Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Gotta have that car I cannot afford...lol

A record number of Americans are 90 days behind on their car payments
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercel
Leasing is SMART. As J Paul Getty said, one should BUY assets that appreciate and LEASE assets that depreciate. Too, the factory guarantees the value of your car after the lease term. You don't get that with a purchase or finance. If the residual is less than FMV, you purchase. If FMV is less than the residual, you walk.
^ Agreed.

Leasing as a company car also sweetens the deal if that's available to you, as does a chance to buy a car you ordered and/or have known since new with CPO is attractive to me also.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
Cash, always cash. I am EXTREMELY debt averse.
this is me. I despise owing anything to anyone.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
I would not pay cash for something I can finance at a lower rate than what I can get out of investing that money.

It just makes no sense paying $100K+ cash when I can finance it at 1.74%, and at the same time I can put that money in a CD at 2.4%. And that is JUST a CD. Investing in a good fund would yield way more than that.

Heck, if I can buy something that has a 0% for any number of months, I take that every time, knowing that I would have the cash at the end of the term to pay it off and then some extra from interest.
where can you get 1.7% on a car loan?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go

where can you get 1.7% on a car loan?
i was wondering the same.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Shap96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can beat that, I got .75% on a car loan for part of my GTS (only reason I financed. I was planning on paying with all cash until I found this rate). I would have financed the whole thing for that rate if the credit union would have let me. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:07 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
Where are people getting these rates of 1.74% on a purchase of $100K and more? I have a credit score in the 800's, little debt, no credit card debt and I get mailers for credit card companies gloating about an interest rate of 10%? Of course I laugh at it while I'm ripping it up. But I can't imagine that a standard car loan would be less than 4% in today's market. But I guess that I would not know.
The 1.74% was a PenFed rate available a year or so ago on a 3 yr payment saver loan. It was a terrific deal. It is about 3% now.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:40 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
The 1.74% was a PenFed rate available a year or so ago on a 3 yr payment saver loan. It was a terrific deal. It is about 3% now.
i looked a few days ago, and on a new car, or within 12 months of new car purchase, PenFed is still offering 2.49% on a 3 year auto loan 😊 and 1.49% of if you use their new car buying service 😒
Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Leased to owned my 991.1 GTS. It was my "company car" and a tax write-off. I am going to write a check and buy my GT3T. I see advantages and disadvantages to both leasing and buying. For the GT3T, I know am keeping the car forever so I figured why not just buy it and be done with it? It will be nice not paying about $3,000 a month every month for three years - only to have a $100,000+ residual to pay off at the end of the lease if I want to buy the car. For my $140,000 sticker GTS, I paid $2,100 a month for 36 months, 5k down and I still had about $90k left to buy the car outright when I purchased the car last October.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:57 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
I would not pay cash for something I can finance at a lower rate than what I can get out of investing that money.

It just makes no sense paying $100K+ cash when I can finance it at 1.74%, and at the same time I can put that money in a CD at 2.4%. And that is JUST a CD. Investing in a good fund would yield way more than that.

Heck, if I can buy something that has a 0% for any number of months, I take that every time, knowing that I would have the cash at the end of the term to pay it off and then some extra from interest.
Same here. I can easily pay cash for a 911 and would do so if the loan interest was greater than my investment return percentage .....but it’s not. My money will stay where it benefits me the most. Anyone that has over $100k making less than they can borrow money for should fire their current investment advisor....or get one if they don’t. With that said, I always put down a decent down payment since I prefer low monthly payments of $700 or less and keep the rest in the bank.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:17 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

Same here. I can easily pay cash for a 911 and would do so if the loan interest was greater than my investment return percentage .....but it’s not. My money will stay where it benefits me the most. Anyone that has over $100k making less than they can borrow money for should fire their current investment advisor....or get one if they don’t. With that said, I always put down a decent down payment since I prefer low monthly payments of $700 or less and keep the rest in the bank.
You're talking from both sides of our mouth. First you say borrow because you can make more interest with your money. Then you say you like to make a large down payment because you like small payment. Foolish. Did you add in the rate your "advisor" changes to the cost of that money, did you add in taxes?

Do you count the Porsche as an asset? Is it added into your net worth? Do you hope to make money on it? Is it an investment. NO!. Its a car, it depreciates, every day, every mile. Every time I see a car in someone's net worth its way over valued. It's a Toy!

