Sponsored by:

No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
^^ Moving on and forgetting your roots are 2 different things. And comparing one of the largest car companies in the world to a small custom shop (Weissmann) is not exactly apples to apples
BS!!

What are Porsche's roots???

If Wiessmann had keep up with the new technologies, that were available (from BMW), they would have sold more cars. They didn't change anything for more than 10 years on the car, except some special editions, based on the exact same car.
There are very few companies that come away with that... (Morgan and that's about it)

Problem for Porsche is that they have to meet very strict emission regulations in the EU, because they are such a big company. With manual gearboxes, that will not be possible anymore in the near future, so that is one of the reasons why the manual will eventually disappear. I agree that it is sad, but it's the way it is.
Offering a manual as an option, may be possible, but more and more cars are being sold as PDK, so development of the manual gets more expensive. I don't think that there are many people that want a manual if they have to pay $10k or more extra for it.

It's same boring debate as the debate about air-cooled or water-cooled.

If you wanna drive a manual, get an old car...

And don't get me wrong, I also like manuals very much, but it's just ancient technology and I prefer modern technology in a modern car.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie981
I read today that in the near future, only PDK will be available for ALL 911's. Not good.
Source?

Anyway, the writing is on the wall. GT3 and Turbo are PDK-only. It's only a matter of time.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just further proves that the 911 is becoming nothing more than a luxury car that happens to be pretty fast.
Sure, they have some race teams and stuff. . . but those will soon be using a different model. Mark my words. The 911 is turning in to a Cadillac for rich people to sit on leather seats, have heated steering wheels, and a system that parks the car for them.

Bye bye sports car 911, it was nice knowing ya.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rglbegl
This just further proves that the 911 is becoming nothing more than a luxury car that happens to be pretty fast. Sure, they have some race teams and stuff. . . but those will soon be using a different model. Mark my words. The 911 is turning in to a Cadillac for rich people to sit on leather seats, have heated steering wheels, and a system that parks the car for them. Bye bye sports car 911, it was nice knowing ya.
Yes and that is a good thing... (except for that cadillac part)

It attracts way more potential customers, which means that they sell more cars and make more profit and they will survive.
The group of people that want the pure basic old school sportscar, becomes smaller and smaller. A company like Porsche can't survive on that alone anymore.

Nevertheless, with all those modern technologies and luxury, it still remains one of the best sportscars out there. So it's not bye bye sportscar 911... It's hello modern sportscar 911.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I respectfully disagree.

I do have a manual 981 Boxster S at the moment and I really enjoy it most of the time, when driving on twisty mountainroads. I don't like it in daily traffic and when driving "relaxed".
I agree that a dual clutch will never repliciate the experience of manual shifting, but it provides a different kind of experience. it's differrent but it can be just as much fun as driving a manual.
Technology changes and I think that is most of the time a good thing. Companies like Porsche have to move on to survive. If Porsche would stick to old pricipals, it would have been bankrupt a long time ago.
The best example is Wiessmann. They made beautiful cars, based on BMW (M3) technology, but they didn't move on and a couple of months ago, they went bankrupt. Sad, but true...
Keeping up with new technologies Is part of evolution of a brand and Porsche doesn't change if the car doesn't get better.

Suzy (via iOS app)
I respectfully disagree. PDK in its current form will never give the same kind of involvement or control that a three pedal manual car can. I've owned, tracked and raced multiple examples of both true sticks and automated manuals as well as various sequentials. I ordered my 991 in 7mt because it's the most entertaining of the three for a street car IMO. I absolutely embrace new technology but it has to fit your needs. Production based auto manuals are maybe fractionally faster than a stick shift car, but to what end? The average driver will be faster around a track in an auto car with a torque converter as opposed to an identical example with a stick. Is that better? For some yes for some no, but the condescending logic that new is always better is usually trumpeted by the naive or uninitiated.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Drive by wire, throttle by wire, shift by wire .. . .. .. I guess if you want your car to do everything for you that is fine. I prefer to drive my car, not be a passenger behind the wheel.

It is sad that all these technological advancements are being forced down our throats. Why? Because we don't have a choice.

And what really sucks is the fact that we are going to have to pay Extra for a manual transmission because that is what they know we really want.

Of course, for you commuters who need an automatic in traffic, but need to look cooler than the guy in the Buick, I guess the Auto Porsche is for you.

Originally Posted by 008
. . the condescending logic that new is always better is usually trumpeted by the naive or uninitiated.
I am about to pay for a membership here just so I can put this quote in my signature line
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 008
I respectfully disagree. PDK in its current form will never give the same kind of involvement or control that a three pedal manual car can. I've owned, tracked and raced multiple examples of both true sticks and automated manuals as well as various sequentials. I ordered my 991 in 7mt because it's the most entertaining of the three for a street car IMO. I absolutely embrace new technology but it has to fit your needs. Production based auto manuals are maybe fractionally faster than a stick shift car, but to what end? The average driver will be faster around a track in an auto car with a torque converter as opposed to an identical example with a stick. Is that better? For some yes for some no, but the condescending logic that new is always better is usually trumpeted by the naive or uninitiated.
I haven't said that it was better... it's different. There is no better or worse in this case. Both transmissions are great. People just have to get used to the idea. For the real die-hards, there are plenty of alternatives.
Eventually this whole discussion about manual vs. PDK will die, just like the manual transmission itself.

