Sponsored by:

Replacing the P-O-R-S-C-H-E emblem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 PM
LAPM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
I found a body shop that actually has the template for this as they work pretty much exclusively on Porsche.

Maybe there is a body shop relatively close that has one.

Good luck!
@SOCALSTEVE Which body shop would you be referring to that has this template? I'm also in the LA area and considering some emblem work on my Macan. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:42 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LAPM
@SOCALSTEVE Which body shop would you be referring to that has this template? I'm also in the LA area and considering some emblem work on my Macan. Thanks.
Collision Consultants in Culver City...on La Cienaga Ave...I think it's Culver City...they have such weird borders.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Old news perhaps but there's a YouTube video of the 911 production line and they do indeed use a template. Worth a watch.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 AM
artyartem
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by socalsteve
I found a body shop that actually has the template for this as they work pretty much exclusively on Porsche.

Maybe there is a body shop relatively close that has one.

Good luck!
I live in Los Angeles. Can I get the name of the body shop who has this?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the 911 Carerra S badge removed when I bought my 18 month old 991.2. In the sunlight you could still see the imprint or residue from the letters. Suspect they could have paint corrected better but I had them replace it with new badging the same at their cost. Albeit it came in 3 strip parts (911 + Carrera + S) but they didn't use a template cos it was just visible where the letters had been.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:43 AM
GTRR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Porsche Telplate

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm going to try out the black PORSCHE emblem from Suncoast for a while to see if I like it. My question is, how the heck am I going to get the proper spacing without a template? Suncoast's description says, "Each letter is independent, and can be positioned as needed." I understand it will be easy to tape of the boundaries to get the entire emblem lined up centered on the bumper, but how do get the proper spacing exact between each letter?
i bought an OEM Porsche logo from EBay. It came with a spacing template. However the template is not helpful when placing the logo on “straight” line across a curved surface.

I cut slats between each letter and then manually adjusted the template. On the letters P O R S C H E, I measure that the P-E were the same spacing from the edge of the rear wing... then make sure the O-H and R-C are equally spaced from the wing. The measure should increase towards the edges.

I placed painters tape on each letter of the template to make sure there is no movement. You will be able to tell by looking at the logo template whether you have aligned the letters straight across instead of curved along the body.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:58 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

GTRR, your badge is much too high up, and it needs the proprer curvature. See Drcollie's post here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1160...-e-emblem.html
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

use blue tape to make your own template if the original letters are still on the car. Overlay the tape and shade the lettering with a pencil, remove and cut out the letters, then reapply the tape (before you remove the OEM would be best) In my case, I was getting PPF done, so I had to reapply later. I made alignment marks on the tape to get it back in place. I used vinyl replacement letters for mine though.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

That's not going to help GTRR! Just start with the "S" in the center and work out. They are spaced the same as each letter's width and the "R" & "C" are the same distance down from the upper edge (a little higher than the "S", and the same goes for the "O" & "H" and "P" & "E", which will give you a smiley looking curve vice a frown, as LexVan said. You may be able to use your template if you raise your spoiler and break it into 3 sections: just the "S", "POR" & "CHE".
Old 11-06-2019, 09:51 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 676 Posts

I would imagine most Porsche Approved shops have the template. I am going to a body shop with one in a week to have it done. My OCD of getting it wrong would take any pleasure out of this mod.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I would imagine most Porsche Approved shops have the template. I am going to a body shop with one in a week to have it done. My OCD of getting it wrong would take any pleasure out of this mod.
They will have it and dealers will as well. And yes, I would do the same if starting with a bare ***. I changed mine but I did one letter at a time albeit I was still worried about getting it right since after you clean the area where the letter was there was very little ghosting, if any, so it was good that I used painters tape as a guide.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
They will have it and dealers will as well. And yes, I would do the same if starting with a bare ***. I changed mine but I did one letter at a time albeit I was still worried about getting it right since after you clean the area where the letter was there was very little ghosting, if any, so it was good that I used painters tape as a guide.
Surprisingly, some of the dealers in my area do NOT have the template. I think the challenge is that there are multiple templates (“Porsche” alone, “Porsche” with only “911” underneath, etc. - if it came with ONLY “Porsche”, it’s more centered top-to-bottom). I was told by a local (albeit smaller) dealer that they have the frame/rig but it’s impractical to carry all the templates since they are not inexpensive...Reeves seems to have them all (Tampa area). -Dom
Old 11-06-2019, 10:46 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

And when you buy the OEM letters, they come stringed together. At least they did for Carrera S from mine, which I removed but couldn't get rid of the 'ghosting' so had to buy a new set. The S was separate though.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Reeves is a really good place (where I bought my car) so I am not surprised. One can find out where Porsche-approved repair shops are online so call one in your area to make sure they have it, unless the dealer does. But keep in mind that the dealer can charge you to install emblems, which has happened to several people here.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter80
And when you buy the OEM letters, they come stringed together. At least they did for Carrera S from mine, which I removed but couldn't get rid of the 'ghosting' so had to buy a new set. The S was separate though.
The PORSCHE emblem will always come as individual letters.

Quick Reply: Replacing the P-O-R-S-C-H-E emblem.