Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would you get and why??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Only reason I did not go Turbo Cab is no MT, I have a C4S cab MT on order as a result. I agree the price differential is worth it over a high spec C4S to go base turbo. My $0.02.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's tough making recommendations for other owners. The C2S and the Turbo are such different cars.

The C2S is the narrowest body. To me without the aerokit or the sport design package the C2S is a very understated car, purchased in a low key color it could almost go un-noticed in a crowd. The C2S delivers power with RPM so you'll need to let it rev to get to the power band.

The Turbo is the widest body. The 991 turbo is a bit less over the top than previous generations, the active aero stows away and gives the car a more normal appearance similar to the C2 and C4 cars. Purchased in a color that contrasts the intake vents starts to create a departure from the rest of the 911 lineup. The Turbo is going to deliver a lot more punch across the RPM range - the torque is going to be noticably different when you hammer the accelerator. The Turbo includes the rear wheel steering system like the GT3, but with even more steering angle - the Turbo should feel very agile at low speed and stable at high speed, likely just a little better than the C2S.

To the OP - what's the primary use of the car? Daily driver? Weekend toy? Also what type of cars have you owned and enjoyed previously?

Ryan
Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM
amdave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt I would track much, maybe a few times. Mostly long commute and driving around time.

Of course spirited driving also w the kiddos in the back.

I'm not one to switch cars often. I tend to keep em a long time, making the turbo more appealing.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

I opted for heavily optioned C4S because:

1. Hate turbo lag.
2. Always have issues if I don't exactly get everything I need on a car and turbo/tts with all options I want would've been beyond my budget.
3. IMO C4/C4S looks the sexiest of all variants!

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by amdave
Doubt I would track much, maybe a few times. Mostly long commute and driving around time.

Of course spirited driving also w the kiddos in the back.

I'm not one to switch cars often. I tend to keep em a long time, making the turbo more appealing.
I have thought it over carefully. It is now clear to me that you need the Turbo so you can tell us everything about it! What color?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If I lived in Germany I would get the Turbo, because I would be able to drive it fast in the Autobahn, here I feel my C2S is more then enough power and very nimble.

As with any car if you are return on investment conscious then get the most base as possible, options lose their value very fast. IMO the best option is to buy lightly used heavily optioned car, which I did. Bought my heavily optioned 2012 C2S when it had 11k miles and 30% under built price.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
I opted for heavily optioned C4S because:

1. Hate turbo lag.
2. Always have issues if I don't exactly get everything I need on a car and turbo/tts with all options I want would've been beyond my budget.
3. IMO C4/C4S looks the sexiest of all variants!

Good luck!
Agree on 1.
Agree on 3. And would be even sexier if one could choose a "delete light bar" option

I've seen a black C4S with platinum wheels. Best looking 911 ever !
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM
amdave
Intermediate

Unfortunately I never view cars as investment or care about resale. I buy want I like and then drive it for about 10 yrs.

I could see myself keeping a 911 for many, many years. Even passing it on ti my son when he gets older!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned several motorcycles that were just way too fast to be fun. I am speaking only in terms of acceleration. A bike that is in low tens or high nines is more machine than I can enjoy. Now the 991 turbo S seems to be there. I haven't driven, or even seen one, but I wonder if it is just too fast for a place in my life. My 400hp PDK C2S Cab can still scare the crap out of me, when I can find a place to turn her loose.....getting harder all the time. Is a faster Porsche always the better car? I'm not so sure. I should admit that I'm an old guy here..68..so it's fair you to fold that into your take on my observation.....Chris
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Richard_911
Advanced

I too am 68 and my C4S is about it for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

In the November 2013 issue of Car Magazine -- carmagazine.co.uk. there is a decent driving review of the TTS in comparison to the Nissan GT-R, with some very interesting comments in the conclusion about the GT3 (which I believe they reviewed in the prior issue). Page 122 - 128. With less then 300 miles on my new TTS, and as it is my first 911, my opinions are still not completely formed and I can't say I would have a good base of comparison anyway, so I will not comment on the reviews conclusion, but hope more experienced 911 and TTS owners could chime in.

Sal
Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo hands down! Nothing substitutes for 500+ hp. Even with a slight lag - it blows the doors off a c2s or c4s

Quick Reply: Which would you get and why??