Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Thoughts on base stereo vs Bose (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/780478-thoughts-on-base-stereo-vs-bose.html)

96redLT4 10-09-2013 02:09 AM

Thoughts on base stereo vs Bose

I am thinking about ordering a new car. On my current 05 C2S I have a sunroof, which I never open and the Bose stereo which I rarely listen to unless my 13 yr old daughter is with me. Is there a reason to pay up on the new car to get these options? How bad is the base 200+ watt unit?? PS I saw the thread below on the Burmeester but obviously I am not interested in a high end stereo for my Porsche
J

spar10 10-09-2013 02:21 AM

You've probably answered your own question. My 996 and 997 had it as does my 991 so I don't know any different. If you rarely listen to it then why even consider it?

However, if you're looking for a reason to get it then think about what it will do to help the value when it comes time for you to sell.

Rainier_991 10-09-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 (Post 10817165)
I am thinking about ordering a new car. On my current 05 C2S I have a sunroof, which I never open and the Bose stereo which I rarely listen to unless my 13 yr old daughter is with me. Is there a reason to pay up on the new car to get these options? How bad is the base 200+ watt unit?? PS I saw the thread below on the Burmeester but obviously I am not interested in a high end stereo for my Porsche
J

The base amp is OK.
However, after I pulled the panels to fix some rattles and squeeks and had a good look at the speakers I am frankly disgusted by Porsche installing such crap into an expensive car. It really does not get any cheaper than this.
I will be replacing the speakers with decent ones as soon as I get around to it.
I used to design hifi systems electronics and speaker systems in my younger days so I am sure a bit of minor effort will make a huge difference here.

Yes, I know - it's a 911 and the sound system is not supposed to be a factor. But still...

Rainier

bccars 10-09-2013 07:28 AM

J

This one is easy. Don't get options you'll never use. You dont' order and pay for courses in a restaurant that you don't plan on eating, do you ?

stealthboy 10-09-2013 08:51 AM

IMHO the base stereo is just fine. Personally, I'm not interested in audiophile-quality sound reproduction when I'm driving my 911; that's what my home stereo setup is for.

kosmo 10-09-2013 10:25 AM

the base is a POS. The Bose is less of a POS. Whats not a POS is the PSE.
Get that. If youre like me and many others, I appreciate the induction and exhaust sounds way more.

LexVan 10-09-2013 10:35 AM

Is the 991 Bose system at least better than the 997 Bose system? Specifically as it relates to the cabrilet. Thanks.

MerlinsGarage 10-09-2013 10:38 AM

Base is fine, engine sound is what I paid for.

rpilot 10-09-2013 10:43 AM

J

I have never really been happy with Bose anything, so consider me biased. Before I ordered my car, I listened to all three and the base system and the Burmester while cruising. The base is an OK system, nothing special, but not too shabby to listen now and then. It did not distort easily although it is lacking on the low end. It will never wow you, however.

The Bose is Bose, great soundstage but lacking in everything else. I would not pay for it myself, but YMMV. Think of the Bose as a system with speakers of better build (like Rainier911 pointed out the speakers are cheap in the base system) but not necessarily better sound. The fancy algorithms to create the soundstage and some bass (albeit muddy) from the dedicated subwoofer is what you get with this system.

The Burmester is very nice. Dont be fooled. It is not as good as a 100K Burmester home system, but a very nice sound in the car and dollars to doughnuts your 13 yo will love it too. The bass is very tight and precise so if it is too much for you, turn it down and you will love the mids and the highs out of this system.

I ordered the Burmester and have been very happy with it. But if you really dont want to spend the 5K, I see no reason not to stick with the base.

mtbscott 10-09-2013 11:05 AM

One of the side benefits of being hard of hearing (after years of loud music and motorcycles) is the Bose sounds fine to me. The base probably would be adequate too, but my lot car already had the premium package with Bose in it. No way I would spend the Burmeister money for my car audio.

kosmo 10-09-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 10817609)
Is the 991 Bose system at least better than the 997 Bose system? Specifically as it relates to the cabrilet. Thanks.

the cabin in general is quieter so yes.

spourreza 10-09-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 10817609)

Yes. Had Bose in 997. Now I have base on my 991. In my view? They are very comparable. I actually think base may be better than old Bose

hff 10-09-2013 01:03 PM

I have the Bose in my 991S Cabriolet, and whilst nice, hardly use it. Engine is where its at. With hindsight I would not have gotten that or the SatNav.

kosmo 10-09-2013 03:40 PM

SatNav is standard. Can you believe it?!!

Suzy991 10-09-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by kosmo (Post 10818246)
SatNav is standard. Can you believe it?!!

Unfortunately not everywhere ;)

Suzy991