Sponsored by:

Is break-in or run-in really required?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I've read loads of BS on this thread and didn't want to interfere and just laugh, but couldn't resist anymore
Here's the instruction from the German/Swiss/Austrian manual for the 991Turbo S. Translating you'll have to do yourself, Google is your best friend (Sorry, I'm too lazy today)
It's beyond me too why people who don't even live here in Europe keep claiming there's nothing in the manual regarding breakin, allthough a few Europeans have clearly stated on multiple occasions there ARE breakin instructions !

People just seem to take things they read at face value and echo them endlessly without checking their validity !
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
It's beyond me too why people who don't even live here in Europe keep claiming there's nothing in the manual regarding breakin, allthough a few Europeans have clearly stated on multiple occasions there ARE breakin instructions !

People just seem to take things they read at face value and echo them endlessly without checking their validity !
Yes there ARE instructions as Suzy posted. Translated into English these are the same as we get them here.

The point is: You guys in America get told not to exceed 4200 RPM. We do not get told that at all. It's not in the manual. We may floor it off the showroom floor, we only get told not to hold high RPM for long...

That little item is really what all the confusion and threads are about. Two rules - one for Americans, one for the rest of the World. We are sure Porsche knows why. They do have a reason ? One would assume so...

If Porsche told us why, we would not speculate. They don't. So we wonder. Too much perhaps...

Rainier
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
Yes there ARE instructions as Suzy posted. Translated into English these are the same as we get them here.

The point is: You guys in America get told not to exceed 4200 RPM. We do not get told that at all. It's not in the manual. We may floor it off the showroom floor, we only get told not to hold high RPM for long...

That little item is really what all the confusion and threads are about. Two rules - one for Americans, one for the rest of the World. We are sure Porsche knows why. They do have a reason ? One would assume so...

If Porsche told us why, we would not speculate. They don't. So we wonder. Too much perhaps...

Rainier
I know why...
But I'm not sure if I can say that here on a mainly U.S. forum
I'm going on a holiday to the U.S. later this week and I'm afraid that after saying that, I'm not allowed in the country anymore hahaha

No just kidding...
I think the problem is that every company (not only Porsche) wants to have everything covered in their instructions, because it seems to be some sort of cultural thing to make a lawsuit out of every oppertunity.
If you fart the wrong way, you get a lawsuit on your hands...

And since Porsche makes less profit on the U.S. cars, I would do the same if I was in charge. They can't risk much lawsuits...

That said... every Porsche enthusiats with a tiny bit of common sense knows that you can't go WOT with a cold engine and a normal person doesn't do that, especially when the car is brand new.
But to have it covered for the few that are stupid enough to do those silly things with a new car, they need to mention that in the manual.

Now you can all start flaming at me
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Well said. The blurb in the european manual seems pretty clear to me - take it easy means exactly that. The litigious culture here is even crazy to some of us natives. Then again both of my parents came from Europe - so I'm only a first generation native. My mother in-law is a doctor & business owner and just was sued by two of her employees for not forcing them - yes forcing them - to take breaks. All the while they were given the freedom to decide when to take their own breaks, given the freedom to go run errands, etc. etc. I'm surprised the break-in period "disclaimer" didn't end up to be ten pages long given this sort of nuttery. Anyway, don't get me started on all of that

Have a terrific vacation here in the states!!! Hope you're going somewhere fun?

I know why...
I'm going on a holiday to the U.S. later this week and I'm afraid that after saying that, I'm not allowed in the country anymore hahaha

No just kidding...
I think the problem is that every company (not only Porsche) wants to have everything covered in their instructions, because it seems to be some sort of cultural thing to make a lawsuit out of every oppertunity.
If you fart the wrong way, you get a lawsuit on your hands...

And since Porsche makes less profit on the U.S. cars, I would do the same if I was in charge. They can't risk much lawsuits...

That said... every Porsche enthusiats with a tiny bit of common sense knows that you can't go WOT with a cold engine and a normal person doesn't do that, especially when the car is brand new.
But to have it covered for the few that are stupid enough to do those silly things with a new car, they need to mention that in the manual.

