Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption During Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Consumption During Break-in

This is a question directed more towards the purchasers of new 911/991's as relates to oil consumption before the first service, typically @ 10,000 miles
If you purchase a low milage 911 that's OK too.

Our salesman states, "you will probably use a quart of oil in the first 5000 miles or so of driving and Definitely before the first oil change. The ADD OIL indicator light will illuminate but don't worry this happens with every 911".
He couldn't answer the "why".

So my first question: Is this because of Porsche's recomended "slow break-in period" along with using Mobil 1 instead of a mineral oil?

Question #2: For thoes of you who didin't shall we say, adhere to the strict 4000 rpm guide lines, did you notice a quart of oil consumption during this period as well. Or not. Possibly due to earlier ring seat, just a theory.

Question #3: Will oil consumption decrease after 10,000 miles or so considering the car is used in a fairly conservative manner.......track days are NOT part of the equation.

Currently we have about 460 miles on the car and make every effort to abide by the 4k limit but admittantly 4.5 and 5k comes up so quick those rpms to be really honest 4.3 to 4.8k rpm to is closer to the truth. Onramps merging into traffic is my biggest offence. No oil use so far..............will keep updating as necessary.

Best, Bret.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I followed the break-in recommendations for the most part, but did rev past a few times when needed. My car did NOT burn any oil leading up the 10K service, and has NOT burned any since. I've now got 24K miles on my 3.4 with two services under its belt, and it's running like a top. I do carry a quart in the frunk just in case, and check the level via the visual readout at least every few days.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Interesting, and thanks, maybe the salesguy was setting us up for worst case scenario. This is our first Porsche, we don't know any better.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I followed the break-in period with the accessional moments of weakness. I'm at 2,700mi and burned no oil.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm at 3500 and haven't seen a low oil indicator. I screwed up a few times during the break-in (like going into Sport Plus in auto mode - d'oh!)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added 1/2 a quart before first oil service.
Nothing since then.

It depends a bit on how you park the car. Boxers tend to use oil. Park it at a bank angle (say on the side of a road) often and more oil will find its way into the lower of the combustion chambers - this will burn off as you start the car and can be seen as a brief cloud of smoke.
Using the engine at higher performance levels will also cause more oil to get into the combustion chamber - but that applies for any engine I would think.
Some oil will also be vaporised by pure mechanical action and some of that finds itself sucked into the intakes via the crankcase breather and is simply burned.
So, you should, on average, see a bit of oil consumption depending on driving style and the way you park - but it should be little.

You will likely find that you have to top up your water level more often than the oil level. At least that is what I am finding. I use more water than oil. That seems to be related to spirited mountain pass driving. That lump of aluminium gets hot. Very hot. Lot's of ticking itself cool and fans spinning by the time I get to stop at the top.

Rainier
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6500 miles so far, diligent break-in, no oil consumption. Must have been a former Jaguar salesman.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 AM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4999 miles on my C2, stayed within 4200 rpm during break-in with only a time or two above, almost never below 4200 rpm now, zero oil consumption.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed break in instructions and no oil consumption in first 5,000kms.(3000mi)
Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

You know when he was telling me this, I was thinking the only new car we have purchased in the last 20 years that used any oil (from oil change to oil change) was/is our 2010 Volvo XC90. So as you can imagine, my Spidey senses were tingling......hence this thread. :

So this new information makes me smile................ : D
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Porsche used to be known for having a very high threshold of oil consumption before they would consider it a warranty problem. I ran mine hard from the get-go so even now over 120k miles it uses virtually none, but every now and then you hear about the guy who has to add a quart almost every tank of gas- and they don't consider that a warranty problem. My hunch is that's where the dealer comments originate, same as their 'break-in' instructions, pure corporate CYA. But it makes me wonder, anybody know what their current standard is for 'too much'? By that I don't mean "high" I mean the level they'd take warranty action to repair/replace.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

^Chuck, I think it's 1 liter per 1,000 km. Crazy if you ask me.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
I added 1/2 a quart before first oil service.
Nothing since then.

It depends a bit on how you park the car. Boxers tend to use oil. Park it at a bank angle (say on the side of a road) often and more oil will find its way into the lower of the combustion chambers - this will burn off as you start the car and can be seen as a brief cloud of smoke.
Using the engine at higher performance levels will also cause more oil to get into the combustion chamber - but that applies for any engine I would think.
Some oil will also be vaporised by pure mechanical action and some of that finds itself sucked into the intakes via the crankcase breather and is simply burned.
So, you should, on average, see a bit of oil consumption depending on driving style and the way you park - but it should be little.

You will likely find that you have to top up your water level more often than the oil level. At least that is what I am finding. I use more water than oil. That seems to be related to spirited mountain pass driving. That lump of aluminium gets hot. Very hot. Lot's of ticking itself cool and fans spinning by the time I get to stop at the top.

Rainier
I would be concerned with regards to coolant loss on a new motor. But I tend to worry too much.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the **** out of mine from the day I got it. It is how I break in all my cars for last thirty years. I now have 10000 miles it used 200 ml in last 5000 miles.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Marv.Frazier
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my 991S with no concern for break in from the initial test drive. First DE at 2000mi. Have not had to add any oil. Although first oil change was at 5000mi prior to winter storage.

Side note - My two Audi's - a 3.0 A6 and 3.0 S4 which are both driven conservatively have each needed a quart of oil every 5000 miles religiously...

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption During Break-in