Another thing that I notice is that 95% manual-only crowd is based in the U.S. and some in the U.K. I rarely here people in Germany or whatever other European country complain about it.
It's probably because manuals are more common here and nothing special. I don't know for sure.

I truly understand why people want a manual. Like I said, I have one too, but it's just something that we have to deal with. A manual can be fun, but in a daily driver it's 70% ot the time annoying and 30% fun. (At least it is in European traffic, I can't speak for U.S. traffic)
I definitely prefer a PDK now over a manual, despite the fact that I love to drive manual, both on the road and on the track.

BTW... I have no intention to offend anyone here. It's just my own opinion on this subject.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:52 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Others have made that mistake...went back... Hint : BMW.

Motto of the day : " I can live without Porshhhh,Porshhhh can not live without me "
NO MANUAL=NO SALE!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
Others have made that mistake...went back... Hint : BMW. Motto of the day : " I can live without Porshhhh,Porshhhh can not live without me " NO MANUAL=NO SALE!
Hahahaha good one!

But I think Porsche can easily live without you. For everybody that doesn't want the car anymore because of no manual, there are three in the row waiting to get a PDK

BMW does only offer manuals (very old ones) for the U.S. in their M-cars. Here in Europe, no manual M5 or M6.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

But let's not make this another manual vs. PDK thread. There are more than enough of those boring threads.
And then the stampede!

Well, can't say you didn't try....
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
And then the stampede! Well, can't say you didn't try....
.... Yes and the worst of all is that I'm participating in it... Damn! I way too pasionate about these stupid cars!

I need to go to sleep. It's 1:03AM here!

Please keep on discussing without me... i'll read it tomorrow. Please turn out the lights If you go home.

Good night

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 PM
rglbegl
Racer

I guess only time will tell
If Porsche goes all automatic transmissions, let us see who the buyers are. If those are the buyers Porsche is after, then good for them.

On the other hand, this may shoot them in the foot.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't said that it was better... it's different. There is no better or worse in this case. Both transmissions are great. People just have to get used to the idea. For the real die-hards, there are plenty of alternatives.
Eventually this whole discussion about manual vs. PDK will die, just like the manual transmission itself.

Another thing that I notice is that 95% manual-only crowd is based in the U.S. and some in the U.K. I rarely here people in Germany or whatever other European country complain about it.
It's probably because manuals are more common here and nothing special. I don't know for sure.

I truly understand why people want a manual. Like I said, I have one too, but it's just something that we have to deal with. A manual can be fun, but in a daily driver it's 70% ot the time annoying and 30% fun. (At least it is in European traffic, I can't speak for U.S. traffic)
I definitely prefer a PDK now over a manual, despite the fact that I love to drive manual, both on the road and on the track.

BTW... I have no intention to offend anyone here. It's just my own opinion on this subject.
No worries. Ultimately voting with our check books will only go so far. Porsche will soon offer only auto hybrids and I'm sure they'll continue to sell all they can build. Some one mentioned Ferrari doesn't build any manuals anymore, I recently was considering a 430 and was surprised to see the manuals commanded a higher price than their equivalent F1. Not sure if it's an anomaly or the trend but it was telling. I went with a C2S instead of the GT3 because it was PDK only, I wanted as analog of a 911 as I could get while it was still available. My order contrasted so acutely with the typical buyer's preference that I had one dealer flat out tell me they wouldn't order the car regardless of deposit! The new M3/4 will also be offered with a manual btw.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold a 997.1 and bought an Audi A7...amazing technology! I think it can almost launch an ICBM missile! I hated it! I hated the pure disconnect between man and machine.

I could have bought a 991 with all the bells and whistles. Keyless Go, Bluetooth Audio, auto headl ights, etc...but I decided to buy a 997.2. I love actually having to press a button to open the doors and turn a key to start the engine...

The greater the technology, the greater the disconnect between man and machine. But people want this and Porsche has sold a butt load of 991's. And most to businessmen who want the Porsche name, can afford one and can get in one and have the it be quiet enough so the can make their business calls while driving to their next meeting.

Yes, this is a stereotype, but I truly wonder how many people who buy a 991 with PDK actually use it in the way it was intended to be used or just put it in Auto mode and drive...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Hahahaha good one! But I think Porsche can easily live without you. For everybody that doesn't want the car anymore because of no manual, there are three in the row waiting to get a PDK BMW does only offer manuals (very old ones) for the U.S. in their M-cars. Here in Europe, no manual M5 or M6. Suzy (via iOS app)
Why would there be 3 waiting in line for PDK?! 991s with PDK are readily available,mass production,no shortage...
Bear in mind this is still a 150K car not hot bread...

Quick Reply: No More Manual Gear Box for The 911?