Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That blows. Start counting for lemon law purposes,
Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

As a side note, the new dash software update has changed the "fault of engine control system" warning. I believe that previously if the warning was in yellow it was still safe to drive. If the warning was in orange or was blinking then the car should not be operated. Now, it says something like "fault of engine control system ok to proceed driving"
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a yellow warning, you can keep driving based on my reading of the manual. Yeah, I read it when I first got the car. Anything red, you park and call the tow truck.

With that said, better safe than sorry, but I bet its not going to be anything major and will be covered by warranty.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
As a side note, the new dash software update has changed the "fault of engine control system" warning. I believe that previously if the warning was in yellow it was still safe to drive. If the warning was in orange or was blinking then the car should not be operated. Now, it says something like "fault of engine control system ok to proceed driving"
That sucks.

That new software update to the warning should really read "Fault of engine control system" "Still OK to autocross"

Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,713 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
That sucks.

That new software update to the warning should really read "Fault of engine control system" "Still OK to autocross"

Interesting.

I just got the new software update, and now my warning says:
Fault of Engine Control System
Still OK to Post on Rennlist
Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Got my car back today. They ran the codes and the cel registered as an evaporator leak. They tested for the leak and couldn't find one. They said I might have left my gas cap loose, but I'm pretty careful about securing it after each fill. We'll see how it goes.

While the car was there, they also replaced the covers on the door stays and some "switch element for the filler cap".
Old 07-02-2017, 10:56 AM
tkutz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's my turn. Just scheduled a service appointment with the dealer for tomorrow morning.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clearing Fault = Problem?

I own a 2013 C2S, and got the "Fault Engine Control..." info/warning on my multi-display, and yellow check-engine idiot light, the other day. After reading many posts, I decided to check my fuel cap, to be sure it was well seated. When I pressed on the oval pop-out panel to access the cap, it wouldn't press in far enough to unlatch the door. Found the circular tab inside the passenger door jamb, pulled on it, which popped open the door. I reset the fuel cap, making sure it fully seated, and made sure that the pop-out door worked again. It did.

My question is: If I clear the current fault flag in the ECU, can I count on the warning message reappearing if the mal-seated fuel cap turns out not to be the problem? And that if some other component of the emission or fuel system is the culprit, I'll be warned, as before?

I'd assume so. But I don't know how the monitoring system of the ECU behaves, and can't be sure. Thank you!

Last edited by tonosity; 07-24-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by tkutz
Looks like it's my turn. Just scheduled a service appointment with the dealer for tomorrow morning.
Post this in the GT3 forum. They have a lot of knowledge of what you may be in for.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Okay... So, I called the dealer to make sure if I cleared the fault code, and if the fuel cap was not the issue, that the fault would trip the sensor(s), and redisplay the "Fault Engine Control..." message. They said yes, to try it and see if it reappears. I'll drive it next two days, and see.

Here are a few snaps of the iCarSoft display, and screen messages, when I used it. I then cleared the fault.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me. Injector or something replaced under warranty and off I go. Nice not to have any engine/software mods when this happens. I only say that because.... you know,,, I want engine/software mods. Silver lining.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by tonosity
Okay... So, I called the dealer to make sure if I cleared the fault code, and if the fuel cap was not the issue, that the fault would trip the sensor(s), and redisplay the "Fault Engine Control..." message. They said yes, to try it and see if it reappears. I'll drive it next two days, and see.

Here are a few snaps of the iCarSoft display, and screen messages, when I used it. I then cleared the fault.

Good info here. Keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Thank you! Absolutely.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Okay, so, after clearing the fault code (i.e., DTC), reseating the fuel cap, and driving the car for two days, everything is fine. I've cancelled my appointment with my Porsche service department.

Hope this has helped someone. My take away is that the 911's systems are just very tightly monitored. Consequently, having an understanding of the fault coding system, and the code types, is important. That, and an iCarsoft (or equivalent) unit is a useful tool to own.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:47 AM
Getsmmr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this exact same issue and error code. After resetting the light, it would stay off for a few weeks and then comeback. Turned out to be a faulty evaporator control valve. My gas cap looked fine and was fine.

Originally Posted by tonosity
Okay, so, after clearing the fault code (i.e., DTC), reseating the fuel cap, and driving the car for two days, everything is fine. I've cancelled my appointment with my Porsche service department.

Hope this has helped someone. My take away is that the 911's systems are just very tightly monitored. Consequently, having an understanding of the fault coding system, and the code types, is important. That, and an iCarsoft (or equivalent) unit is a useful tool to own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Fault of engine control system"