Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S PDK throttle hesitation from start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Richie Rich
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked my 991s up in April, and have been experiencing this issue since. Terribly annoying, almost embarrassing.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM
outofmoney
Intermediate

I have only had by 2013 991 C4S for one month now and noticed this hesitation. I even remarked about it on an email to Porsche they had sent me to inquire about my experience. It reminds me of previous turbo cars I have owned. It does not take much throttle to notice. I did not realize that others were having issue also.
Cheers.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outofmoney
I have only had by 2013 991 C4S for one month now and noticed this hesitation. I even remarked about it on an email to Porsche they had sent me to inquire about my experience. It reminds me of previous turbo cars I have owned. It does not take much throttle to notice. I did not realize that others were having issue also.
Cheers.
The e63 has the same issue. I think all dct, dsg, pdk etc trannies have this "issue". Got used to it...almost feels like the clutch needs a tenth of a second to disengage.
I changed my drive habits to roll off stops then mash the throttle.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
The e63 has the same issue. I think all dct, dsg, pdk etc trannies have this "issue". Got used to it...almost feels like the clutch needs a tenth of a second to disengage.
The new E63? Was seriously contemplating that at my time of purchase.

How do you like it? Or did you just drive it.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM
karas
3rd Gear

Add me to the list. 2013 C4S. Issues began after "transmission software upgrade" at last visit to dealer about 6 weeks ago.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Funny, me too! I test drove the E63 and I liked it fine, but it didn't thrill my soul, you know? Then I thought, "if I'm going to spend over $100K on a car, I should just buy a Porsche". And so I did.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dalema
Originally Posted by RR

How do you like it? Or did you just drive it.
Mine was a 2010 had it for 3 years. Normally aspirated. I really liked it.
But I too noticed the hesitation especially in comfort mode immediately after I pulled off the lot.
It felt real sloppy.

I just changed my drive habits. Always drove it in manual and I feathered the throttle off stops before mashing it.

The other thing the 63 does is if you drive in manual, sport, or sport plus when coming to a stop the car will shift down all the way to first and the shift from second to first can sometimes be real jerky. If your in comfort mode the car will only come down to second and you will start from second at a stop- thus the sloppiness from starting t a stop in comfort.

But the full on power shifts in manual from 2-3,3-4,4-5 are super,super fast and the sound the car makes - you know that pop pop pop is amazing. Its a great transmission.

I drove 991 pdk and it is no where exciting as the e63 the 991 pdk is boring compared to the 63. I think though that the gt3's pdk will be like the 63.

Last edited by RR; 08-09-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Bocatrip
AutoX

Originally Posted by karas
Add me to the list. 2013 C4S. Issues began after "transmission software upgrade" at last visit to dealer about 6 weeks ago.
It's interesting that a number of owners have first noticed the PDK hesitation after the transmission software upgrade. If this upgrade initiated or made the hesitation more pronounced, it does leave hope that another future upgrade can reverse or improve the problem.....hopefully eliminate it.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It's interesting that a number of owners have first noticed the PDK hesitation after the transmission software upgrade. If this upgrade initiated or made the hesitation more pronounced, it does leave hope that another future upgrade can reverse or improve the problem.....hopefully eliminate it.

Issue was the same before and after the PDK software "May" update.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM
porschebetta
AutoX

Has anyone who has this problem driven another car with a dual clutch transmission?

I have owned an Mitsubishi Evo X TC-SST and an Audi S5 (S-Tronic DSG). The TC-SST has massive insane lag, around half a second. It was one of the reasons why I got rid of it. The Audi DSG is much more responsive and if you slam the gas pedal...it usually moves fairly quickly.

Does anyone who experiences this problem left-foot brake? I started doing this in the Evo X TC-SST to reduce the severity of the lag problem... I would hit the gas while lifting off the brake...this overlap period would help with the lag problem. Sometimes though, when the Audi is coming to a stop, if you hit the gas too soon it will either do one of two things - slam and launch forward like you have been rear ended or bog down and not move for over a second. I prefer the violent slam and launch forward! Dual clutches have quirks.

I test drove a 991 4S and I launched it straight away...in normal driving I did notice that there was some lag (it had sport chrono+). I think I need to test drive it again reading this thread (and not kick the **** out of it so much). If I'm paying $140k for a car, I cannot tolerate a transmission that takes half a second to move.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by porschebetta
Dual clutches have quirks.
[...]
If I'm paying $140k for a car, I cannot tolerate a transmission that takes half a second to move.
Exactly. I still don't understand why so many drivers seem to be he11-bent on defending the quirks, rather than on trying to get some focus on fixing the poor performance.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 AM
porschebetta
AutoX

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Exactly. I still don't understand why so many drivers seem to be he11-bent on defending the quirks, rather than on trying to get some focus on fixing the poor performance.

One thing I have noticed is that some people assume that because there is a Porsche badge on it, that it's perfect....or....they don't care, as at most of the porsche dealers i have been to, the cars have had purely cosmetic options...e.g. they have sports tail pipes and no sports exhuast! They don't have sports chrono...but have a rear view mirror in leather...they buy the cars for the image and don't drive them.

It's also sad that they don't recognize these things in car reviews....Porsche can put insane launch control on the cars so that they get a great 0-60 time....but when you drive them every day they are laggy and unresponsive.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:17 AM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it pathetic that Porsche does not have a solution to this issue. How about enabling the GT3 feature of pulling both paddles and releasing to initiate an instant clutch release?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Default Good news - it's fixed

Took my November 2012 build 991 Carrera S in for its 10.000Km oil change.

This car had the throttle hesitation from stand still as described here in this thread - and yes I agree, it was not a great thing.

Dealer informed me that my car needed its "control unit" updated but did not know what the update did except that it had something to do with the PDK.

I picked up the car and, since it was raining on that day and the roads were wet promptly spun the rears when pulling away from the first traffic light. Hmmm - something had changed.

Anyway, two days later with dry tarmac I could test this a little bit more in detail. Yes, there is no more hesitation left at all. RPM builds instantly with smooth application of clutch a moment later - foot flat and clutch is fully engaged at about 4000 RPM which is reached quickly in any mode. Perfect - could not be better !

Also, in Sport-Plus the gear changes with foot flat are much more violent than before. In fact they are what they where when I first did a test drive in an early 991 back in March last year - but my car sadly lacked the same response - I put it down on me just having got used to it. Clearly, that is not the case.

My 991 has got its 911 Mojo back.

Rainier
Old 08-11-2013, 01:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by porschebetta
One thing I have noticed is that some people assume that because there is a Porsche badge on it, that it's perfect....or....they don't care, as at most of the porsche dealers i have been to, the cars have had purely cosmetic options...e.g. they have sports tail pipes and no sports exhuast! They don't have sports chrono...but have a rear view mirror in leather...they buy the cars for the image and don't drive them.

It's also sad that they don't recognize these things in car reviews....Porsche can put insane launch control on the cars so that they get a great 0-60 time....but when you drive them every day they are laggy and unresponsive.
What is the spec on your laggy and unresponsive 991S?

Quick Reply: 991S PDK throttle hesitation from start