Sponsored by:

Light optioned 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:15 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
You bring up some great points. I find that some people are much more sensitive to seating position and comfort than maybe I am. Some years ago, my business partner bought a Honda Accord for his wife on my recommendation. He hated the seats so much that he got rid of the car. He still won't let me off the hook on my recommendation. I thought he was crazy. The seats were fine in my wife's Accord EX.
My (back and neck) muscles tend to spasm when the seat isn't exactly perfect for me. That's why it was horror for me in the manual sportseats. I literally had to get out of the car for duration 5-10 minutes, to stretch and relax for about every 30 minutes of driving.
Offcourse, if you do not tend to cramp up like I do, the manual seats might be just fine. Allthough you still might loose that extra bit of connection to the car and chassis.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
This is an awful post ! Thanks for insulting me and my C2 !
Folks on this thread are way too sensitive. Internet forums exist for us to share opinions. I shared mine.

Must have struck close to the truth of the matter to get several people so riled up.

For the record, I never said that a base Porsche 911 was bad car. It's a wonderful car and is better than the vast majority of automobiles on the road today.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:48 AM
amdave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would argue your opinion is exactly whar Porsche marketing is trying to create. They push "S" cars to make more money pure and simple and seem to be very successful at it. Like how all reviews etc seem to always be the "S" versions etc. Even though the base 911 is a killer car they have a lot of interest in devaluing it a bit in the eyes of consumers imo.

The guy who will buy the base 911 w few options despite being able to afford more is no friend of Porsche lol. Especially when that car will likely afford 95% of the performance and driving pleasure of the higher trims.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Re: awful post

Short sighted too. It would seem the gentleman, who clearly insulted you, also may not understand that a base 991 handles very differently in a turn or on a twisty road than a Boxster or an SUV and that alone may be a good reason for pursuing your purchase. Don't let the man keep you down.

A base 911 exists for more than showing off just as any Porsche does. You could also delete the badge and save weight. lol

Last edited by holminator; 11-29-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: iPad foolishness
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

While options are cool, to answer the OP's question of min config and "still be satisfied" well hey, its a 991, and 991's are IMO the best sports car on the planet (yeah, I said it).

So I'd want:

*Any interior color other than "Yachting Blue" (I'd reluctantly accept blue with silver exterior I guess, if I had to).

*Strongly prefer the Bose (or Burm) but could live with stock.

*Any exterior color except Yellow or something really stupid like Mary Kay pink, etc.

*Non painted wheels ("factory" alloy is so much better to me).

*Heated Seats/Steering wheel would be strongly preferred, but I'd love the car without them.

That's pretty much it. Yeah, there's several other options I would (and did) spring for if I had the choice. But I'd be perfectly happy with a "stripped" 991 (which even without a single option still comes very, very nicely equipped).
Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amdave
I would argue your opinion is exactly whar Porsche marketing is trying to create. They push "S" cars to make more money pure and simple and seem to be very successful at it. Like how all reviews etc seem to always be the "S" versions etc. Even though the base 911 is a killer car they have a lot of interest in devaluing it a bit in the eyes of consumers imo.

The guy who will buy the base 911 w few options despite being able to afford more is no friend of Porsche lol. Especially when that car will likely afford 95% of the performance and driving pleasure of the higher trims.
Over all I think that's a fair post. I would have been VERY happy with a base 991 or Cayman S (base Cayman, OTOH, just doesn't cut it for me). I was build/config-ing a new Cayman S or base 991 when I stumbled on a very nicely priced CPO 991 S that was priced on par with most identically equipped base 991's so I went with that instead.

Its worthwhile to put the S in context though. It isn't just the engine/power. The S package is pretty significant (well, except for the Macan ) The brakes, suspension, torque vectoring and other little throw ins comprise a substantial package. But that in no way should denegrate a base 991. I would be VERY happy with a base Carrera without one single option (if I had to).

I agree 100% that the base 991 is an awesome car and highly underrated even among its over all P-Car fan base.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amdave
Just for kicks, what is the lightest you could option a new 911 and still be satisfied??

For me I'd say -

Base carrera cabrio
PDK
Sport chrono
Vent seats
Sport steering wheel

Still well above 100k lol
The lightest???

Carrera S <- that will do all on it's own… no extras, no metallic paint.

