Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2015 TTS and a "sorry" would be appropriate IMHO. Just the PR would be justified.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 369 Likes on 223 Posts

Get rid of the car Nick no matter what! Even if it's fixed 100% I wouldn't keep it just for the nightmares it caused and for the fact you'd have to look at it every day.
Good luck and nothing but best wishes from us!
My biggest disappointment about this whole situation is that we might lose you as an extraordinary asset you've been to this community.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
deny deny deny

this is a nice reminder of the company we're dealing w/ (credit to Nizer for the link):

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...news/130919830

"Schoelzel's learned plenty since that gut punch, including that Porsche wants nothing to do with him and will not—cannot, they say—fix his car gratis. His problem, representatives say, lies outside the criteria of the class-action suit, and to fix it would violate the agreement."

In Porsche's defense; if they are to be believed; conceding to repair in this case would leave the company vulnerable to additional litigation from class action litigants. From a legal POV it would seem Schoelzel would have to sue individually.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi nick, i think you already did them the courtesy of a test drive after the fixes and the result was well documented. please don't step foot into that car.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
This would be true, were it not for the fact that Nick has been so patient and willing to work with them. Its easy to watch this and wonder why they haven't done more. But really, nobody I ever saw in sales is going to do anything unless you're asking for it. On the one hand its amazing what customers are able to get if they have even half a reason if they are adamant about it. But on the other its incredible what they'll be happy to let you put up with as long as they see you tolerating it. That's where Nick has been, tolerating. Until very recently anyway. So we will find out soon enough.
Very true. Although I can't understand why one of the most prestigious automative brands in history, with one of their uncontested flagships of all models, is allowing this to drag on like they are. Even if Nick is willing to be so outrageously nice about it (dude, you seem like a class act and its sickening that they are taking advantage of it for at this point zero gain on their part anymore) someone at corporate should be taking over and making this right.

This is argueably one of, if not the, most embarassing stains on the 991's reputation and the real issue here is penny pinching territorial company chain of command stuff thats working from the bottom up.

If I was an upper level Porsche exec, this would be resolved now. Full price towards any Porsche of your choice plus new one at invoice, options at cost, with you keeping any and all trunk money, free extended warranty, a steamer trunk full of Porsche SWAG, a round trip for two to the factory to watch it being built and dinner and an apology with the CEO with a few laps in a 918 thrown in for good will. Either that, or if youw anted out, a full and complete refund including any interest paid plus sales tax, tag and any other cost. And that dealership would be on probation with a very credible risk of losing the brand. Plus the car would be shipped back to the factory and totally and completely torn down and every single issue got to the bottom of and anything even potentially systemic in nature would result in a service bulletin or recall as appropriate.

Period.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Nick:

First of all, I haven’t read all of the posts here on your situation - they are extensive, which bodes well as to the support you are getting out here. If you already have an attorney, good for you. You can ignore much of this information.

I am a consumer rights attorney in San Diego, CA. While we don’t do lemon law, I do know consumer rights attorneys throughout the country. I contacted another well-respected and highly competent attorney I know in Connecticut (who also does not do Lemon Law,) and she gave me a few referrals of a Lemon Law attorneys in Connecticut that she recommends (who does do lemon law). I suggest you contact this individual. Most consumer rights attorneys work with laws that compensate them for their fees, so you should not need to be concerned about paying this attorney; under most lemon laws, the attorneys’ fees would be paid by Porsche. Even if you were never compensated, (but I believe you would be) having an attorney will get Porsche off the dime. In my opinion, you will be surprised at how fast this thing is resolved once Porsche hears from an attorney. (If you were in Southern California, I know people who would pounce on this faster than a duck on a june bug.)

Whatever you do, don’t retain an attorney that does not specialize in this area of law. You will get far better results from someone experienced in lemon law, if only because Porsche will recognize that attorney will maximize the recovery. I understand that you don’t want to punish the dealer, and perhaps you don’t need to do so, but your loyalty to your dealer should not be at the expense of your much deserved satisfaction. I am of the opinion that your loyalty here, while admirable, is misplaced - this issue needs to be resolved. People don’t buy Porsche’s for transportation; they buy them for the enjoyment of owning a reliable, high performance, sports car. Understandably, you don’t seem to be enjoying it that much. Be sure to hold onto that video.

