Porsche 991: Leather Interior choices explained

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
@suzy991..

Are these leather choice explanations current and valid worldwide ? Or do these vary by region? Switzerland, EU, US , etc.?

Or is there a naming convention difference in seats, leather, etc. by market?

In the US, if you order "leather seats" instead of the "partial leather", and 14 way seats are ordered, then the diagram in the PDF and the legend is a good description of what is covered in the smooth, nicer leather. If however, the 18 way leather seats are ordered ONLY THE FRONT SEATS , along with whatever comes standard in smooth leather comes that way. The rear seats, tunnel , etc are the grained, partial leather seats.

I initially wanted to get the 18 way seats with the nicer leather but standard interior. When I found out that the rear seats would be the cheaper material, I did not like the idea and went with the full leather interior. This was discussed in a couple of threads here and somewhat "non definitively" confirmed by the dealer, since all the cars they normally ordered at that time with 18 way seats were also ordered with full leather.

Still, It would be worth knowing for sure for the US market. If you were to look in the US config on Porsche's website currently, you will see that ordering 18 way seats in leather is a few dollars cheaper than ordering the 14 way seats in leather. So, it is still likely what I state above is correct, though not 100%.

Those who have the 18 way seats without the full leather interior in the US, care to chime in so we know this definitively?
I doubt that this true to be honest, but if it is, than it's a very good point you have.

The 14-way seats are slightly more expensive than the 18-way seats, because the backrests of the 18-way seats are not covered in leather. For that, you need an extra option called XWK (XWL for 991 Turbo S)
This difference in price applies to all markets. In Germany the difference is EUR 30.00.
For EU cars, there is no difference in the parts that are covered in smooth leather between these two options.

The only thing I can imagine, why they would do it different for U.S. market is to save money, because MSRP in U.S. is so much lower than the EU market. On the other hand, I can't imagine that it saves them a lot of money, so I personally doubt that this is the case.
From a production POV, it would not have any financial benefits to do the interior different for U.S. market only.

If it is the way that rpilot says, it would indeed be nice if people that know for sure can chime in to clearify this, so I can change that on my PDF sheet.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
I doubt that this true to be honest, but if it is, than it's a very good point you have.

The 14-way seats are slightly more expensive than the 18-way seats, because the backrests of the 18-way seats are not covered in leather. For that, you need an extra option called XWK (XWL for 991 Turbo S)
This difference in price applies to all markets. In Germany the difference is EUR 30.00.
For EU cars, there is no difference in the parts that are covered in smooth leather between these two options.

The only thing I can imagine, why they would do it different for U.S. market is to save money, because MSRP in U.S. is so much lower than the EU market. On the other hand, I can't imagine that it saves them a lot of money, so I personally doubt that this is the case.
From a production POV, it would not have any financial benefits to do the interior different for U.S. market only.

If it is the way that rpilot says, it would indeed be nice if people that know for sure can chime in to clearify this, so I can change that on my PDF sheet.
I now have it from a good source via PM here (fbroen, Many thanks) who has 18 way seats on a C2S without full leather interior, that the interior leathers are different front / back.

This is the same discussion that happened a year or so ago when Riley in a separte thread and Eduardo in the custom order thread discussed this.

So to summarize with the 14 way seats and "leather seats", all leather that is present front and back is the smooth leather. With the 18 way "leather seats" only the front is the smooth leather along with whatever comes standard on the car as smooth leather. The rear seats and rear center tunnel in the 18 way seats are the grain basic leather. This also explains why the 18 way seats are $50 cheaper than the 14 way seats in the US config. I also checked the configurator for Germany, UK & Switzerland and the 18 way seats are cheaper everywhere when only "leather seats" are selected. So, it leads me to believe that this is the case everywhere although I know for sure it is so in the US.

Also, adding leather to shell backrests in 18 way seats (XWK) does not update the back seats to the better leather either.

Hope you update this in your .pdf

PS: There is also another minor error, the numbers are mixed up in the diagram and the key, 4.1 vs 4.4 in your .pdf for the back seats.

Last edited by rpilot; 10-25-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpilot
I now have it from a good source via PM here (fbroen, Many thanks) who has 18 way seats on a C2S without full leather interior, that the interior leathers are different front / back. This is the same discussion that happened a year or so ago when Riley in a separte thread and Eduardo in the custom order thread discussed this. So to summarize with the 14 way seats and "leather seats", all leather that is present front and back is the smooth leather. With the 18 way "leather seats" only the front is the smooth leather along with whatever comes standard on the car as smooth leather. The rear seats and rear center tunnel in the 18 way seats are the grain basic leather. This also explains why the 18 way seats are $50 cheaper than the 14 way seats in the US config. I also checked the configurator for Germany, UK & Switzerland and the 18 way seats are cheaper everywhere when only "leather seats" are selected. So, it leads me to believe that this is the case everywhere although I know for sure it is so in the US. Also, adding leather to shell backrests in 18 way seats (XWK) does not update the back seats to the better leather either. Hope you update this in your .pdf PS: There is also another minor error, the numbers are mixed up in the diagram and the key, 4.1 vs 4.4 in your .pdf for the back seats.
I'm sorry for your source and for those threads, but this is definitely not true. The leather used for both 14- and 18- way seats is the same on all parts with both options, except of course the backrest of the front seats. That is plastic on the 18-way seats.
When selecting option XWK, the backrest of the 18-way seats get covered in smooth leather, together with the coat hooks, base plate backrest release, plating trim and the seat console. (Incl. Decorative stitching on those parts)

