New to Porsche, some basic Qs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Porsche, some basic Qs.

Hi,

Just ordered our first Porsche. 2014 911 basic (not the S). Very excited. We have been driving BMWs for quite a while now so this is our first sport car.

I have been trying to find some info here, and on the porsche website but no luck. I did try to search but I either missed it, or the info is not here. So here it is:

Where can I download the pdf user manual for the car?

What kind of luggage do you guys use for this car? I did see some fitted luggage on some UK websites but I won't pay 1-2k GBP to buy 4 pieces of luggage. I would like to take a 3-4 day trip for the engine break in.

What tires are they delivering them with? (We got the 20".) Are they run flat? When we test drove I forgot to look into the trunk, but I would hope they have no spare and use run flats.

That is is for now, I am sure I will have more later. Thanks!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pdf manual - I think there is a site. Failing that, perhaps the dealership where you ordered your car will lend you a manual.
The car has huge space (if there are only two of you) both up front and on the back seat. You should easily fit ample stuff (unless you're a quick-change artist).
UK cars get 20" tyres; mine were Pirelli (December 12 delivery) but my previous car arrived with Bridgestones.
They were not run-flats.
No spare in the trunk; just an aerosol repair ki. You can buy a collapsed 20" space-saver spare - not Porsche product - to carry around.

Good luck with the car, I think you'll love it.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:50 AM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Regarding luggage, two stacked Tumi 24" roll-ons fit perfectly in the Frunk (front trunk), additionally we also use a couple small tumi duffel bags in back seat. There is more room in the frunk than appears. We need specs of your order, you will truly enjoy your new PCAR.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While waiting for my car (6 1/2 months) I went to the dealership and ordered a manual for it. Cost was about $28 in Canada. Very easy to do and far easier to work with than a sheaf of pdf printouts. Almost any luggage of airline carryon sizing will fit two in Frunk. I then use small duffel bag types for rear seat area if I need more.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Thanks guys! I will buy a copy, just read it until it gets here.

So it is not a run flat. I guess I will have to replace those once they wear out. I like run flats for the piece of mind.

Here are my specs. Since the car will be driven most the time by my wife (I drive very little lately), I had to delete a lot of things I wanted, like manual gearbox and sport exhaust, etc. But I figured this is all good, this is our first Porsche and we will work our way up on the models over time, enjoy every step, just like we did it with the BMWs.

911 Carrera
0Q White
AG Standard Interior in Black
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
653 Sunroof in glass
658 Power Steering Plus
840 SportDesign steering wheel
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3E Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great color, wheel and roof selection; the car will look fantastic. My car was built on May 15th, 2013 and came with Pirelli P Zero tires.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have and had run flats on my BMW's and they are the worst tires I've ever had on any car in 50 years of driving. The tires are substantially heavier than normal tires and might create a handling problem on a 991. Notwithstanding the much higher cost the ride is rough and noisy. Unless Porsche certifies them (I doubt that will ever happen for the 911 Series) I'd stay away and take my chances.

It is my understanding that all 991's with 20" wheels come with the Pirelli's exclusively as a result of an exclusive arrangement between Porsche and Pirelli wherein Pirelli paid the development costs of these new tires in exchange for exclusivity for I think 3 years.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Our last few cars came with Potenza tires. I loved them. The 550 came with Michelin tires in 2011 and those were slippery. I replaced them with Potenza just a few months ago and I have not seen the anti skid activate ever since.

So I had great experience with Bridgestone run flats. Not to mention the lifetime was around 20-25k on those cars. But since we live in SE Florida, it is always warm. They might suck in colder seasons. Plus we don't have many curves to really experience the grip. But not standing on the side of 95 at 11pm is a huge plus here if you know what I mean. On average we get one flat a year between the two cars. FL highways are junk yards.

I guess I will check with the dealer before I do anything. That spray thing sounds pretty iffy to me. So you carry an electric pump too I would imagine.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been my understanding that all 991's come with P Zero's. I love mine, but I am comparing them with my 09' 997 C2S Cab. Those tires were too noisy to hear the radio over highway speeds, on concrete surface you had to yell at your passenger to be heard. I am getting ready to order PSS's only because so many of the scribes on this and several other P car forums are so high on them. You have a great car, no matter what tire is on it.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

So what are the actual dimensions on the 20"? Can anyone post that. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Thanks guys! I will buy a copy, just read it until it gets here.

So it is not a run flat. I guess I will have to replace those once they wear out. I like run flats for the piece of mind.

Here are my specs. Since the car will be driven most the time by my wife (I drive very little lately), I had to delete a lot of things I wanted, like manual gearbox and sport exhaust, etc. But I figured this is all good, this is our first Porsche and we will work our way up on the models over time, enjoy every step, just like we did it with the BMWs.

911 Carrera
0Q White
AG Standard Interior in Black
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
427 20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
653 Sunroof in glass
658 Power Steering Plus
840 SportDesign steering wheel
P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3E Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest
The 991 does not come with run flats, nor is it available as an option. But my experience with run flats in my BMW was that I ended up with 6 flats in about as many years, by far the worst record compared with what I have experienced with my other non-run flat cars. My conclusion is that run flats are more prone to go flat. Never got a flat tire in 32000 kms driving the 911.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't think Porsche has certified any run flats for use on any of their cars. Only one that comes with spare is the Cayenne, I think. I had a Panamera and no spare or run flats, and of course not on my C2S. Used to be you had no choice on tires; just which brand was in line for your production number. Seems like all are Pirelli's now. You can download the manual from the Porsche Cars North America wed site.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by porshanut
Don't think Porsche has certified any run flats for use on any of their cars. Only one that comes with spare is the Cayenne, I think. I had a Panamera and no spare or run flats, and of course not on my C2S. Used to be you had no choice on tires; just which brand was in line for your production number. Seems like all are Pirelli's now. You can download the manual from the Porsche Cars North America wed site.
Well, it was just a question. Run flats have rigid side walls. May be too much for a 20". Regardless, I just turned 40 and I have not felt this excited about getting a car for a very long time now. So it is not like this will make a difference. I just need to buy another Glock 26 to sit in the glove box permanently :-))))

Any chance for the link to the manual. I can't find it. Today is the perfect day to read it as I am sitting in my hotel room doing nothing. Driving me nuts.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Well, it was just a question. Run flats have rigid side walls. May be too much for a 20". Regardless, I just turned 40 and I have not felt this excited about getting a car for a very long time now. So it is not like this will make a difference. I just need to buy another Glock 26 to sit in the glove box permanently :-))))

Any chance for the link to the manual. I can't find it. Today is the perfect day to read it as I am sitting in my hotel room doing nothing. Driving me nuts.
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...-75/Sport-mode
This page highlights Sports mode. You can search for anything you want.
Don't even think about putting run flats on the 991. They're not suited to it.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, some basic Qs.