991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My favorite phone mount option

Old 08-26-2013, 07:54 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I find that the best place to mount the Kenu is on the edge of the open "ashtray" door. Found that the phone was hard to reach mounted on the vents, since my seat is all the way back (I'm 6'2").
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 AM
ColoradoCayenne
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
I find that the best place to mount the Kenu is on the edge of the open "ashtray" door. Found that the phone was hard to reach mounted on the vents, since my seat is all the way back (I'm 6'2").
Creative and functional. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
charge69
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you mind posting a pic? Thank you!!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by charge69

Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 with the optional rubber protection cover, and luckily it fits perfectly snug in the left side cup-holder when the cup band is fully extended. The phone doesn't block the vents or any controls or screens from there. Since it is the cup-holder it is obviously easy to reach, and up high enough to see at a glance.

I do not spend a lot of time playing with the phone when I am driving so the fact that the band covers a small portion of the screen is irrelevant to me. When the phone "rings" I clearly see who it is and whether I care to answer. Also easy to see who texted and the first sentence of what they said (since that is all that is displayed on the screen if you do not actually access the message function).

If I choose to, I can simply fold it away as it was meant to do. No obvious evidence that a smart phone lives there since it is just an empty cup-holder... or a stowed one.

Admittedly, other smart phones may not work as well in the cup-holder.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought this a few months ago and think it's just so-so. I slide it onto the center vent vanes and it's not that solid a mount. It does place it into the line-of-sight better than console mounted units. I have to periodically press it back into the vanes as it slowly loosens its grip. And after a few minutes of spirited driving it goes flying off. I'm still looking for something better.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 AM
charge69
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to post pics!

Very helpful!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Magnetic Console Phone Mount

I just found a great way to mount a phone in our cars using a magnetic mounting device called “Magic Mount” from Scosche. The device is a two-piece system with a pivoting adhesive held base mount with a strong magnet on the phone mounting side that adheres to the phone by a companion paper thin adhesive held plate that affixes either to the back of the phone itself, or between the phone an existing case (or on the back of the case itself).
The mount base fits in the coin holder of non smoker cars via adhesive backing (I took the rubber base out to allow better adhesion of the mount’s adhesive bottom), and by luck the top surface of the magnetic plate side fits flush with the console allowing good contact with the phone’s plate when the phone is put resting on the console. It is then held fixed in place by the strong magnet of the base unit. I have the large iPhone 6+ so even when the bottom of the phone is flush with the center storage compartment it extends a bit over the bottom two console switch rows, but at least in my car’s setup these aren’t switches I would need to press frequently. A smaller iPhone 6 or comparable size phone would expose at least another row.
Other than in a crash, the phone is well held flush to the console by the extremely strong magnet of the base piece, and it is easily accessible and looks as good as a phone can when mounted in our cars. One could route a charging cable right into the center storage box if needed.
Available a Best Buy or Amazon for about $30. Be sure to order the model with the swivel mount (the other model just has a mounting magnetic plate which is affixed by adhesive)
See pix of the mount in the console, the phone mounted on it and of the device package.
Attached Images      
Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by charge69
If it's in the ashtray, it's a long way looking back and forth for Waze.. Hard to watch the road. I'm 6'1" and can still easily reach the phone on the vents, plus I use Waze a lot to watch for cops. If your seating position is set correctly (break of wrist at top of wheel), it's easy to reach ymmv.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I don't think any of those mounts really work without getting in the way of the car's functionality like the cup holder or air vent. Besides when I get in the car I do not answer the phone, emails or text messages. I just concentrate in the driving. Living in Miami you need full concentration if you want to keep your car in pristine condition.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Why do you want to mount your cell phone in a car that has Bluetooth? I just keep my iPhone5 in my pocket.
yup
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

My 911 deserves my full attention. The iPhone goes out of sight into the door compartment. Can't have a phone mount messing up the interior.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Why do you want to mount your cell phone in a car that has Bluetooth? I just keep my iPhone5 in my pocket.
because you can't monitor waze if it is in your pocket
Old 01-06-2016, 04:46 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Went over to my local Apple store and picked up the Kenu Airframe. Works perfectly in the 991 and the Infiniti. With the dash top vents set to waft air, and the other one blowing full tilt it doesn't block the other one above the PCS enough to matter. Simple, elegant solution! Thanks SB.

(PS puts Waze right were it needs to be. What agreat app)
Been using the Airframe in our cars for years. Great product.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
because you can't monitor waze if it is in your pocket
she drives and you can monitor waze?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My favorite phone mount option