Sponsored by:

Remote start for 991 PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 PM
porschebetta
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start for 991 PDK?

Does anyone have remote start for their 991 w/PDK? Is it available and if so what is the typical cost for installation? I have found conflicting information online regarding its availability. Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 AM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

I've never heard of such a 991 option, through the Porsche factory anyway - but of course I could have missed it with the 100 page long option list
Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Sask997
Advanced

These are very popular in the prairies. However, I do not know of a German automobile manufacturer that offers them directly from the factory. In fact, installing one often voids the warranty. The only European manufacturer [partly Chinese now] is Volvo that does offer such a system. it works very well but has a short range.

I suspect you will not be able to find a Porsche authorized remote start system.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No Porsche option. I strongly advise against aftermarket unless you enjoy electrical problems.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the benefits of remote start?
It's not common here in Europe. I actually don't know any car that's available with it over here.

The only benefit that I could think of is that the engine can get warmed up. Over here, there are pre-heating devices (Not sure if it is called like that in English) that also can be used to cool the car in summer. I have it on my Audi and I love it! At first I never saw the point of it, but since my car was equipped with it I started to appreciate it a lot.
In winter I never need to scratch ice from the windows and in summer the car is cool when I get in it. Of course it also warms up the engine fluids, so it makes the car actually slightly more fuel efficient.
It can be programmed and switched on/off remotely controlled by the key or via my iPhone. Works perfect!

Porsche offers it on the Cayenne, Panamera and Macan. I just checked, but they don't offer it in the U.S. for some unknown reason....

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Remote start is common on diesel vehicles. I have it on my GMC Sierra 3/4 ton pickup (my tow rig). I love it for all the reasons that Suzy cites.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Remote start is common on diesel vehicles. I have it on my GMC Sierra 3/4 ton pickup (my tow rig). I love it for all the reasons that Suzy cites.
Mmm... Okay... So if I understand correctly it is in fact the same kind of system I mentioned, with the difference, that "remore start" also starts the engine?

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Mmm... Okay... So if I understand correctly it is in fact the same kind of system I mentioned, with the difference, that "remore start" also starts the engine?

Suzy (via iOS app)

Yep. it starts the engine. They're very common here. Most vehicles, that I know of anyway, come with them from the factory.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mi650
Yep. it starts the engine. They're very common here. Most vehicles, that I know of anyway, come with them from the factory.
Over here it's mostly a pretty expensive option if it is available. Only brands like Audi, BMW, Mercedes offer it on the more expensive cars. Not even on all cars within a model range. Mostly only on 6 or more cilinder cars. I think on my Audi it was a $2800 option, but it was already equipped, so I had no choice haha. Now I'm glad I have it.

However, this system doesn't start the engine. Instead it uses is an extra battery to warm the engine fluids and the interior or start the aircoditioning to cool the interior in summer. It works via the MMI system and can be operated via the keyfob or iPhone. Just set a required temperature and the time you want the car to be at that temperature and that's it. Every morning at 8, my car is 22 degrees celsius inside Too bad I sleep till 9.... LOL!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Suzy. Never heard off remote start over here, don't know anybody or any car that has it :-)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it on my 2012 991C2S - I hand the keys to my wife, she gets in the car and when I wave from the window the car starts.

It was a no-cost option probably only available here in the yet-to-be-liberated south of England.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Over here it's mostly a pretty expensive option if it is available. Only brands like Audi, BMW, Mercedes offer it on the more expensive cars. Not even on all cars within a model range. Mostly only on 6 or more cilinder cars. I think on my Audi it was a $2800 option, but it was already equipped, so I had no choice haha. Now I'm glad I have it.

However, this system doesn't start the engine. Instead it uses is an extra battery to warm the engine fluids and the interior or start the aircoditioning to cool the interior in summer. It works via the MMI system and can be operated via the keyfob or iPhone. Just set a required temperature and the time you want the car to be at that temperature and that's it. Every morning at 8, my car is 22 degrees celsius inside Too bad I sleep till 9.... LOL!

Suzy (via iOS app)

Yikes!!! They're advertised here for $99 installed for aftermarket, but usually it's closer to $200.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

VERY common in the US. I'm very accustomed to it, especially in ski country
Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very common for any car or Porsches? Cold up here as well and I have seen automatic starters on many cars........but never in a 911. Available from many brands but I'd still stay away from aftermarket. If you do go aftermarket ask them how many late model 911's they have done. I'll bet it's zero. DON'T be the first!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mi650
Yikes!!! They're advertised here for $99 installed for aftermarket, but usually it's closer to $200.
Here you can get them a lot cheaper too (although not that cheap. Mostly around $1200), but those aftermarket systems don't work as well as the factory installed systems, which are intergrated in the multimedia system/nerve-centre of the car.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Quick Reply: Remote start for 991 PDK?