Sponsored by:

Best non yellowing clear bra on a white car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Best non yellowing clear bra on a white car

What do folks recommend for a "non yellowing" clear bra?
It would be going on a white 991...

Thanks for any and all tips and pointers!!

Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Spathiinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a white 991S Cab with full ClearGuardX from Premier, so far so good after almost a year. This is a DD that parks outside in the California sun every weekday (garaged at home). That said, the guys who did the install warned me that pretty much every film will yellow, but you can mitigate this with proper care. This means washing and waxing on a very regular basis to keep all the pollutants off the surface, which is what causes much of the yellowing damage (or so I've been told). I use PF1 film cleaner and PF1 Crystalline for every wash... which does add up to a bit of cash, but it's worth it.

When I first got the clearbra, it didn't take long for bug guts and bird poop to make their mark... I was initially very sad that there seamed to be a discoloration even after washing (sometimes very noticeable). However, these have all bleached away after a day or two in the sun.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Spathiinc
I have a white 991S Cab with full ClearGuardX from Premier, so far so good after almost a year. This is a DD that parks outside in the California sun every weekday (garaged at home). That said, the guys who did the install warned me that pretty much every film will yellow, but you can mitigate this with proper care. This means washing and waxing on a very regular basis to keep all the pollutants off the surface, which is what causes much of the yellowing damage (or so I've been told). I use PF1 film cleaner and PF1 Crystalline for every wash... which does add up to a bit of cash, but it's worth it.
^ Your installer is absolutely bang on. All clear bras are made of polyurethane, which is a photosensitive material. All clear bras will yellow at some point, but the better you take car of them, the longer it will take for them to yellow. Keep your clear bra clean and seal/wax it like you would an unprotected car, and you'll get maximum life out of your clear bra.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Good info, thanks guys!!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Guys, it's the adhesive that yellows over time. Same problem I encountered for years working in the pharmaceutical sector and designing clear labels for bottles and glass vials. But with modern films they have pretty much engineered this problem out of the 3M and Expel products.

I'm looking to do a full front Clear Bra to my new 991 as well. So I've been doing a bit of research.

The problem I have is I have the Aerokit Cup on mine and 3M doesn't make precuts for this option. So I'll have to pay more to have it custom cut to protect the lower lip.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 133 Posts

Who makes the best pre-cut ClearBra kits? I'm looking for a full front - hood, fenders, nose, A pillars, mirrors - kit for my 997.1 GT3.

Thx
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Cannot avoid the yellowing but you can delay the damaging effects of the sun and age with proper care. You will likely need to replace in 5 years (or less).

Quick Reply: Best non yellowing clear bra on a white car