There are people that have been taught their entre life to borrow every penny they can. Use other peoples money. Good luck with that.

Everyone beats the market, everyone makes more then the interest rate, How did that work out in 08? 99, 83...

This thread has turned into a questions of "can you afford a Porsche". Whether you take a loan or pay cash does not indicate if you can afford it. People should be asking what's your net worth when you purchased a Porsche. My guess is there are a lot of people that can't afford the cars they buy.

People reading this thread should not get their financial advise from Porsche owners.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
You're talking from both sides of our mouth. First you say borrow because you can make more interest with your money. Then you say you like to make a large down payment because you like small payment. Foolish. Did you add in the rate your "advisor" changes to the cost of that money, did you add in taxes?

Do you count the Porsche as an asset? Is it added into your net worth? Do you hope to make money on it? Is it an investment. NO!. Its a car, it depreciates, every day, every mile. Every time I see a car in someone's net worth its way over valued. It's a Toy!

There are people that have been taught their entre life to borrow every penny they can. Use other peoples money. Good luck with that.

Everyone beats the market, everyone makes more then the interest rate, How did that work out in 08? 99, 83...

This thread has turned into a questions of "can you afford a Porsche". Whether you take a loan or pay cash does not indicate if you can afford it. People should be asking what's your net worth when you purchased a Porsche. My guess is there are a lot of people that can't afford the cars they buy.

People reading this thread should not get their financial advise from Porsche owners.
Your points are well taken. Perhaps I should say I have more of a two prong approach. That being, 1). I don’t want to take more money than I need to out of investments, yet 2) I don’t want a high car payment. As you say cars are a depreciating hunk of metal. The only thing that makes me feel better with those small annual losses is the depreciation and operational costs I have on my SeaRay cruiser. While a lot of people choose to pay for their cars up front, there are also many that simply choose not too. The right choice can vary from buyer to buyer. I would also agree their probably are those that it’s more of a stretch for than others.....but wealth is very relative. We would be considered rich in our small Missouri rural community where as we consider ourselves comfortable. I am sure that applies to many on this forum.

Last edited by Dr. Ice; 03-09-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:47 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

cash
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

This is the approach I take as well. If the rate + depreciation is lower than I can make on my investments, then borrow the money and take home the float. Have been doing it for 20 years successfully (though I usually buy CPO demonstrator cars with very low mileage - the 911T was my first new Porsche). I tend to also want to keep payments down, so I usually end up with a large down payment.

I've learned over the years that there is another advantage to having a loan - if you have to lemon a car, having a lien holder on your side can help the process as they don't want the asset any more than you do.

cheers!
Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 PM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
This is the approach I take as well. If the rate + depreciation is lower than I can make on my investments, then borrow the money and take home the float. Have been doing it for 20 years successfully (though I usually buy CPO demonstrator cars with very low mileage - the 911T was my first new Porsche). I tend to also want to keep payments down, so I usually end up with a large down payment.

I've learned over the years that there is another advantage to having a loan - if you have to lemon a car, having a lien holder on your side can help the process as they don't want the asset any more than you do.

cheers!
LOL, You want the float, but you want a low payment? Which is it? If you making money on the float, why do you care about a payment? Everyone loves to lie to themselves. The car is always worth more then it is, they always make more money in the market then the cost of a loan. People also do bad math, they say I make 5%, the loan cost 3%, I make 2% on my $100K every year.... Wrong, first the amount you are making a float on every month decreases. Second you pay taxes on your investment return. While the last 10 years has been great, 08 sucked, 99 sucked, 83 sucked. Most people pay someone to manage their money (which is another topic). And they pay way to much for the person to manage their money. Take all of the cost into consideration and see if you are really making money from the float. Let me point out the obvious - Banks make money lending money. If you can get the money at 3%, the bank is paying someone 2.5% for the money to lend to you.

If you make money on the float you should take every penny you can in a loan. But you don't, you say you don't want a big payment? But you make money on this money, the payment is already covered and then some (the float).

As I stated earlier, it all comes down to net worth, if ask, what can I cash flow or what's my net worth. People love to see a high bank account. So If I pull $100K out of my account, it might not look as good, but it looks great if I have a $100K and a Porsche. They like to just ignore the loan. It's being cashed flowed with my pay check, keep the payments low.

I'll say it, those who pay cash are on the road to financial freedom (or already there).

Quick Reply: did you pay Cash Finance or Lease