Sponsored by:

911Idiot's C4S Journey - Keep out... Beware of Dog

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM
911Idiot
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Money2536
Blendmount's site is pretty confusing. Which one did you actually buy? It looks like the POR-002.
I purchased the POR-002. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this is the mirror that comes on all 991 equipped with auto dimming rear view mirror.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 PM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice install............but..

Adding electrical accessories to the Canbus is a very risky proposition. Should the affected circuit indicate to the ECU an over amperage condition, the circuit will be turned off. Each circuit "knows" the amperage range designed to operate the devices on that circuit. Exceeding that range will alert an error and shutdown.

That's why a remote electronic fuse block is so popular with the BMW motorbike guys. The trigger amperage is virtually nothing. I'm talking about a PDM60 (Google it) as I'm not familiar with any others.

This electrical system is just not like the old days when you could scab any old relay into any 12V circuit you wanted.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
911Idiot
Track Day

Suntek Clear Bra

Cost:
-1.5 Armed Bank Robberies

I'm not afraid to admit that the Asian is strong in me. Just like any other normal child I grew up in a house where the furniture was wrapped in plastic - sofas, dining table, and even my own comfy teddy bear Mittens - all wrapped in organic polymers of high molecular mass. Simply heaven!

The big moment for me, when I realized human life had changed for good, was learning that you could apply the same level of protection that I have on my sofa onto a car. When it came to finding a installer I choose Sean at www.ultimateshield.com. He has wrapped my GTR and the quality of his work is nothing but absolute perfection - especially since he uses a plotter to cut the films to the exact shape of the body panel being wrapped - this means he's not kindergartening it by tracing a pattern with a knife using your car as the template. Sean also provides an option to tuck the edges of the film underneath moldings and trim pieces which makes the film disappear - essentially making the film invisible.

Now what I really wanted to get to in my post is the whole Xpel vs Suntek debate. I have Xpel Ultimate on my GTR and the Suntek on my Porsche. Aside from the 20% price difference between the two brands - Xpel being the more expensive - they are both quality films. However, if I were to choose which one is better I'd say Suntek and here's why.

With Suntek it's EXTREMELY difficult to see the clear bra. With the film being so translucent the car looks like it was detailed by some divine deity like Jesus. I believe this is due to the film's properties - it stretches easily without compromising the film and is simple to apply. Unfortunately the Xpel does not look as nice on the GTR when compared to Suntek. Now the difference is not that big and it's really really hard to tell. Probably similar to how those people on TV can't tell the difference between Pepsi and Pepsi Max or even Fabio's I Can't Belive it's not Butter crap. But to me Xpel only gives the car a clean car wash plus quick detail wipedown look when it should really shine like a million suns - especially with the GTR's Super Silver billion stage paint process that they apply with 100 Japanese virgins.

I hypothesize the difference in clarity is due to the difference in thickness between the two films. Xpel Ultimate is 10.1 mils thick vs Suntek being about 8 mils which is probably why Xpel is 20% more expensive. Now it's safe to guess thicker is better when it comes to overall protection and it's very true when comparing the two films. In the areas most susceptible to damage (Front bumper and rear fenders) the suntek film shows pitting in the film whereas the Xpel does not. THe pitting is virtually unnoticeable from several inches away and invisible from a distance greater than 1 foot but it does bother me that it's there. In fact, it bothers me so much that I've ordered new OEM rear fender stone shields from SunCoast parts to install on top of the Suntek film for added protection.

So which is the best? Suntek - even tho I left out a some facts like 5 year warranty vs Xpel's 10 years I personally don't think it's worth it to pay an extra 20% to get Xpel - especially when Suntek also has a self healing film. I know clear bra's are not for everyone but for me it's comforting knowing that I can follow a caravan of gravel trucks on a dirt road while screaming Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

911:

Did these folks pull off the front and rear facias, interior door panels and any other necessary body panels for the install? If so, did that give you pause at first?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the excellent pics and write-up on the detector installation!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
911Idiot
Track Day

Originally Posted by ruhlich
911:

Did these folks pull off the front and rear facias, interior door panels and any other necessary body panels for the install? If so, did that give you pause at first?
They removed the door cards as well as the door handles to install the film. It didn't bother me because they have done quite a few 991 including the 991 GT3. Picking it up I noticed no new rattles or anything out of place.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 PM
BrandoU2
Intermediate

Thanks for the detail on your Mirror Tap install. It helped me a ton!!! Cheers!
Old 09-14-2014, 01:33 AM
balaclava
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Money2536
Blendmount's site is pretty confusing. Which one did you actually buy? It looks like the POR-002.
I can confirm that POR-002 is the one that works with the mirror of the 991.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:51 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Idiot
I'm not afraid to admit that the Asian is strong in me. Just like any other normal child I grew up in a house where the furniture was wrapped in plastic - sofas, dining table, and even my own comfy teddy bear Mittens - all wrapped in organic polymers of high molecular mass. Simply heaven! The big moment for me, when I realized human life had changed for good, was learning that you could apply the same level of protection that I have on my sofa onto a car...I know clear bra's are not for everyone but for me it's comforting knowing that I can follow a caravan of gravel trucks on a dirt road while screaming Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot.
I really enjoyed reading your post. Keep it up with the humor. We need more of it here at Rennlist!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 PM
accce
7th Gear

Just tried it. I got everything apart but I could not find the connectors to tap into. I put it all back together and may try to tap into the fuse box.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a self contained unit or do you need to hard wire sensors in the front grill area?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Jeffery
Cruisin'

911Idiot - Thanks for great write-up and pics.

Did the install on my 991 this weekend and it was a success!

Couple of notes in case helpful for others based on how it went for me:

- removing first trim piece: I was not able to do this by hand. Made some marks on plastic trying to gently use butter knife. Ended up buying trim / molding removal kit from local auto store. Cost $14. Worked and also helped with other parts of this install.

- I've got a 2012 c2s cab - instead of a B1 bomber looking piece, mine was a silver-colored metal rectangular piece. Same removal process is 911Idiot's write up.

- in the step (and picture) where there is a blue and yellow plug, my plugs were all yellow - no blue. My wires had same colors.

- I purchased same length install wire as recommended (12" I think) but must have used the zip ties tied too generously - after getting everything back together I didn't have enough cord to reach the radar detector plug receptacle. I ended up dropping the cord out of the first trim piece at a different location closer to the detector - not out of the little existing slit where 911Idiot did.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the power tap only available if you have the mirror dimming option?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Just placed my order.

bye bye suction cups

If anyone wants a discount on the blendmount please click here.

http://go.referralcandy.com/share/ZRKXPGL

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 02-17-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:54 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Installed

It's a nice piece of kit for the money. Very well made.

Quick Reply: 911Idiot's C4S Journey - Keep out... Beware of Dog