Sponsored by:

NAV-TV back-up Camera on 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default NAV-TV back-up Camera on 991

Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket NAV-TV Back-up Camera for the 991? What other options are there if any to the NAV-TV. Local electronics installer is quoting $1200-$1300 installed.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8171...cab-today.html
Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by windboat
Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket NAV-TV Back-up Camera for the 991? What other options are there if any to the NAV-TV. Local electronics installer is quoting $1200-$1300 installed.
Note that the RGB PCM3.1 product you reference here is not what member Richard_911 installed recently. The RGB PCM3.1 kit requires opening the PCM unit, swapping out a ribbon cable, and routing wires through a hole in the back of the unit that installer creates. Doing this will also potentially void warranty on the PCM unit if you run into problems later down the road. The advantage with the RGB unit is I believe there are multiple video source in capabilities, for front, rear, and in-motion video capabilities.

If what you are looking for is what Richard_911 installed, what you should be looking at from NAV-TV is the PCM3.1XG-CAM product. This has only recently been offered specifically for the 991 chassis, but was available for the Cayenne and Panamera models for several years. NAVTV guy told me this was only because until a week ago they never had a 991 to test with! They haven't updated their web site yet to indicate availability for the 991 yet also.... so look for the product, not units for the 991. Note, the cost is less than the RGB unit, and installation should only take an hour or so for the integration unit (camera is separate!), and install of the PCM3.1XG-CAM certainly shouldn't cost anywhere near $1,000+!!!!

Here's why: All that you need to do to install 3.1XG-CAM is pull the PCM unit far enough out of the dash to plug the adapter cable into the 991 wiring harness, and basically that is it! No opening the PCM unit, no cutting hole in the PCM case, no re-wiring, etc. so you shouldn't have any issue with warranty! I've pulled the PCM unit out of my own dash, and it took me about 30 minutes.... I'll be posting a DIY on that one of these days....

The camera is another story, as you most likely need to run a wire to the rear. You can get power from the reverse lights so you would only need the video feed. I haven't done this yet, but shouldn't be difficult since a lot of cabling runs back there.... I am also considering 2.4Ghz WIRELESS --yes, I know the quality might not be as good, but i wouldn't be doing this for HD quality or recording anyways. You simply mount the camera, wire to the reverse lights for power, and attach the receiver to the NAV-TV unit behind the PCM unit.

In theory, that is it.... in a nutshell....

Quick Reply: NAV-TV back-up Camera on 991