Sponsored by:

Bose vs Burmeister

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:13 PM
ACdeA
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bose vs Burmeister

Is there anyone out there that can confirm that the Burmeister is worth the extra casheesh? It's more then twice the price, right?
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ACdeA
Is there anyone out there that can confirm that the Burmeister is worth the extra casheesh? It's more then twice the price, right?
I don't know about the Burmeister, but the Burmester sounds pretty good, but I would not pay the extra cash for it in a relatively loud car like a 911.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really wanted the Burmester but car came with Bose and I think its very ordinary. I would have been disappointed even if it was on a car half the price. I am not an audiophile persay but do know a good system from a bad system. Bose is not bad, just too damn ordinary but perhaps disappointing in a car of this caliber. Get the Burmester if you have good ears for a good sound.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 PM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it in a 2013 Cayenne GTS and loved it. I originally heard it in a 991 911S and, personally, would never order any Porsche without one. I think it boils down to what you enjoy and your preferences. I like sound, whether exhaust from the engine, or music from the stereo. And the 911 cabin just seems to be set up well for the Burmester. I ordered it on my GTS build.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

After spending 4 1/2 hours driving to Zion NP this afternoon the Bose system is simply painful to listen to. Music or news. If I were ordering a new car I would have to order the Burmester.
I don't understand how an upgraded system can be so bad. My Cayman S had the Bose sytem and sounded fine. I'm going to look into replacement speakers next spring. Buy the Burmester.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 PM
WBimmer
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

A week ago I auditioned the base system, the Bose system and the Bermester while I was putting my list together of options for my C4GTS build.

The base system sounded better than I expected and was okay and good considering there was no additional cost.

The Bose system is noticeably better than the base. The biggest difference was in the bottom end or the bass that it produced and it seemed an okay choice.

Then I got to listen to the Bermester and it was on a whole different level. The highs and mids where very detailed and the bass was immense, tight and controlled.

For me it was a no-brainer that I had to have the Bermester as the other two were like listening to clock radio's by comparison.

You can try the route I went and I negotiated that the Bermester get thrown in for free to the build and they agreed.

Good luck with your decision.

Wayne.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:24 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

if you are ready to spend the money on Bose why not spend a bit more on the Burmester? My suggestion is Base or Burmester.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:29 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bose and I, like many who have posted before, have been disappointed. Coming from a 5 series with an upgraded radio, the audio experience in the 991 is terrible (radio - the audio experience from the engine is extraordinary!). I have played with the controls and changed the settings more times than I can count, and I can never get it right. If you have the $ and opportunity to go Burmester, do it!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 PM
ACdeA
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all. Too late for me unfortunately, as my car is built (with the Bose). The car was supposed to go into production on Oct 31. Early October I asked the sales guy at what point could I make last additions/subtraction to my order. He never answered. I was traveling in South America. I emailed again. No answer. I got back home ten days later and called the guy. Turns out the car was built early so I missed my chance for the Burmeister. Way back when I asked the sales guy about it and he told me it wasn't worth the money. All the cars at the dealership had Bose. Ugh. Oh well. I had the Bose in my 997 4S and I thought it was average, at best. Hope to have my '15 Targa 4S at the end of next week. Ship docks tonight in Brunswick!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

No worries...just turn off the radio and listen to the music from the engine!

Thanks to all. Too late for me unfortunately, as my car is built (with the Bose). The car was supposed to go into production on Oct 31. Early October I asked the sales guy at what point could I make last additions/subtraction to my order. He never answered. I was traveling in South America. I emailed again. No answer. I got back home ten days later and called the guy. Turns out the car was built early so I missed my chance for the Burmeister. Way back when I asked the sales guy about it and he told me it wasn't worth the money. All the cars at the dealership had Bose. Ugh. Oh well. I had the Nose in my 997 4S and I thought it was average, at best.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 PM
zelig
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Night and day. Worth the extra bucks. Crank it up and the 911 experience goes to the next level. My two cents.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it. The car makes plenty of fun noises.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:53 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The Burmester is worth the extra money. I firmly believe, though, that the Bose is actually pretty darn good, just fiddle with the settings. I do not agree that the Bose is bad as some are saying. It was honestly the best I had heard until Burmester.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

If you like to park the car and listen to the stereo, buy the Burmester.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:37 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I think the Burmeister is pretty disappointing for you pay for it.

In the Carrera, I'd much prefer listening to the engine.

Now if we're talking a TT/TTS, then it's pretty much a necessity. No one really wants to listen to that hissing sound all day long as you go from 0-60 in three seconds.

Quick Reply: Bose vs Burmeister