As I stated in another thread:

The price difference has nothing to do with the leather itself.

If you look at the sheet I attached, you see that the option "leather seats" is standard for the 18-way seats, so no additional costs. They are not available as "partial leather seats". The seats themselves, incl. The option "leather seats" cost $ 3825.
The 14-way seats come standard as "partial leather seats" and cost $ 2320. The additional costs for "leather seats" is $1555. ----> 2320+1555 = 3875

That is where the price difference comes from.

I will check and change the mixed up numbers and add this pricing sheet to my leather interiors explained sheet. thanks for mentioning it.

Name:  3303995aeb7083d8eb0309adede34d2e_zpsec9992ec.jpg
Views: 3670
Size:  129.2 KB

Suzy (via iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 10-25-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:38 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

PDF-sheet is expanded and updated.

You can download it with the link in the first post.

Suzy
Old 10-24-2014, 10:18 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

PDF-sheet is expanded and updated.

You can download it with the link in the first post.

Suzy
I have referred to this key many times. I must thank you again as it is most useful.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:39 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry if I've missed it, what is the difference in option code "AZ" Leather Interior in Black and option code "GG" Leather Interior in Black, both with 4-way seats?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

PDF-sheet is expanded and updated. You can download it with the link in the first post. Suzy
Thank you, very helpful. Do you know if "steering column casing in leather" option XNS, is available after market from Porsche or otherwise?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
Thank you, very helpful. Do you know if "steering column casing in leather" option XNS, is available after market from Porsche or otherwise?
Yes it is.

Steering Column Casing in Leather
Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Thanks. Much more expensive then factory order. I was trying to remember Suncoast parts. Now I have it.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:07 AM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Sorry if I've missed it, what is the difference in option code "AZ" Leather Interior in Black and option code "GG" Leather Interior in Black, both with 4-way seats?
Anyone? I went nuts and just ordered every leather option on my 991.2 turbo s but im curious what the difference is?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by parabola19
...my 991.2 turbo s...
No idea about your actual question, but see, here's the problem with the 991.2; Do you have a 991.2 turbo S or a 991.2 Turbo S that you forgot to capitalize? I predict dire confusion on RList in coming years.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Touche, 991.2 Turbo S
Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

For my 991.2, I was back & forth re which leather & how much leather. Whether to get deviated stitching ($$$$$)

The “confusilator” was not very straightforward re fully explaining the various leather options, IMO.
The simple answer I was looking for was what, exactly is covered with leather & what is not with each of the different leather options.
Surprisingly, the SA was no help here. I even went to a different dealership close by & just asked a different SA questions & they didn’t really know. Also there were not many 911s (991.2) to physically look at with different leather options. Typically, the few I could see either had basic leather or Natural leather.

I wanted to see a diagram, no such luck. (I did find a diagram for MY2013 991)
I didn’t want Sport-Tex Seats even though they looked great. I needed ventilated seats, it is HOT here, desert SW, Much of the year.

The basic seat leather choices are:

1) Std interior/Partial Leather Seats +$0
Includes:
Covered in Black Partial Leather
- Front seat centers
- Front side bolsters
- Front headrests
Covered in Black Smooth-Finish Leather
- Steering wheel rim
- Gear shift lever or gear selector
- Door handles
- Door armrests and paneling
- Center console storage compartment lid
NOTE:
Standard interior includes partial leather seats.

2) Standard Interior / Leather Seats (Front) +$0
( I do not know what the difference is between #1 & #2 but did not look into it since I am leaning towards the other options)

3) Leather Interior / Leather Seats (+ $3850, or + $4280)
4 colors & 3, 2-tone color choices!