As a fellow 911S Carrera owner (2013), I feel your pain, and agree with those who say you have been more than patient and reasonable. Considering the kind of money we all spend on these vehicles, we would all like to believe the delusion that they are perfect, but I guess that is asking too much. Still, you have experienced more than your fair share of problems and deserve a positive outcome. Good Luck….

Here are her recommendations:

Dan Blinn, at http://www.consumerlawgroup.com

Sergei Lemberg at http://lemberglaw.com

For those with similar issues, here is an organization of attorneys dedicated to consumer rights.

www.naca.net
Old 04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbull
"Schoelzel's learned plenty since that gut punch, including that Porsche wants nothing to do with him and will not—cannot, they say—fix his car gratis. His problem, representatives say, lies outside the criteria of the class-action suit, and to fix it would violate the agreement."

In Porsche's defense; if they are to be believed; conceding to repair in this case would leave the company vulnerable to additional litigation from class action litigants. From a legal POV it would seem Schoelzel would have to sue individually.
Nothing about the IMS debacle made any sense, either. Stepping up and doing the right thing would have left the company vulnerable to nothing at all but some happy, wealthy customers who like to buy new cars about every 12 minutes. Instead, they had to be dragged to court like a common street hustler.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Nothing about the IMS debacle made any sense, either. Stepping up and doing the right thing would have left the company vulnerable to nothing at all but some happy, wealthy customers who like to buy new cars about every 12 minutes. Instead, they had to be dragged to court like a common street hustler.
Exactly. And all to save some money hiding behind poor engineering/machining. That would be unsat from Yugo, let alone Porsche. You can't build the best by passing the buck and letting your customers eat your failures. Hiding behind the law to get away with as little as possible will come back to bite them hard. I love these cars, but the competition is catching up fast.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes there can be no doubt that what Porsche (either dealership or company) should have done by now is at least offer to replace this car. The March 29 breakdown video shows wires damaged in a way that can only result in greatly increased risk of breakdown, if not immediately then certainly eventually. But the odds of this only being the case after this most recent repair are slim to none. In other words, the dealer should have noticed and addressed it long ago. But because of the way these cars are designed doing that correctly would involve replacing pretty much the entire wiring harness system. Instead they obviously figured, out of sight out of mind.

Guys I know who have owned new 911's over many decades, pretty much all of them have noticed the tendency of Porsche to only provide great customer service when they need the business. At one time Euro Delivery saved more than enough money to pay for the entire 3 week vacation, and your car arrived with a bottle of champagne. Today Porsche is the world's most profitable car maker and you have to pay for ED, although they try to hide the fact, which if you think about it is a form of insult. The proportion of 911 owners doing significant track driving, as well as the level of driving itself, is easily far higher than any other car on the road today- or ever. So it shouldn't be too hard to understand why Porsche would take a harder look at warranty and replacement issues than say Toyota. But Nick's story, it simply dwarfs all that. No amount of explanation or perspective will ever make this understandable.

I still greatly admire Porsche- the cars, the company, the man and his family. I think they built Nick a car that needed maybe a little more than the usual amount of attention and work- which the dealer botched time and again. But whatever, it is their car, their brand, their reputation at stake. Not the dealership. Not with nearly 200,000 Porsche enthusiasts worldwide having seen this story play out on YouTube.

It is almost inconceivable that Nick not get a new car or refund, whichever he wants. "Almost" because of the suits. A sales manager is capable of doing pretty much anything that will make a customer happy. The suits are capable only of advising against all that. Its an awful fix and my heart goes out to you, Nick.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh for goodness sake Nick, I am two steps away from retaining counsel for you myself! And a week on South Beach.

Friend, you need to step up here. Nice is one thing but taking an unnecessary beating is another. Get over the nice guy mode and and get this handled PRO-ACTIVELY. No offense, but if you were married to my wife she'd be moving her mother in and having you give them foot massages-lol!

Get an attorney and finally send a demand letter. They are stringing you along. The reason they don't want a "lemon" back is because they can't resell it except at auction for pennies. No more talk. No more "trials" with the car. Denounce ownership and ask for specific resolution on a specificed date prior to your lemon law hearing. If you don't get compliance then proceed with lemon law and be done.

Stick with Porsche but buy from another dealer.