Now you can all start flaming at me

Last edited by CaliforniaZombie; 10-29-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Well said. The blurb in the european manual seems pretty clear to me - take it easy means exactly that. The litigious culture here is even crazy to some of us natives. Then again both of my parents came from Europe - so I'm only a first generation native. My mother in-law is a doctor & business owner and just was sued by two of her employees for not forcing them - yes forcing them - to take breaks. I'm surprised the break-in period "disclaimer" didn't end up to be ten pages long given this sort of nuttery. Have a terrific vacation here in the states!!! Hope you're going somewhere fun?
Sounds Southern California okay to you. Haha
We're visiting family who live in Ventura for a couple of years now.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Oh nice! I live down in Newport Beach. Too bad you didn't pack up and send your 991 over here - some really great/scenic roads as you probably already know.

Have an awesome time!!

Sounds Southern California okay to you. Haha
We're visiting family who live in Ventura for a couple of years now.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Oh nice! I live down in Newport Beach. Too bad you didn't pack up and send your 991 over here - some really great/scenic roads as you probably already know. Have an awesome time!!
Thanks

It will be an American musclecar instead of a 991 my "father-in-law" has a Challanger SRT8 and a Raptor. Something completely different, but also nice to drive once in a while. We don't have that here in Europe

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry to fire up the thread like that!

Like Suzy, I just couldn't help myself any longer.

After reading page after page.... Suzy held her tongue but the truth is that we are a bunch of litigious prima donnas with speed limits, no nudity and of course Porsche knows this.

The half German in me laughs. The other half, my Scotch Irish side laughs too and has a drink and says don't worry about it.

Didn't I pretty much sum it up Suzy?

It's like the cup holders. Oh, you dumb Americans want cup holders? Here, we will squeeze them in above the glove box.

I'm a patriot but can see America from Europe's point of view and it makes me laugh.

God Bless America and Los Angeles!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Well different can be good At least you have something reasonably fun to drive. I'm visiting family in Oregon and I'm driving my father's Mercedes C240 around - which has all of four cylinders. I think if I get out and peddle it might go faster? After being home in California this weekend and driving my 991 around and switching back to this benz - I almost got into a wreck. I'm stepping on the gas pedal and nothing seems to happen Looks like the foot peddling is going to need to happen to make that car go! That's my version of the Porsche power kit it seems.

Have a really great vacation!

Thanks

It will be an American musclecar instead of a 991 my "father-in-law" has a Challanger SRT8 and a Raptor. Something completely different, but also nice to drive once in a while. We don't have that here in Europe

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

@MarcusG
Hahaha that pretty much sums it all up indeed

Cheers!

@CaliforniaZombie: Thanks!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Also well said MarcusG - but of course, he's my homey from Newport Beach

Half German and half Scotch Irish huh - your reaction, as you described it, makes sense My mom is from Holland and my dad from Hungary - I guess that combination just makes me confused

Originally Posted by MarcusG

Sorry to fire up the thread like that!

Like Suzy, I just couldn't help myself any longer.

After reading page after page.... Suzy held her tongue but the truth is that we are a bunch of litigious prima donnas with speed limits, no nudity and of course Porsche knows this.

The half German in me laughs. The other half, my Scotch Irish side laughs too and has a drink and says don't worry about it.

Didn't I pretty much sum it up Suzy?

It's like the cup holders. Oh, you dumb Americans want cup holders? Here, we will squeeze them in above the glove box.

I'm a patriot but can see America from Europe's point of view and it makes me laugh.

God Bless America and Los Angeles!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Rainier
Thank you, Rainier!

Porsche always has a reason. Suzy, no need to fear reprisals, I already brought up liability in a litigious country as a likely reason way back on post #29. There's a lot of good stuff in this thread, from a lot of different people. Worth reading.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
Thank you, Rainier! Porsche always has a reason. Suzy, no need to fear reprisals, I already brought up liability in a litigious country as a likely reason way back on post #29. There's a lot of good stuff in this thread, from a lot of different people. Worth reading.
Hahaha worth reading? I almost fell asleep 3 times! Hahaha

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

The point is: You guys in America get told not to exceed 4200 RPM. We do not get told that at all. It's not in the manual.
I was told at delivery time not to exceed 4000rpm first 3000km !
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I know why...
Wise, as maybe even this forum is tapped by the NSA ;-)

Quick Reply: Is break-in or run-in really required?