Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
The thread is titled "no more manual gearbox for the 911". It's obvious replacement is the PDK, commenting on not wanting this to be one of the those threads and pretending she doesn't enjoy it, Suzy stirred the pot in a a provocative manner, to evoke a response. Commenting that one is a Luddite for not wanting an automatic in a sports car is hardly a coruscation of profundity. Lamenting having to suffer through the drivel after your participation in the same thread instead of making the obvious choice is curious.
I didn't stirr the pot. I just gave my comment to the OP on another stupid and pointless thread.
You should read what I write, instead of feeling attacked. I did say that I also love manuals. I also think it's a sad thing that it will eventially disappear, but there's nothing we can do about it. It's the way it is. I embrace the PDK and I have already adapted to it.
Maybe it's something you should do instead of whining the whole time about it. Makes life so much easier... for yourself.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Us Luddites have kept Porsche alive and know their history...
Good luck to Porsche with the generation of young adults today that couldn't give a rat's a*s how many races they've won throughout the history! They'll move quickly to the " next best thing "...
Most cars have purposes : hauling family,furniture,groceries,good in snow etc...911s have no purpose,but entertainment. PDK=not entertaining enough...
I don't know where you got this nonsense, but I think I know a lot more about the brand and its history than you expect. Maybe a even more than you!
You didn't keep Porsche alive, the people that bought those Cayennes and Panameras did. (And yes, I don't like that idea either, but it's a fact!)

It seems that you have no idea what a 911 is about, since you say it's ONLY about entertainment.
FYI: The Porsche 911 has always been the ultimate everyday sportscar. It was meant to use on weekdays for getting to work, on saturdays to take your partner on a nice ride and on sunday to drive to the track, put on your helmet, drive 25 laps the hell out of the thing, take off the helmet and drive home, to use that same car to get to work on monday again...

The 911 still is that ultimate everyday sportscar it used to be in 1963. The only thing that has changed are the requirements of the people that use the car as a daily driver. People want luxury in the car, they want to have built-in safetynets and most of them probably like a PDK more than a manual.

All those things are exactly what the so called purists don't want, but when Porsche doesn't meet the requirements of those people, they will sell not enough cars and I hope you agree that we all don't want that.
I agree that it would be nice from Porsche to keep the maniual alive, but it ain't gonna happen, since it is way too expensive to do it. The only way is to keep using the "old" manual that's now in the 991 and don't devellop it anymore (that's what BMW does, they use a 10 year old transmission for the U.S. market), but that is completely against what Porsche stands for, so they will probably never do that.

It's called evolution and it's part of our life. If you write a letter, do you still a fountain pen, do you use a typewriter or do you use your computer?

I truly hope that Porsche keeps the manual for enthusiasts like you, but I'm afraid they will never do that.
I'll be happy with a PDK in the meantime...

I will stop bothering you guys. I'll unsubscribe from this thread and will move on to other more interesting threads.

Ciao
Old 10-30-2013, 07:34 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
FYI: The Porsche 911 has always been the ultimate everyday sportscar. It was meant to use on weekdays for getting to work, on saturdays to take your partner on a nice ride and on sunday to drive to the track, put on your helmet, drive 25 laps the hell out of the thing, take off the helmet and drive home, to use that same car to get to work on monday again...

The 911 still is that ultimate everyday sportscar it used to be in 1963.
Well said !
Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Of course it will be all PDK... manual is ancient technology. Wake up... It's 2013, not 1963...
But let's not make this another manual vs. PDK thread. There are more than enough of those boring threads.

Everything is a matter of personal preference, but it's no news that manual gearboxes will eventually disapperar.

Suzy (via iOS app)
And in 20 years, all cars will drive themselves, and when purists complain about the the fact that a Porsche that you are not allowed to drive yourself us no different than a Lexus, you will say "Of course it will be all self-driving... Humans at the controls is ancient technology. Wake up... It's 2035, not 2013..."

I'm sure PDK is great, I might even buy one someday, but as someone that has only owned manual transmission cars and driven them in the worst Chicago traffic, I view selling only PDKs as just another step towards self-driving cars that literally don't allow any driver involvement.

It may be faster around a track, but the fastest way to get your car around the track is to give to a professional race car driver. No thanks. I would rather be several seconds slower and enjoy the experience.