Frankly, I have owned many cars including just about every BMW there is that's worth owning. I am on my 3rd 991 since August (by choice-bad upgrade habit) and the two Porsche dealers here in Atlanta have demonstrated that they are HANDS-DOWN the least caring, short-minded automobile dealers that I have ever dealt with. BMW trounces them in customer care. No reason to uphold any loyalty or "saving hard feelings" for a business that has not held your concerns or SAFETY in any regard. I'll spare the stories but your thread reminded me that I suspect that my dealer apparently "stopped" (yes, they do this) my surveys from coming to me for my last 2 purchases. My TTS is at Ferrari right now getting the scratches removed that were graciously applied by Porsche's careless "brush 'em all with the same nasty brush" wash shop (this was not one of my issues-this happens) and when I pick it up today I will be stopping by Porsche to ask why I never got my surveys and asking for them to be sent, followed by an email to Porsche NA to be sure I get them. My dealer still continues to screw me. Took me for $140 last week after making $20K+ profit on my TTS cab.-lol! They don't get it.

Last edited by ColdList; 04-08-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
This is argueably one of, if not the, most embarassing stains on the 991's reputation and the real issue here is penny pinching territorial company chain of command stuff thats working from the bottom up.
I agree with the second part but think you are way off on the first part. I don't think this affects how the 991 is or will be viewed at all. Not even slightly. Nick got stuck with a lemon. That could happen with any car and clearly is not typical of 991s. How Porsche has handled it is obviously more than regrettable, but this story is not about the 991 iteration.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

The frustrating part for those of us waiting and hoping for a satisfactory resolution for Nick is that we most likely will never know the outcome, as NDA's are always demanded with these types of issues.

(I wonder if something along these lines would be allowable): or
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

'twould be interesting to check the ip logins to the site to see how many porsche domain names pop up that come to the thread...
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Ruf-Dan-Ruf
Racer

Originally Posted by rlhyde
Nick:

First of all, I haven’t read all of the posts here on your situation - they are extensive, which bodes well as to the support you are getting out here. If you already have an attorney, good for you. You can ignore much of this information.

I am a consumer rights attorney in San Diego, CA. While we don’t do lemon law, I do know consumer rights attorneys throughout the country. I contacted another well-respected and highly competent attorney I know in Connecticut (who also does not do Lemon Law,) and she gave me a few referrals of a Lemon Law attorneys in Connecticut that she recommends (who does do lemon law). I suggest you contact this individual. Most consumer rights attorneys work with laws that compensate them for their fees, so you should not need to be concerned about paying this attorney; under most lemon laws, the attorneys’ fees would be paid by Porsche. Even if you were never compensated, (but I believe you would be) having an attorney will get Porsche off the dime. In my opinion, you will be surprised at how fast this thing is resolved once Porsche hears from an attorney. (If you were in Southern California, I know people who would pounce on this faster than a duck on a june bug.)

Whatever you do, don’t retain an attorney that does not specialize in this area of law. You will get far better results from someone experienced in lemon law, if only because Porsche will recognize that attorney will maximize the recovery. I understand that you don’t want to punish the dealer, and perhaps you don’t need to do so, but your loyalty to your dealer should not be at the expense of your much deserved satisfaction. I am of the opinion that your loyalty here, while admirable, is misplaced - this issue needs to be resolved. People don’t buy Porsche’s for transportation; they buy them for the enjoyment of owning a reliable, high performance, sports car. Understandably, you don’t seem to be enjoying it that much. Be sure to hold onto that video.

As a fellow 911S Carrera owner (2013), I feel your pain, and agree with those who say you have been more than patient and reasonable. Considering the kind of money we all spend on these vehicles, we would all like to believe the delusion that they are perfect, but I guess that is asking too much. Still, you have experienced more than your fair share of problems and deserve a positive outcome. Good Luck….

Here are her recommendations:

Dan Blinn, at http://www.consumerlawgroup.com

Sergei Lemberg at http://lemberglaw.com

For those with similar issues, here is an organization of attorneys dedicated to consumer rights.

www.naca.net
You Sir are a good person. +1
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I agree with the second part but think you are way off on the first part. I don't think this affects how the 991 is or will be viewed at all. Not even slightly. Nick got stuck with a lemon. That could happen with any car and clearly is not typical of 991s. How Porsche has handled it is obviously more than regrettable, but this story is not about the 991 iteration.
i think you're correct...all caveats aside, i still confirmed my order a few days ago. it hasn't affected my perception towards the car but it has definitely shaped how i will deal with post-purchase issues

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling