Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is break-in or run-in really required?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

None of it makes any sense if the guidelines aren't the same across all markets. And they aren't.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
None of it makes any sense if the guidelines aren't the same across all markets. And they aren't.
A point others have raised as well. But Rainier I think gets to the heart of it:

"Don't spoil a perfectly good conspiracy theory and discussion topic with logic and common sense."

I doubt any of us will ever be able to improve upon that.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bccars

Back on topic:
I'm breaking in my engine, full stop. I don't know enough about the subject to contradict Porsche's recommendation. Plus I don't want to give them a proverbial stick when something goes bang in my car.
+1 very true.

My recommendation is to just do the time. I mean its only 2,000 miles not 10k or 20k miles. For me, it's a small price to pay. I would do what Porsche and my dealership instructed me to do, which is to keep revs to 4000, vary speeds and not to constantly take short drives during the first 2000 miles.
Admittedly, it is difficult at times to use restraint, especially with the C2 power coming in at over 5000 RPM, but hey I waited 3 months for the car to come in, so why not do the right thing and break in the car the way Porsche wants me to.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its hardly necessary to refute something that's never even been said. Where in the article does the Porsche engineer state the importance of limited RPM? Nowhere!
http://yel.pca.org/porsche-engine-break-in/

The relevant passage is here:
"When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine never reach the temperatures they would when driven on the street since the test session is fairly short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time."
He clearly states the concern is temperature not RPM!

I frankly have been trying to avoid this article, because its one of the worst examples of writing (or speaking, if the engineer is quoted accurately) on this subject I've ever seen. The so-called engineer continues:
"Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM)"
So I have to ask: is operating temperature now measured in RPM? Is it okay to redline so long as we "maintain a lower operating temperature"? He sure seems to be saying that, because that is EXACTLY the 'reason' he gave for it being okay at the factory. But, if we follow his "reasoning" then how low of an operating temperature are we to maintain? "Below 4,000 RPM"!

This is what passes for reasoning with the break-in crowd?

And please, don't even try and say I'm cherry picking or taking out of context. Later on down the writer summarizes:
"Porsche’s time frame for that to occur is calculated to be 2,000 miles, with the heat restriction being 4,000 RPM."
I think its pretty clear, either the 'engineer' or the 'writer' (or both!) think temperature is measured in RPMs.
Oh brother... You obviously know everything so I will not bother wasting any more of my time highlighting the errors in your thought processes.

Justify your disregard for the proper break-in procedure of your car however you wish...enjoy your P car.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by DvidzBlk991
why not do the right thing and break in the car the way Porsche wants me to.
I know the answer to this one!

Because restricting RPM means restricting power needed to seat the rings. If the rings aren't seated in the first few hours of operation, they never will be. Poorly seated rings allow combustion gases to blow by, resulting in lower power output. Unburned fuel getting past the rings contaminates oil resulting in greater wear. Acidic combustion byproducts blowing past the rings contributes to engine wear over time.

Interesting, isn't it? I mean look at all those specific, sensible, easily understood, highly logical reasons. Verifiable, too! Because, IF it is correct that the essential element is seating the rings, AND IF its true this must occur during the first few hours of operation, THEN (notice how I cleverly CAPITALIZED the LOGIC FUNCTIONS? Man am I good or what?) we would expect to see changes during these early hours- and we do!

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/1828...l?redirected=1

And I quote:
How can you tell when an engine is broken in?.... With today's sophisticated probe-per-cylinder engine analyzers I can often see individual cylinders seat. When the CHT on any cylinder drops about 50 degrees in the space of a few minutes with no change in engine operating conditions, that cylinder has seated.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting, isn't it?
Uh, no, not anymore. Unsubscribed.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop200
I agree completely, particularly when there is at least one young lady who posts and reads on this forum.
Originally Posted by bccars
Suzy is a levelheaded, grown up lady. She is not going to be offended by an ANALOGY ! Neither should anyone else for that matter ! Back on topic: I'm breaking in my engine, full stop. I don't know enough about the subject to contradict Porsche's recommendation. Plus I don't want to give them a proverbial stick when something goes bang in my car.
Damn... I missed this whole thread (probably because brake-in is not of my interest )

Guys, I'm grown up, I know all these thing about analogy and I definitely don't feel offended.

I'm raised in a country where magazines like playboy or penthouse don't need to be covered with a discrete packaging, where girls loose, on average, their virginity at the age of 16, but where it IS illegal to own a gun without a permission (but where it is legal to smoke softdrugs... :-/)

Don't worry about me... I'm not offended quickly.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 10-24-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Well that's a relief!
But I want to know more about this subscription thing. How much do you get back when you cancel?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good one
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Is there any possible downside to following the factory recommended break in period?

Also, is there any possible downside to not following it?

Seems like if you can answer these questions, you'd have your answer.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Is there any possible downside to following the factory recommended break in period?
Yes. Not using full power early on means the rings will never seat. Less power, shorter engine life. See above.

Notice I'm not counting as downside the fact you're denying yourself the full benefit of the performance you've just paid so dearly for. For some people this is nothing compared to the pleasure of following orders, therefore it doesn't count.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Also, is there any possible downside to not following it?
None. All you're doing is what the manufacturer designed the engine to do.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

I'm picking up a new leftover C2Cab next week and driving 900 miles home. Should I avoid cruise control altogether? I will be on I80 for a loooong time or else I wouldn't even ask.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I'm picking up a new leftover C2Cab next week and driving 900 miles home. Should I avoid cruise control altogether? I will be on I80 for a loooong time or else I wouldn't even ask.
You can use cruise control. But maybe every 60-90 minutes vary your speed and rpms by downshifting to 6th for 5 minutes, then 5th for 5 minutes, then upshift to 6th then 7th. Keeping your rpms below 4,200.

Or get off the highway every 200 miles and take country roads for an hour then hope back on the interstate.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Does not matter how you drive for 900 miles. What matters is how you drive the first 100-200 miles. Find some side roads or country highways, do lots and lots of full throttle accelerations- nail it, slow down, repeat- and have yourself a lot of fun while seating the rings. Just remember that in the first 100-200 miles the worst thing you can do is just cruise along just off-idle. The 991 will cruise around 90 and barely be off idle, so don't judge by speed. And doing 80 in 3rd, that'll give you revs but not load. What you need is load- horsepower- or the rings won't seat. Nail it, brake, repeat.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes. Not using full power early on means the rings will never seat.
Not having a go at you ! genuine question !

Where is the scientific data to corroberate that 991 engine rings only seat properly at full power and nothing less ?

Quick Reply: Is break-in or run-in really required?