Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   991S PDK throttle hesitation from start (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/764160-991s-pdk-throttle-hesitation-from-start.html)

CarManDSL 07-02-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by veilsideLGD (Post 10581747)
I had the update performed last Friday and have noticed the same thing. Immediately upon acceleration, there is a slight hesitation before the vehicle actually gets going. I've noticed this in all modes.

So this was not an issue before the update?

What is the date of your build and have you had any previous service updates?

Mine is a May 14 2012 build and no updates. First to be Jul18.

veilsideLGD 07-03-2013 01:46 AM

This was not an issue prior to the update. I immediately noticed the hesitation when I punched the pedal from a stop or a slow roll. I have a November 2012 build and no product updates.

rodsky 07-03-2013 04:23 PM

Buy a 997.2S :) JK. But I have no hesitation on my 997 w PDK. It moves off the line fast without delay when you hit it.

Seems like there's an issue that needs to be resolved.

Carrera GT 07-03-2013 05:22 PM

I just did the update and drove a couple hundred road miles and a track session at Laguna Seca. It's okay, but not improved. Throttle tip-in is vague (be it from a standstill or various conditions going from a closed throttle to applying power) and there's some sort of hesitation around 3000-4000 rpm that I've diagnosed, but it's not intrusive and I've not had the opportunity to try to video the tach/speedo to see where it's happening. Downshifts are harsh and it still has a way of not quite getting the engine stop-start "right." I've read that Porsche is working on a stop-start for future models and model years that will allow the engine to shut off while the vehicle is moving below something like 10 km/h under brakes (which seems to me to be a good way to get around some of the problems.)

Bocatrip 07-27-2013 12:23 AM

Any updates on this hesitation problem? It seems to be a common occurrence on most base model (2.7)981s with PDK having the hesitation from a dead stop. Owners have complained to Porsche with no positive results.

petee1997 07-27-2013 10:49 AM

I have the same problem on my S.

solomonschris 07-27-2013 10:53 AM

I think this is an Porsche/Audi/VW wide problem. I have a newish Jetta TDI that has the problem the worst. You are never sure how long the lag will be. If you put your foot on the brake and push down on the accelerator nothing happens...the tach doesn't move a bit. My '06 A6 Avant has the same problem that is not near as bad. It happens much less often and the lag is less but crossing the highway in front of an oncoming dump truck can be a sphincter tightening experience. The lag that I notice on my April '12 build C2S with PDK is mostly when the engine is not yet up to operating temp. In my case it happens at under half throttle. I never floor it until the engine is warm.

As to the post concerning the Corvette's hole shot capability, 6.2 liters against 3.8 liters with cars of similar weight....that outcome is easy to predict.

Harold1898 07-27-2013 11:34 AM

Hi to you all, I traded my 2012 C63 in on a new 991S with PDK three weeks ago and I have not noticed any hesitation. Coming out of the AMG I expected to be disappointed down low but it has been a pleasant surprise.

M3nomore 07-27-2013 12:08 PM

I've also noticed the hesitation from a stop in my 2013 C4S. Had an M3 with DCT as last car which didn't have the issue so you can't blame it on the absence of a torque converter. I'm a little disappointed and hope Porsche will address it.

911sanantone 07-27-2013 12:56 PM

This is an interesting coincidence. I just finished reading multiple threads on the "PDK versus MT" threads as I get closer to deciding the final build on a 50th anniversary. I am wondering how pervasive an issue this is. Clearly, PDK proponents in previous threads LOVE their PDK's and for understandable reasons but I have not seen this issue in previous threads (maybe I missed something).
I would really appreciate it if 991 PDK owners would reply to this thread and comment on whether or not they have or are experiencing this. This would help folks like me who are still considering which tranny to go with and if this is issue is more pervasive, it may help push Porsche to address in a more timely fashion.
Thanks....

extanker 07-27-2013 01:06 PM

different car but same issue. 09 cayman base pdk. if i try to power brake it ,even a little ,i get lag. if i just release the brake and nail it i have no issues aside the car has very little torque.......but that is another issue.i have noticed that on winter days the trans can be a little "sleepy" the first minute or so of driving.i do like pdk...........but i am old.imho

M3nomore 07-27-2013 01:08 PM

I had a 991 C2 MT and now have a 991 C4S with PDK. Even with the hesitation issue from a stop, I still far prefer PDK. The lag reminds me of the delay you get as you let out a clutch on the MT. It just doesn't pop off the line as you'd expect from an automatic or a BMW DCT (getrag if i remember correctly). I like the PDK because you don't get the torque interruption as you work through the gears. It's much faster and smoother. I also hated the clutch on the 991 MT and thought it was way to stiff. I drive a 996TT and thought the manual execution on that car was much better although maybe too much boost. Porsche and ZF need to iron this out. Hope it can be fixed with a software patch.

911sanantone 07-27-2013 01:24 PM

Thanks for the follow-up and I look forward to reading more of these.
Has anyone either reached out directly to Porsche USA or asked their dealer to do so?

Bocatrip 07-27-2013 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 911sanantone (Post 10640897)
Thanks for the follow-up and I look forward to reading more of these.
Has anyone either reached out directly to Porsche USA or asked their dealer to do so?

Identical problem with the 981 Base with PDK. There are currently 100 posts to a thread titled "Base Boxster hesitates from a dead stop". It affects the Base 2.7 981 Boxster/Caymans with PDK. The manual and S models do not seem to be affected.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...dead-stop.html

TRAKCAR 07-27-2013 06:07 PM

Maybe they fix it in the GT3 PDK-S