Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   sport exhaust enhancements (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/779753-sport-exhaust-enhancements.html)

apex+ 10-04-2013 06:01 PM

sport exhaust enhancements

I was told that the new Porsche 991 with sports exhaust is enhanced through the stereo to make it sound louder and more full. Any of you know if you can turn that off in setup to get rid of sound enhancement?

Thanks!

Chuck

:cheers:

Reborn996 10-04-2013 06:25 PM

Might be the sound symposer you are hearing about... not related to the actual sound system. ;)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

mtony 10-04-2013 06:28 PM

I stuffed some foam insulation in and over my sound symposer tube to tame it down a little.

rnl 10-04-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by apex+ (Post 10806869)
I was told that the new Porsche 991 with sports exhaust is enhanced through the stereo to make it sound louder and more full. Any of you know if you can turn that off in setup to get rid of sound enhancement?

Thanks!

Chuck

:cheers:

It's my understanding that BMW has the stereo enhancement. On the 991 there is a pipe with a sound diaphragm that conducts the actual sound from the engine's air intakes into the cabin. It's activated with Sport or Sport+

I have found that the best enhancements are, in increasing order:

Highway overpasses
Enclosed parking lots
Tunnels

PSE on, windows down, sunroof open, downshift to 2nd gear, let up on throttle - boom.

apex+ 10-04-2013 06:35 PM

to the best of your knowledge then, it's not connected with the stereo system in any way. Thanks for the two bits of information. Very helpful! Chuck

apex+ 10-04-2013 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by rnl (Post 10806955)
It's my understanding that BMW has the stereo enhancement. On the 991 there is a pipe with a sound diaphragm that conducts the actual sound from the engine's air intakes into the cabin. It's activated with Sport or Sport+

Highway overpasses
Enclosed parking lots
Tunnels

PSE on, windows down, sunroof open, downshift to 2nd gear, let up on throttle - boom.

Originally Posted by Reborn996 (Post 10806926)
Might be the sound symposer you are hearing about... not related to the actual sound system. ;)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

Thanks very much!:cheers:

bccars 10-04-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by apex+ (Post 10806959)
to the best of your knowledge then, it's not connected with the stereo system in any way.

No it is not !

chuckbdc 10-04-2013 07:35 PM

Mine is related to the stereo: when I open the windows, put it in Sport to open the PSE, I turn off the stereo. :burnout:

SkandoSchwabe 10-04-2013 08:39 PM

Highway overpasses
Enclosed parking lots
Tunnels

It seems like the sound symposer diaphragm thing is turned on in regular (non-sport) mode as well if you accelerate hard - or am I hallucinating?

SkandoSchwabe 10-04-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 10806936)
I stuffed some foam insulation in and over my sound symposer tube to tame it down a little.

I'd like to do the same. Where is that thing located and how do I get to it?

mtony 10-04-2013 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe (Post 10807217)
I'd like to do the same. Where is that thing located and how do I get to it?

It's located under the rear deck. If I remember correctly the deck just comes out with a pull. You will then see a strip of insulation lengthwise under the deck. Pull the insulation out and you will see a small round opening. That's the end of the symposer. I stuffed some insulation into the tube and added some more under the stock insulation under the deck.

lbahoshy 10-05-2013 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 10807272)
It's located under the rear deck. If I remember correctly the deck just comes out with a pull. You will then see a strip of insulation lengthwise under the deck. Pull the insulation out and you will see a small round opening. That's the end of the symposer. I stuffed some insulation into the tube and added some more under the stock insulation under the deck.

Speaking of which, for those who want more engine sound, is there a way to get more sound into the cabin somehow from the symposer ? (Removing any insulation) ?

kosmo 10-05-2013 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by lbahoshy (Post 10807780)

Speaking of which, for those who want more engine sound, is there a way to get more sound into the cabin somehow from the symposer ? (Removing any insulation) ?

Rev it more

kosmo 10-05-2013 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by mtony (Post 10806936)

Why do you have pse?

DvidzBlk991 10-05-2013 02:49 AM

Does this include a 991 C2 with no PSE? Does a C2 with the regular exhaust still have a sound symposer activated with Sport ? I dont have Sports Chrono.