Btw, the real reason for eliminating manuals has nothing to do with cost or technology, it has to do with mpg regulations.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Asquared
And in 20 years, all cars will drive themselves, and when purists complain about the the fact that a Porsche that you are not allowed to drive yourself us no different than a Lexus, you will say "Of course it will be all self-driving... Humans at the controls is ancient technology. Wake up... It's 2035, not 2013..."

I'm sure PDK is great, I might even buy one someday, but as someone that has only owned manual transmission cars and driven them in the worst Chicago traffic, I view selling only PDKs as just another step towards self-driving cars that literally don't allow any driver involvement.

It may be faster around a track, but the fastest way to get your car around the track is to give to a professional race car driver. No thanks. I would rather be several seconds slower and enjoy the experience.

Btw, the real reason for eliminating manuals has nothing to do with cost or technology, it has to do with mpg regulations.
I said that already in a previous post. That is indeed one of the main reasons.
And cost will certainly be a factor regarding the manuals in the future. Cost of development per unit will be too high, because they will sell less of them.

And no... I will not be saying that when cars are gonna drive themselves. I don't like that idea either. I also don't like the idea of a hybrid 911, but not much we can do about it. It will eventually come... if we like it or not. Look at the 918...

PDK is not only about being faster on a track, but it gives a driver possibillities to shift manually or leave it in auto. Yes... it's not as involving as a true manual, but you can focus your attention on other things that make the drive just as enjoyable as with a manual.
(Trust me... I also was someone that didn't want anything else than a manual. Automatics are for old people was what I always said, but I came back on that statement)

And now I really gonna close my browser and unsubscribe from this thread. It is and will always be a debate without an end.
Let's say it is a personal preference and that is something you can't debate...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't know where you got this nonsense, but I think I know a lot more about the brand and its history than you expect. Maybe a even more than you! You didn't keep Porsche alive, the people that bought those Cayennes and Panameras did. (And yes, I don't like that idea either, but it's a fact!) It seems that you have no idea what a 911 is about, since you say it's ONLY about entertainment. FYI: The Porsche 911 has always been the ultimate everyday sportscar. It was meant to use on weekdays for getting to work, on saturdays to take your partner on a nice ride and on sunday to drive to the track, put on your helmet, drive 25 laps the hell out of the thing, take off the helmet and drive home, to use that same car to get to work on monday again... The 911 still is that ultimate everyday sportscar it used to be in 1963. The only thing that has changed are the requirements of the people that use the car as a daily driver. People want luxury in the car, they want to have built-in safetynets and most of them probably like a PDK more than a manual. All those things are exactly what the so called purists don't want, but when Porsche doesn't meet the requirements of those people, they will sell not enough cars and I hope you agree that we all don't want that. I agree that it would be nice from Porsche to keep the maniual alive, but it ain't gonna happen, since it is way too expensive to do it. The only way is to keep using the "old" manual that's now in the 991 and don't devellop it anymore (that's what BMW does, they use a 10 year old transmission for the U.S. market), but that is completely against what Porsche stands for, so they will probably never do that. It's called evolution and it's part of our life. If you write a letter, do you still a fountain pen, do you use a typewriter or do you use your computer? I truly hope that Porsche keeps the manual for enthusiasts like you, but I'm afraid they will never do that. I'll be happy with a PDK in the meantime... I will stop bothering you guys. I'll unsubscribe from this thread and will move on to other more interesting threads. Ciao
Never referred to you when mentioning young adults that do not know Porsche history... I was simply responding to a post calling me a Luddite. I don't know why you'd think it was addressed to you...

Secondly,Porsche is entertainment,it's a luxury item,an expensive one...you can do the things you've mentioned with other cars...lots of options these days...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
Never referred to you when mentioning young adults that do not know Porsche history... I was simply responding to a post calling me a Luddite. I don't know why you'd think it was addressed to you...

Secondly,Porsche is entertainment,it's a luxury item,an expensive one...you can do the things you've mentioned with other cars...lots of options these days...
Then I need to apologize, because I really thought it was adressed to me. Sorry.

And yes, there are other cars that do these seperate things better than a 911, but it's a fact that the 911 can do all these things and if you are an enthusiast, like me and you want a 911 because that is the car you always dreamed of, it's the perfect choice to use it as a daily driver. No other sportscar can do that in the way a 911 can do it. Not one!

The beauty of the car is that there is a flavor for (almost) every taste. And I admit that there will disappear a flavor when the manual is discontinued. Same happened with the air-cooled engine. There will come a new flavor insteda and with that probably a new kind of owner.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Then I need to apologize, because I really thought it was adressed to me. Sorry. And yes, there are other cars that do these seperate things better than a 911, but it's a fact that the 911 can do all these things and if you are an enthusiast, like me and you want a 911 because that is the car you always dreamed of, it's the perfect choice to use it as a daily driver. No other sportscar can do that in the way a 911 can do it. Not one! The beauty of the car is that there is a flavor for (almost) every taste. And I admit that there will disappear a flavor when the manual is discontinued. Same happened with the air-cooled engine. There will come a new flavor insteda and with that probably a new kind of owner. Suzy (via iOS app)
No need to apologize Suzy...I'm an enthusiast myself.

And I agree...Porsche has always been about the pleasure of driving that many other cars could not offer and I'm hoping they will continue to do so,PDK and all...

Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the word profundity! That is all.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Happy to see that we addressed the original posters comment in 4 pages and +/- 52 responses.

An outsider reading these threads would think you are all insane!!

Does anyone here realize how many times this dead horse has been molested??

And I think we all know the definition of insanity...
Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still waiting for the OP to validate the statement with an author? Hell of a thing all this writing without factual information.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
I'm still waiting for the OP to validate the statement with an author? Hell of a thing all this writing without factual information.
I'm sure OP will deliver.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=Suzy991;10868012]I didn't stirr the pot. I just gave my comment to the OP on another stupid and pointless thread.
You should read what I write, instead of feeling attacked. I did say that I also love manuals. I also think it's a sad thing that it will eventially disappear, but there's nothing we can do about it. It's the way it is. I embrace the PDK and I have already adapted to it.
Maybe it's something you should do instead of whining the whole time about it. Makes life so much easier... for yourself.QUOTE]

Lol, really? You were the first to respond to the op saying:

"manual is ancient technology. Wake up... It's 2013, not 1963..."

If you didn't think that was going to be provocative, you must be new to the internet.

I'm glad you adapted to PDK and enjoy it. As I said I've owned various automated manuals and chose 7MT this time around. I'm certainly not whining about it and seriously doubt buying another automatic car will make my life
"so much easier", but thanks for the sage advice.
Will I own another PDK or the like in the future? Probably. But this thread is about the death of the manual in the 911 and a few of us on here bought a 991 with a 7MT because it might be our last chance. And it's a 7 speed stick! You have to admit that's cool. I had an 8 speed shifter cart once but it kept blowing up...
Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=008;10868401]
I didn't stirr the pot. I just gave my comment to the OP on another stupid and pointless thread.
Maybe it's something you should do instead of whining the whole time about it. Makes life so much easier... for yourself.QUOTE]

Lol, really? You were the first to respond to the op saying:

"manual is ancient technology. Wake up... It's 2013, not 1963..."

If you didn't think that was going to be provocative, you must be new to the internet.

<snip>
I had the same thought. A simple response of "That's probably true - it seems all of the sports cars are headed in that direction, whether we like it or not." would have served the purpose.

I'm not sure who feels 'attacked' by PDK advocates, but the inane comments about crank-starting engines get tiring given how unrelated that is. More accurate might be the question of electric vs. hydraulic vs. unassisted steering - I'd have been happy to have 997 steering on the 991 as well. Does that mean I like buggy whips and steam-powered motors? Not really... But someone figured that it might save 1 breaths worth of CO2 for every 1000 km, so electric it is. Progress? Uh... Sure?

It may be inevitable, but I'll certainly be happy to whine about it. I'll whine about governments the world over spying on all of us too - that's also progress that I'm not thrilled with that doesn't enrich our lives or driving experiences.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem with progress. For some reason, GM deemed it necessary to put an auto/manual in my truck. I tried it out once, in a parking lot. But when it comes to my 'sports car', manual all the way!!

And I actually like the power steering plus.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:46 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Porsche dropping manuals across the board is a few years off at least. Good news for me is that means I won't feel compelled to buy a new one again.

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?