More practically, to get the best out of your car and save a lot of money:

Carrera S, PDK, Sports Chrono, Sports Steering Wheel, non-Porsche floor mats.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My list of musts is smaller than most: Carrera, 7MT, prem pack with 14 way seats (includes Bose, auto wipers and mirrors) because I like a few luxuries that aren't included as standard. Stuff on my lot car I could live without include parking sensors front and rear, folding mirrors, power steering plus, and sunroof.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

N/C White, 7MT & smoking pkg - $85,295....................done.

Oh...........shouldn't have a problem with 7% discount off a '14, so the car can be had, before taxes, for under $80gs.

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 12-02-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Addition of discount.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM
tifosi360
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, how large group of people rave about the 3.4 in the Cayman S, but when the same engine is in the Carrera, suddenly the 3.4 is a dog. But who cares, if you drive any Porsche, you are lucky!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

And... threads like these are why I don't post here much. You all really do a wonderful job of alienating other 911 owners!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tifosi360
Funny, how large group of people rave about the 3.4 in the Cayman S, but when the same engine is in the Carrera, suddenly the 3.4 is a dog. But who cares, if you drive any Porsche, you are lucky!
LOL exactly!

Not to mention the 991 gets 25 more horsepower and numerous other upgrades. Yeah the 981C weighs less, and that is definately cool. Its *more* mid engined than a 991, but the difference is hardly massive and what the 991 loses in Tokyo driftability or whatever, it gains in traction.

The 981C is a great car, and its fanboys don't bother me at all. But when anyone makes the exact same engine praise/criticism for the 981C/991 that you pointed out, I have to laugh out loud.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
LOL exactly! Not to mention the 991 gets 25 more horsepower and numerous other upgrades. Yeah the 981C weighs less, and that is definately cool. Its *more* mid engined than a 991, but the difference is hardly massive and what the 991 loses in Tokyo driftability or whatever, it gains in traction. The 981C is a great car, and its fanboys don't bother me at all. But when anyone makes the exact same engine praise/criticism for the 981C/991 that you pointed out, I have to laugh out loud.
It's not that a base 991 has a bad engine... The problem IMO is that it has not much advantages compared to the much cheaper Cayman S. If one can get over the fact it's not a 911 (which is not that easy... I know all about it. The 911 simply is THE Porsche), than the Cayman S (or Boxster S) is a superb alternative for less money.
I personally would never ever buy a base 991 (also never a base 981 BTW...), I would always go for an S-version.

Of course this is all a matter of personal preference, but I think both base versions of the 981 and 991 shouldn't exist at all... The S-versions should be the base versions (for base price of course).

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Suzy, I had a 987 Cayman S and loved it. I now own a 991 Carrera who's most important (to me) feature as a lot car was its manual transmission, no S models were around then with 7MT.
The 981 Cayman doesn't have a factory roof rack. That's enough reason for me to prefer the 991, but I also feel the "airiness" of the cabin and the vestigial backseat makes it more practical. I'm not trying to impress anyone, it's my only car and I needed those things.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Suzy, I had a 987 Cayman S and loved it. I now own a 991 Carrera who's most important (to me) feature as a lot car was its manual transmission, no S models were around then with 7MT. The 981 Cayman doesn't have a factory roof rack. That's enough reason for me to prefer the 991, but I also feel the "airiness" of the cabin and the vestigial backseat makes it more practical. I'm not trying to impress anyone, it's my only car and I needed those things.
That's why I stated that it is mostly a personal thing. For a daily driver, I would always prefer a 991, because of the backseats and the more roomy interior, just like you say. The main thing why I personally don't like the base versions is that the base 991 is too close to a Cayman S (performancewise) and the base 981 feels just sluggish. It's a sporstcar and it shouldn't feel sluggish IMO. My SUV feels faster than a base 981 Boxster... That's a bad thing IMO.

That said... I just came back from 4 weeks USA and in the first week we rented a base 991 cab and we had a great time with that car, driving it around in Southern California, but the strange thing is that it also made me appreciate my own Boxster S more and if I had to do it again I would have rented a Boxster S.
Never ever could imagine that I would say that.... The Boxster just feels like it is way more fun to drive, despite the same engine and less hp.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Quick Reply: Light optioned 911