Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL's Black 911 50

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why everyone is so against the sunroof? I have the same black 50th, and you can not see the sunroof from the outside at all, it is only when someone comes in the car that they see that I have the glass sunroof. The extra light inside is just great.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:47 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sunroof delete as a desirable option started with air-cooled cars of certain era (80's & 90's) due to rarity, aesthetics, reduced weight & improved CG. I think on a 964 it adds something like 42 lbs (18kg) of weight to the highest point in the car (including all the mechanicals & electrics). Some even go to great expense by re-skinning the roof with metal, FG and even Carbon panel to improve power to weight ratio and cornering (die to lowered CG). Cars of this era with factory sunroof delete command a higher price too so its not just aesthetics as there is more at play.

As for modern 911's, sunroof is certainly a preferred option specially in the glass guise even though its even heavier than its "electric" counterpart and am sure commands a higher premium in the used car market as is the case with PDK. Opinion here on Rennlist is obviously tilted towards the enthusiast crowd who are actually a minority out there. As an example I noted that over 50% of rennlist 50th owners have MT7 whereas its more like 15% when you add the non-enthusiast owners to the equation.

So to answer you question it's not everyone, just majority of rennlisters that prefer the 50th in its pure form of sunroof delete & manual g/box. No numbers but my feeling is that 50th has attracted more of the purist crowd with its retro looks than other 991 models out there.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by pvr
Not sure why everyone is so against the sunroof? I have the same black 50th, and you can not see the sunroof from the outside at all, it is only when someone comes in the car that they see that I have the glass sunroof. The extra light inside is just great.
I've owned 911s with and without a sunroof. Trust me, not everyone is against the sunroof (you'll find this out if/when you go to sell your car). There are good reasons to skip it but also obvious arguments in favor of it. Like most of the debates here, it's just a matter of personal preference. If you have it and like it, then you made the correct choice in opting for it.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM
pvr
Instructor

Yes, I absolutely love it
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Lovely vehicle and I am glad you sprang for Modesta!!!

Bruce
Carolina Auto Image
Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 PM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, what a sweet ride! Manual, SPASM, and the somewhat rare entry and drive. It just feels great when the doors unlock at the touch of the handle, and you just hop in and take off.

Love the Houndstooth, too. That is slick.

Do you have any other pics from the front? Trying to get a better big-picture look at the chrome bumper grilles.

Quick Reply: TL's Black 911 50