Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   EVO Track Battle 991 C4S MT vs. 991 C2S PDK (both with powerkit!) (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/805802-evo-track-battle-991-c4s-mt-vs-991-c2s-pdk-both-with-powerkit.html)

Suzy991 03-19-2014 02:23 PM

EVO Track Battle 991 C4S MT vs. 991 C2S PDK (both with powerkit!)

Very interesting....

Suzy (via iOS app)

mb97tts 03-19-2014 03:09 PM

Very Cool, thanks for posting that....

I love my White C2S with Sport Design but I have to say that yellow with SD is stunning

LexVan 03-19-2014 03:30 PM

With the rain and wet track, no surprise here.

chuck911 03-19-2014 03:31 PM

The softer suspension on the C4S, which would be a disadvantage in the dry, is an advantage in the wet. Still, I doubt the standard suspension C2S would have fared much better. One comment he made about understeer really shows how far Porsche has taken awd development. Used to be the 4 was the car that plowed. Now its the other way around. Just as the once unassailable manual gearbox has been made an anachronism by PDK, so now all wheel drive is doing it to rear wheel drive.

Suzy991 03-19-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by chuck911 (Post 11226401)
The softer suspension on the C4S, which would be a disadvantage in the dry, is an advantage in the wet. Still, I doubt the standard suspension C2S would have fared much better. One comment he made about understeer really shows how far Porsche has taken awd development. Used to be the 4 was the car that plowed. Now its the other way around. Just as the once unassailable manual gearbox has been made an anachronism by PDK, so now all wheel drive is doing it to rear wheel drive.

I'm very curious for the video on dry. I think the C4S will still be faster, given the comments he makes.
IMHO, Porsche has tuned the AWD system in such a perfect way that it becomes an advantage instead of a disadvantage, both on track and public road.... No matter if it is wet or dry.

Suzy (via iOS app)

chuckbdc 03-19-2014 07:49 PM

I will go out on limb. In the dry the Sport suspension and lower weight will, and a driver of his obvious savvy, be faster. For the average drive, even.

BRING IT ON EVO: I could watch this stuff all day.

Thank you Suzy.

008 03-19-2014 08:04 PM

Would like to see it in the dry as well. He mentioned it was actually worse when he went out in the 2. I'd also like to see them test with the same gear box, he said he was frustrated with the PDK going down a gear, it'd be better if they were both PDK or both 7mt. Lastly, I'd like to see it without either car having PDCC. He said the 2 understeered more than the 4 but many journalists have complained that the PDCC causes this. When I compared them back to back on a short track I thought the same. Fun to watch none the less.

chuck911 03-19-2014 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy991 (Post 11226440)
I'm very curious for the video on dry. I think the C4S will still be faster, given the comments he makes.
IMHO, Porsche has tuned the AWD system in such a perfect way that it becomes an advantage instead of a disadvantage, both on track and public road.... No matter if it is wet or dry.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Totally agree. This was for a long time not the case, but times change. I first noticed this when comparing a CGTS with a C4S, that the GTS hopped around while the 4S was firmly planted. The surprise was how much better the 4S was at the things we have been led to believe a car like the GTS would be better at.

Someone mentioned the extra weight of the 4S. True, but PDK and rear-axle steering both add weight, yet Porsche uses them on the GT3 because the extra performance more than makes up for the extra weight. The performance gain with all wheel drive is in efficiency. Tires are not efficient transmitters of power, and the greater the power the greater the percentage of loss. Distributing part of 430 hp to the front tires in effect frees up a lot of power that in the rear wheel drive car is simply converted to heat by the tires.

Its gotten to the point where the disadvantages of the 4S are down to it costs a bit more, and you lose a bit of luggage space- and I am not even all that sure about the luggage space?!

jlanka 03-19-2014 10:14 PM

I can't wait to do that with my C4S. Kinda cool to see that it can drift (at least on wet roads) although in general I'm not into drifting.

BradB 03-19-2014 10:41 PM

I would enjoy these videos much more without all the induced drifting. Boy it sure gets old. You want better track times, stop sliding it around.

fl0950 03-20-2014 01:11 AM

^^^+1.

fester 03-20-2014 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by chuck911 (Post 11227369)

Its gotten to the point where the disadvantages of the 4S are down to it costs a bit more, and you lose a bit of luggage space- and I am not even all that sure about the luggage space?!

Not sure how much "usable" luggage space is sacrificed in 4/4S vs 2/2S. I've taken a road trip with my 2 kids and wife from Bay Area to LA in reasonable comfort with duffle bag and medium size suit case in frunk - I was amazed how much the frunk actually swallowed!!!

chuck911 03-20-2014 03:36 AM

I was right, you lose a bit of luggage space- but surprisingly, gain a gallon of gas!
http://www.porsche.com/all/comparemo...el3=&compTab=4

chuckbdc 03-20-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by BradB (Post 11227644)
I would enjoy these videos much more without all the induced drifting. Boy it sure gets old. You want better track times, stop sliding it around.

The driver mentioned that and made a point of nothooning on the timed laps.

docjohnM 03-20-2014 09:14 AM

What always gets me about these Evo and other european tests is that they spend 90% of the first lap sideways with a 45 degree slip angle.

Then, they are like...OK, now for a Hot-Lap done right!

gee...this thing is hard to drive.....

Bunch of idiots. Your rear tires are street tires and are well beyond the temp they should be. The differential temps are probably more stunning. Ice cold fronts and over-heated, greasy rears.

When I do my Quali's before a race, If I half spin or spin, I run an extra lap just to make sure the tires are all they should be. I am pretty sure that is just "Racing 101".....

Let's just get Randy Pobst out there and settle it!!