4) Leather Interior / Sport-Tex Seats (+ $3850 for 2 tone leather + cloth)

5) Natural Leather Interior / Natural Leather Seats (+ $5370)

This is the highest leather option, not counting adding all the extra bits I will list. But…apparently, if you go for this you only get 1 color choice… Brown. (Espresso) or Brown + light brown (Cognac)
No way to get Dk Brown color with middle leather option.
Then under “Interior Leather” section, OMG!
29 more leather options!
I was leaning towards Graphite Blue with Deviated Chalk centers. I was thinking I wanted the middle leather option. My 1st impulse was to say NO! To all the additional leather options.
I did finally pony up for the Steering column casing in leather (w/o deviated stitching) + $470 bc I could see the column every time I entered. I thought it would stand out if I had leather dash but not column.
I finally found a diagram that shows exactly what you’d get if you buy the instrument surround in leather.
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8871...-config-2.html

I don't think it is that noticeable. I didn’t get it.
I did not want deviated stitching, which I thought would reflect onto the instrument gauges, which I would not like. Also…$$$$$!
I was unable see a photo of the deviated seat color (Chalk) for the seat centers.
The lack of photos may mean this is an unpopular choice & can hurt resale.
When I selected GB wi chalk centers, the configurator picture just showed the GB. No help in deciding!
I read a very long thread on RL about LTS. 90 pages! Ordering LTS adds much time & $$$$$$! Also very complicated process.
I did not want to pay thousands to get LTS. Especially bc I would then need to be extremely careful I did not end up with some horrible mismatched, painted plastic parts, as some LTS customers were stuck with.
I finally found & did sit in a 911 with Natural leather (Dark Brown "Espresso") I liked it more than I thought I would. Didn't realize it was so dark. I wasn't thrilled with it in the photos as much.
I finally chose the brown color, which was only available if I got Natural Leather. I concluded it goes GREAT with Agate Gray due to the brownish tones of that particular paint.
I had thought (apparently in error) that when you paid the extra $$$ for NL vs. the middle leather option, you got better quality leather & also more surfaces covered in leather.

I now think you get EXACTLY the same amount of leather! The only "advantage" of NL for the extra $$$$:

The 2 colors (Espresso/Cognac), not available in the mid leather option
'Better' quality

I also discovered if I got 18 way seats, my original choice, the backrest shell would NOT be covered in leather. If 14 way, yes, leather backs. Since all the 911s I test drove had 14 way & they seemed fine, I got those.
Re seat adjustments, the only adjustments I will lose are the seat bolsters & the back bolsters. Some say the 14 way seat bottom is less padded vs. the 18 way…IDK. I could not sit in 18 way seats on a 991.2.

Conclusions:
Copied from the configurator:

Natural Leather Interior in Espresso
Includes:
Covered in Espresso Natural Leather
- Front seat centers, seat bolsters, headrests and backrest shells
- Steering wheel rim and airbag module
- Gearshift lever or PDK gear selector
- Center console storage compartment lid and side section
- Dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
- Dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
- Door handles, armrests and paneling incl. top section
- Door panel inserts
- Rear seat centers, bolsters and side paneling
- Rear center tunnel cover
- A-pillar (Cabriolet)
NOTE:
Natural leather is carefully dyed to preserve natural features.
Dashboard decorative trim incl. cupholder trim and decorative door trim in Galvano Silver.
Front seat backrest shells are not covered in leather with Sport Seats Plus or Adaptive Sport Seats Plus since the shell is painted.
$5,370
---------------------------------------------------------
Leather Interior in Graphite Blue
Includes:
Covered in Graphite Blue Smooth-Finish Leather
- Front seat centers, seat bolsters, headrests and backrest shells
- Steering wheel rim and airbag module
- Gearshift lever or PDK gear selector
- Center console storage compartment lid and side section
- Dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
- Dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
- Door handles, armrests and paneling incl. top section
- Door panel inserts
- Rear seat centers, bolsters and side paneling
- Rear center tunnel cover
- A-pillar (Cabriolet)
NOTE:
Dashboard decorative trim incl. cupholder trim and decorative door trim in Galvano Silver.
Front seat backrest shells are not covered in leather with Sport Seats Plus or Adaptive Sport Seats Plus since the shell is painted.
$4,280
================================================== ==
Price difference = $1,090
Get better quality leather?
Get that Brown color
Nothing else

So, I hope this long post helps others trying to decide which leather to get.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Espresso is so worth it. If you can get the 3D configurator to work, it shows all the extra leather pieces very well. It’s sad some SA don’t know what’s what, but I could show you on any car what comes in leather for each option.

Espresso, sport plus seat backs, door/dash/console trim in leather, maybe even vents and slats in leather. Oooh so niiiiicccceeee.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
For my 991.2, I was back & forth re which leather & how much leather. Whether to get deviated stitching ($$$$$)
It's a slippery slope. If you are paying attention (as you obviously are), "full leather" (which is really just partial leather) is just the beginning down the slippery slope of adding more and more leather components in order to truly get full leather. True full leather is easily into five figures.

Nice of you to post that information. And nice blast from the past seeing a Suzy991 thread. Suzy hasn't been around for a good while, she may have become disenchanted by the confusilator.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991: Leather Interior choices explained