Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Gear shift assist (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/815125-gear-shift-assist.html)

andrewmos 05-14-2014 06:34 AM

Gear shift assist

Gear shift assist on multifunction display. Does it work if the MT car is not equipped with sport chrono?

Team Plutonium 05-14-2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmos (Post 11366728)
Gear shift assist on multifunction display. Does it work if the MT car is not equipped with sport chrono?

The arrows are "standard" in normal mode, and goes away in sport mode. Having said that feature is pretty useless if you know how to drive stick anyway.

andrewmos 05-14-2014 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mean this one.

(in vehicles with manual transmission)

In order to provide assistance during performance-oriented driving, a graphic display of the upshift indicator is shown in the “Gear shift assist” main menu.
The gearshift assistant displays a prompt to shift to the next-higher gear with a pre-indication via segments that fill up. The sequence in which the segments are filled with colour is white, yellow, red.

Attachment 833989

Team Plutonium 05-14-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmos (Post 11366794)
I mean this one. (in vehicles with manual transmission) In order to provide assistance during performance-oriented driving, a graphic display of the upshift indicator is shown in the “Gear shift assist” main menu. The gearshift assistant displays a prompt to shift to the next-higher gear with a pre-indication via segments that fill up. The sequence in which the segments are filled with colour is white, yellow, red.

All 911 have the big one in the middle... shift at redline. ;)

drcollie 05-14-2014 09:12 AM

Yes, it works with or without Sport Chrono. It won't begin to display until you get the revs up, however.

008 05-14-2014 09:33 AM

Don't have SC and I don't have the above gearshift assist. It just looks like a smaller tach??

mrstep 05-14-2014 10:30 AM

I don't have SC, have never seen that either. Then again, maybe it needs be turned on in the PCM, or maybe I've just been too busy watching the road and glancing at the analog gearshift assist in the center. ;)

Maybe someone who has noticed this can comment on whether it's more helpful than the tach itself - I've certainly pushed the RPMs up high enough that I should have seen this appear, but really never even thought to look at the multifunction display in those moments, but if it happens below 6000 or 6500, I think I would have noticed.

008 05-14-2014 11:45 AM

I keep my tire pressures on the multifuction display on the track so not sure when I'd use this unless I can put them on the big screen. Also, my useless upshift arrow for fuel economy does not go away with sport on.

socalsteve 05-14-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mrstep (Post 11367031)
I don't have SC, have never seen that either. Then again, maybe it needs be turned on in the PCM, or maybe I've just been too busy watching the road and glancing at the analog gearshift assist in the center. ;)

Maybe someone who has noticed this can comment on whether it's more helpful than the tach itself - I've certainly pushed the RPMs up high enough that I should have seen this appear, but really never even thought to look at the multifunction display in those moments, but if it happens below 6000 or 6500, I think I would have noticed.

The screen only comes about in cars equipped with Sports Chrono...

eg991 05-14-2014 07:12 PM

My 7MT car has Sport Chrono and so I've seen the gear shift assist screen, but I think it's a total waste. Even if you're not shifting based on feel/ sound alone, it's much easier just to look at the tach as opposed to looking at this smaller screen to the right of the tach.

TOporschefan 05-14-2014 10:51 PM

I actually keep this screen setting on most the time. When I am driving aggressively it is nice to have the visual in my periphery. I like having it.

bizwiz 05-19-2017 05:17 PM

I have a 2017 991.2 C4S with a 7 speed manual and sport chrono. I have the gear shift assist screen, but the colors and tach do not work. It is all gray and white except an orange bar at the end of the non-functioning teach. My dealer cannot find what's wrong, but going to email Porsche. Anyone have an idea of how to correct?

AlBinVA 05-20-2017 11:21 AM

You only see colors as you approach redline

and it happens very fast in first and second gears. I concentrate on tach as you can follow the needle all the way up as opposed to the colored bar that suddenly appears as you get close.

bizwiz 05-20-2017 12:31 PM

In my case there are no colors even close to redline. Thank you for your help.

LTP 05-22-2017 11:11 PM

Does anyone how to add shift assist for PDK?

I've seen someone did it for tracking?