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM
2013991black7sp
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to DE the car some tracks will not allow the Cab.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't even see the point of a car at that level having a drop top. Hard top all the way.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Coupe vs Cab

Has anyone seen a one on one coup over cab image?
are the design lines the same on the roof side when the cab is closed?
for some reason, my eyes are finding them to be diff, while it maybe the win that is playing games on me, I’d love to see an actual render or one on one pic.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Cabriolet